Author Topic: How often do you check your battery water?  (Read 6444 times)

Mike Shumack

How often do you check your battery water?
« on: January 19, 2019, 07:59:18 PM »
How often are you checking your battery water?

I checked my battery water today (House Batteries) and was low. Really low. It took 1-1/4 gallons to top them off. That's the four 6V GC2 house batteries.
I last checked the batteries (removed them, cleaned the tray, and terminals) in December 2017. So it's been just over a year. I do keep the coach plugged in to keep the batteries charged.

I was surprised how low the water was, especially  since i have not used the coach much this year.  I'm going to need to add battery checks to my quarterly "to-do" list.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
Re: How often do you check your battery water?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:32:57 PM »
Monthly.  I actually put water in about once every 3-4 months.  Usually not much.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 10:25:56 PM »
It also helps to put a small amount of mineral oil in each cell to cut down on evaporation and corrosion. You will find several threads on this subject on other forums.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 10:53:50 PM »
Mike,
If you had to add that much water, the plates were probably exposed, which will shorten the life of the battery. Keep an eye on them. I also check mine monthly.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy Lewis

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 11:19:22 PM »
We have 6 Trojan wet cell and I check  once a month, they take a half pt or so

Dale Walker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 11:29:27 PM »
I check my batteries every month, usually only takes a couple ozs. I failed to check the batteries when I first got the coach 4 years ago, and when I finally checked them, I put about what Mike did. Mine didn't make the trip back from AZ. When I got home, put 4 new ones in, and have been checking them regularly ever since, I also purchased a watering system, makes the job a breeze.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 11:39:07 PM »
What "watering system" do you use, Dale?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »
Mike, I check ours about 1x/mo, takes very little water. I added the ProFil watering system. Makes filling easy.

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-care/brands/pro-fill-rv/
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 12:35:39 AM »
https://www.campingworld.com/pro-fill-rv-edition-dual-6-volt-battery-watering-system

Or look up “Flo-rite” at Amazon.

Too expensive for what it is, but that’s only my opinion and unlike many I don’t mind topping off with an auto-shutoff battery filler jug or turkey baster.  I try to check every month and usually top off every 3-4 months depending on whether the coach is stored or on the road.  Even if the charger is working right there will be evaporative and float-Charge heat loss over time.  A bad battery may cause the charger to work more than it otherwise would, and cook off a bit more water.

Joel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 12:55:01 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2019, 01:37:26 AM »
I check our six batteries every month or two, depending upon our usage of the coach.  I use a one-gallon garden sprayer for topping off the batteries with distilled water.  The sprayer allows me to stand pretty much straight up rather then having to bend over to reach in to fill the back batteries.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2019, 02:58:45 AM »
I usually just use a 1 gal. jug of distilled water, open the battery drawer and dump it in until they are full!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
That Pro Fill kit is nice, but it is expensive, as noted ($60 for a dual-battery kit). I did not see a kit for four 6V batteries on their website, but I assume it would be over $100 if they have one (or to buy two dual-battery RV kits).

I have four 6V House batteries. My Chassis batteries do not have removable fill caps.

On my coach the battery compartment door swings upwards, and the battery tray does not slide out far enough to see directly into the cells of the rear batteries, so I need to use a mirror to see the water levels. I'm thinking it might be worth the $60 to just put this kit on the rearmost batteries at the back of the tray. Of course just using using a mirror and turkey baster every 3 months is not so hard either.

Is there another manufacture of these "battery watering systems"? Perhaps with lower pricing.

Bill Sprague

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2019, 02:47:41 PM »
Joel mentioned a battery filler bottle.  On our Monterey I could not see in the holes even with the slide out tray.  Until I got a bottle, I was never accurate and tended toward having a little too much water. 

They have a valve that opens when you shove it in the hole.  Design prevents overfilling.  When it stops gurgling it is done.  If there is no gurgle, water is not needed.  This should give you a picture of what they look like if you're not familiar.   

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=battery+filler+bottle&i=automotive&crid=1RAOJ4UMNXV10&sprefix=battery+filler%2Cautomotive%2C281&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_14

Mike Shumack

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 03:02:51 PM »
Thanks Bill. That 2Qt filler-can is more in my price range, but I don't think it will fit in the rear batteries. There isn't enough clearance above the batteries. However that link pointed me to this little battery filler squeeze bulb, which is good enough for now (and its only $8).

Bill Sprague

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2019, 03:20:59 PM »
The Flow-Rites seem expensive, but they saved me money.

When we downsized to the PleasureWay I found that it was intended to have AGMs.  The compartment was small and awkward.  The month ours was built, there was a shortage of AGMs in Canada.  We got wet cells.  To service the batteries, they had to be removed. 

Rather than buy AGMs, I "saved" money by getting the Flow-Rite Quik-Fill system.  It worked extremely well.  Besides making the batteries easy to service, the venting is somehow different.  In three years of use, the tops of the batteries never showed any acid or other wetness.  Consequently there was no corrosion.  None!  And, that can be a money saver too!

https://www.flow-rite.com/battery-care/brands/pro-fill-rv/  or on Amazon search for the "Flow-Rite RV2000" for 6 volt batteries or the "Flow-Rite MP2000 Qwik-Fill" for 12 volt.

FWIW, Marty gave me a tip early in the Monterey ownership.  I was loosing the corrosion battle.  Baking soda and battery cleaner were not keeping up.  With the sliding tray there were too many moving parts starting to corrode.   Marty suggested hosing the batteries and tray down with water whenever parked on gravel.  I replied that electricity does not like water.  Turns out that wet cell batteries are always installed in open space where water can get to them anyway.  Marty was right! They don't mind a fresh water bath!   I put an adapter on the outdoor shower so, using the fresh water hose, I could spray warm water.  That seemed to work better than cold.  When we sold it after 12 years, the battery tray and the wires were all "good as new"!   Remember the gravel part.  If you do it over concrete, it will be permanently stained.