Author Topic: Shocks  (Read 4058 times)

Steve Albert

Shocks
« on: January 08, 2019, 06:01:50 PM »
What is the better shock Koni or Bilstein  I get all kinds of different views.  and don't no witch one to get :-\

Mike Shumack

Re: Shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
I don't think there is a "best". The Bilsteins are said to provide a smoother ride and are well suited to coaches that already handle and ride well (such as a 10-bag Tag axle coach). The Konis are said to provide better control and reduce nose-dive during braking and reduce porpoising.

I've also read that many like to put the Konis in the front and the use the Bilsteins in the rear.

For my coach, when the time comes for new shocks, I plan to go with the Bilsteins all the way around (and it's a big "plus" that they are the less expensive).

Here is a test that may help you decide. http://www.motorhome.com/tech/diy/shock-therapy-rv-shock-absorber-test/
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Beamon

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 01:48:23 AM »
Steve,
The first question that you need to answer is why are you replacing the shocks on your coach? If you can answer that, you can select the right shock for your coach. However, if you are replacing the shocks just because they are at a certain age, you are probably wasting your time and money.

Gerald

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 01:15:23 PM »
Steve, We have replaced shocks on 3 coachs, 1991 Beaver Contessa, 2004 Beaver Marquis, and 2017 Entegra Cornerstone. Contessa had Konis from factory and Marquis by Monaco and Entegra from Entegra came with Bilsteins. At 100,000 miles we replaced Koni's on Contessa. At 38,000 miles we replaced on Marquis and at under 10,000 miles we replaced on the Entegra.

We know a few and have been told by Entegra maintenance shop personnel that numerous other Entegra owners have replaced the Bilsteins and were very happy they did. If you talk to Spartan tech experts whom makes all Entegra chassis's they will continue to talk about the 60mm Bilstein shock as the best, yet they sell the KONI as a replacement.

We are an owner like other Entegra owners and have found that the Koni gives us a much superior ride at any speed over 35 mph. At lower speeds and cornering, entering an unlevel service station or any other type side wind travel the KONI's keep the coach in a much superior handling position. Porposing is much better controlled, side sway and pitching/roll is far more controlled, wind gusts by passing semis is more stable and high cross winds on the interstate or 2 lane highways is significantly more stable that allows less driving effort.

Giving a shock a better rating by mm size is not a good comparison at all. The valving is the difference and Bilstein and Koni are totally different in their valving. The valving is where the significant ride is completely different between the two shocks. The Contessa had 6, Marquis 10 at 38,000 lbs and our Entegra Cornerstone 6 at 54,000 lbs. We were not impressed with 6 on the Entegra but upon change to the Koni's it is much better than we expected it would be. If anything it could use 2 more on the front axle but that is an engineering project.

Best place to buy the KONI's is from the web at Shockwarehouse.  If you need any info on the KONI's you should contact KONI NA in Hebron KY and they are excellent to deal with on part numbers you will need for your coach. Not all dealers know the right part number for a coach.

Here is my DW views on Bilsteins/Koni's. Travel any distance and open the refrigerator. Bilsteins- catch as many items as you can before they hit the floor. KONI's - All items are still on the shelf!!!
You can call my DW Elaine at 231-218-9773 to verify that if you please. She will tell you it does not matter what the difference in the cost is as cleaning up the spilled sticky juices is impossible.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 04:49:49 PM »
I know I'm preaching to the choir here but excluding porpoising, I have found in all my 4 years of driving my first class A (LOL), that tire pressure based on weight seems to be the the biggest factor.  When I first started the tires were set at max, 120psi.  The coach wandered all over, blown sideways by every truck, got side tracked by every rut and bounced the fillings out of my teeth on expansion joints.  When I finally got the coach weighed and set the air pressure correctly all that went away.  As far as I know the coach still has the original shocks and I've driven it about 40K miles.  So for any newer drivers that may be reading try setting pressure correctly by weight before you spend big bucks on shocks.  Just a thought.
Jerry
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2019, 06:56:42 PM »
Having just replaced the shocks on my 2003 Marquis in November  I have to say that the Konis that replaced the Bilsteins are noticeably better in reducing porpising and roll. I noticed the difference at the first onramp. I too was reluctant to replace shocks that had 30K on them, it's a major expense with an unknown payback, but the folks at Hendersons Lineup swore that this was the hot ticket, my Bilsteins were undersized and I was really wanting to correct the handling faults. They also suggested a valve system that would reduce the roll by slowing the airbag transfer, but I found the shock replacement was sufficient to address my concerns and the valve can be added later. I am now a believer in the Koni solution.
FWIW, my tires ended up being full pressure on the fronts, 125 psi, and 80 psi for the rear and tag, more support requires less air pressure. Unless someone has documentation, the first thing I will do on a new to me coach is get the ride assessed by a trusted shop. 8)

Steve Albert

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2019, 08:14:55 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input very helpful info Thanks ;) ;) ;)

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 03:23:00 AM »
Speaking of shocks!  I found rear one with the top of the shock ( looks like a cover) pretty mangled.  Looks like it should be replaced.  Do shocks have to be replaced in pair or by axle or can I replace the bad one only?
Thanks
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 11:20:49 AM »
IMO you should replace in pairs. That way you wont have one "old weak" shock and one new shock on the same axle - which would then make the new shock work harder and wear out faster. Another concern may be that even when buying the same brand/model shocks, over time (say 10 years or so) the manufacture could have changed the shock's valving/pressures/etc.
I guess the exception would be if both shocks on the same axle were relatively new and one got damaged somehow.

You could contact the Shock manufacturer and see what they say. But I can guess their answer - as they are in the business to sell shocks.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 01:38:52 PM »
Jerry,
If you have one damaged shock, and no ride or handling issues, I would just replace the damaged shock with an identical replacement, if the other 3 shocks on the axle look good and show no signs of leakage.

Gerald

The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

Elaine Sturm

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 11:19:02 AM »
FYI: Do not buy from Shock Warehouse.com. We are 3 months into trying to get a a$1300.00 refund. Google reviews are consistent with our problem. Ended up using Ultra RV Products and very satisfied.
2006 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »
Thanks for the warning.
I read on the irv2 forum about Shockwarehouse. Many have had a good experience and some, like you, not so good. I'm not sure what their overall rating is. I'll check out Ultra RV when my time to purchase comes up.

It seems they are just a middleman (have no inventory) and have the shocks drop shipped directly from the distributor to you - so if there is an issue they are not so fast to resolve, but if the shocks are correct and shipped promptly from the manufacture/distributor, they get a good recommendation (and they sell a low markup).

Doug Allman

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 11:05:30 PM »
Shocks boils down to like every other part needed on a coach, correct information. Many have mentioned that on the Forum and indicated that you need to have the exact information for any problem you are having or part you order. If that information is not perfectly correct there can be no correct analysis and correct part obtained.

There is no way anyone can fill in the blanks, BAC members or sellers, and therefore things that go wrong most always get that way due to lack of correct information. It is not always easy to get the correct information, many times very frustrating and time consuming, but end results are totally dependent on supplying correct information.

Reviews on any Forum that are positive come from getting correct information to begin solving the problem. Exact information also eliminates any opinions which most always do not solve the situation.