Author Topic: Contessa Ride Height  (Read 7194 times)

Gil_Johnson

Contessa Ride Height
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Does anyone know what the height is to the centerline of your receiver hitch on a 2008 Contessa Westport 42?  Mine is 14 1/2", but I don't know if my coach's ride heigth is what it should be and it's a 1,000 miles from me right now.

Thanks,

Gil

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
Re: Contessa Ride Height
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
Gil,
Measured our 2008 40' Contessa Pacifica and it is 14.5" to center.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

marty christensen

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:05:25 PM »
Gil, mine measurement is about the same.  I have a different problem.  My right rear deflates down to where the frame is within a 1/2" of the tire.  This occurs when the coach is parked over a 2 week period.  Even traveling down the road that right rear even though it is pumped up feels soft.  When I lift the tag axle the tag never comes off the ground on the righr.  I guess I have an air valve problem.   Maybe someone has the answer.

Marty Christensen
08 Contessa, 400 hp

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
Quote from: marty christensen
..... My right rear deflates down to where the frame is within a 1/2" of the tire.  This occurs when the coach is parked over a 2 week period.  Even traveling down the road that right rear even though it is pumped up feels soft.....

Marty,

My guess is you have two problems.

You have two leveling valves in the back and one in the front.  They should all be set so that the airbags are filled to specified measurement.  Mine is 10".  Yours may be different.  If one of the rear ones is off a little you might get an impression of "soft".  However, it is probably not actually soft because the pressure in the bag is determined by weight.  Volume in the bag is determined by the setting on the valve.  They are very easy to adjust but very dangerous as well.  If the person makes a mistake, the coach can squish them dead!  The easy way to check safely is to park on a very level surface, crawl under and measure the the bags.  They should be the same.  If not, get them adjusted.

The second problem is that you may have a slow leak.  As the air seeps out of the plumbing associated with the right rear air bags, the valve compensates and takes air from the storage tank.  Sooner or later the tank is empty and, as the remaining air seeps out, the right side drops.  If after two weeks, the gauge on the dash shows pressure remaining in the tank, I am completely wrong!

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 11:43:41 PM »
Thanks for confirming 14.5".  I just installed Roadmaster tow plate and it's height is almost 20".  For the life of me I can't understand while Roadmaster didn't engineer their system for a more typical ride height.  As I recall, most pick up trucks have a hitch height of about 16".

Looks like I need a receiver offset of about 5".

Gil

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »
[quote author=]For the life of me I can't understand while Roadmaster didn't engineer their system for a more typical ride height.  As I recall, most pick up trucks have a hitch height of about 16".
Gil[/quote]

I don't know that there is a "typical" situation, Gil.  Ride height and hitch height are two different things.  Like other mfrs., Roadmaster designs the mounting brackets specific to the vehicle being towed.  But coaches can have different hitch heights, the only control over which Roadmaster has is the use of Hi-Low hitches to raise or lower that height.  Our Explorer was a bit higher than our '06 Monterey's hitch, and the towbar always had a slight slope to it.  Our coach regularly drags bottom back there, for complex reasons I won't get into here, but suffice it to say the hitch is relatively low.  

I finally had Roadmaster, at their Vancouver, WA, main facility, add the appropriate Hi-Low, Quiet Hitch, and a Rollaway to my setup.  They know more about what they're doing than others I've been to, and charge little if anything for their time.  The year before, I had them reconfigure (sans coach) the toad's front hitch setup, esp. the air, breakaway, and electric fittings, because Camping World's initial installation left much to be desired.  Roadmaster charged nothing for their tech's time.  I can't say enough positive things about Roadmaster's people, at least in the Portland/Vancouver facilities.

My point is that coaches are different and toads are different;  the owner has to adapt his setup accordingly, from a low 2WD small car to Hummers.  A towbar mfr. can only do so much up to that point, but they can and do offer adaptive devices per application.  A good installer, like Roadmaster Vancouver, and a knowledgeable owner work together for the optimal setup.

-Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

marty christensen

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:45:01 PM »
Thanks, Bill for the info.  I have been out of town the past few days, But I think I will have a chance to check on this over the weekend and then take it in next week for service.  My biggest problem is crawling under the coach since it has such low ground clearance.  I am not a skinny 25 year old any more.

Marty
08 Contessa, 400 hp