Author Topic: Deciphering Xantrex 2012 temp reading  (Read 2899 times)

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Deciphering Xantrex 2012 temp reading
« on: December 30, 2018, 05:37:21 PM »
My inverter (Xantrex 2012) has the temp sensor on the battery. On the RC7-GS remote display, I can see the battery temp (234 counts) and another temp reading (FET temp, 214 counts or some such). Anyone know the conversion from 'counts' to degrees F? It was about 56F outside yesterday when I went to check on the Beaver.

Happy New Year to all!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Mike Shumack

Re: Deciphering Xantrex 2012 temp reading
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 09:19:14 PM »
That's an interesting find/question.

I was not aware of that "temperature display" unit I read your post and went outside to see what mine had. I have it too.

I have the same coach - but mine has the 2512 Inverter.

Regardless, the Xantrex manual is the same for all the RV series models. I mentions the temperature reading in the "Meter" section, then says to go to page 41 for more info, but page 41 does not cover that temperature display feature. I looked at a couple of Xantrex and GS/RC7 manuals and there is nothing about this.

We will need to check this again and see if the temperature "steps" (readings) change. It's 82 degrees F today where I'm out - and it sounds like we are seeing about the same numbers.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:12:03 PM »
Thanks Mike-Kinda where I was goin' with this-if the display always says the same, then it's time to just unplug the thing. Now as for the FET temp reading, I think this has to do with the inverter output (field effect transistors). I never have a need to run the inverter, so that FET number doesn't change either. The coach is not plugged into shore power where it is stored, so I don't wanna run the inverter hard just to check the FET temp. Oh well.......
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 09:21:45 PM »
I came across a reference to the "temp count" question in my Beaver Patriot Owners' Manual. it doesn't answer the question regarding what a "count" is or how to translate it to degrees, but it does say the higher the count the lower the temp reading (opposite of what I had would have thought). So if you take some readings over time, you will know whether the temp is getting higher or lower, by tracking counts.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:01:23 PM by Mike Shumack »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 06:31:58 PM »
Thanks Mike for you digging into this. I sent an email to xantrex last week, no reply. I did find a temp sensor on line for <$20 so I ordered it. I'll take it out to the MH and swap it with the original to see if it make any difference in the readings.
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:07:48 AM »
I bought a replacement battery temp sensor a while back, this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2K4SG/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 but it turns out its not the correct one. I called Xantrex and they said it was the wrong type sensor (even though it looks the same and has the telephone style plug). So I cant use it.

I wanted to switch to a "post mount" because my side mount was not sticking to the battery case and was sort of wedged against the battery carrier frame and battery,
What did you get (battery post mount or side mount)?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 03:33:19 PM »
Here is the one I just bought;

https://www.bikesomewhere.com/xantrex-battery-temperature-sensor-bts-f-freedom-sw-series-809-0946

Have yet to try it. Did xantrex say why the sensor you bought would not work? Different pinout or ?

I can't figure out how to insert a url so I did my best....
525 hp C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 04:04:57 PM »
Yes. Xantrex said the one I bought was for the TRUECharge series and not the same as the type used on the Trace-RV GS series. They didn't say what the difference was.