Author Topic: Gremlins popping up  (Read 3212 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Gremlins popping up
« on: January 24, 2019, 12:56:48 PM »
Drove down from Missouri to Pensacola FL last couple days. On the way my transmission temp gauge stopped working and now the ice maker stopped working.... no leaks and yes the ice maker bar is down. Any advice would be appreciated. 
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

Re: Gremlins popping up
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 01:28:33 PM »
Are you getting water to the Ice Maker? My coach has an ice maker "water filter" (with a shutoff valve), could the filter be plugged or the shutoff valve been closed somehow?

Regarding the Trans temp (dash) gauge, on my '05 Patriot the sender unit is at the bottom of the cooler hose coming off transmission. It is easy to get to (if you can get under coach), to check the wire connection or to replace it. If you ground the wire on the sender, the gauge should read max temp. If it does then you know wire and gauge are working - and you just need to replace the sender.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

William Jordan

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:32:43 PM »
I Believe the ice maker , in at least the norcold, won’t work above 10degrees. Is your freezer warmer than that?

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 02:19:18 PM »
Fred,
The transmission temp sensor is normally located at the rear of the transmission (towards the front of the coach), in the cooler line fitting just as it leaves the transmission. An inoperative transmission temp sensor is normally a bad connection where the wire connects to the sensor.

Since you did not say what kind of ice maker you have, this will be just a guess, so assuming that the water to the icemaker was not turned off or disconnected during winterizing, and your ice maker is in your Norcold refrigerator/freezer, if there is no ice jamming the harvester, an inoperative ice maker is just time for a replacement ice maker. They are relatively cheap, accessible, and easy to install. However, if you have a ULine ice maker, that is a totally different story, but they very seldom fail.

Gerald   

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 02:53:05 PM »
It was working when we left Missouri. I am now thinking the ice maker may have froze up while driving in 19 degree weather in Missouri and Arkansas on the way to Florida.  I used a hair dryer on it and now need to wait a bit to see if it starts making ice. If not, then on to something else.
Fred & Cindy

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:49:13 PM »
Update.  The water in the ice maker is not completely frozen when released into the holding tray. I now have a slab of ice about an inch thick in the tray and no cubes. Any idea what the problem might be?
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
I would put a refrigerator thermometer in the freezer and see what temp it is getting down to. Should be around 0 degrees (maybe yours is just getting to 30-32 degrees and not cold enough for ice to form before it dumps, but cold enough to freeze on the shelf floor).

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic-Fridge-Freezer-Thermometer/dp/B000BPE88E/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1548427982&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=refrigerator+thermometer&psc=1
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Leon Scroggins

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:42:18 PM »
I went to the refrigerator's manufacturer's website and found an easy test, using a 12 gauge piece of wire, to test all the functions of my icemaker.
Found that the actual $157.00 icemaker was worn out from this simple test. 

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 02:53:11 AM »
I would put a refrigerator thermometer in the freezer and see what temp it is getting down to. Should be around 0 degrees (maybe yours is just getting to 30-32 degrees and not cold enough for ice to form before it dumps, but cold enough to freeze on the shelf floor).

Something like this https://www.amazon.com/Taylor-Classic-Fridge-Freezer-Thermometer/dp/B000BPE88E/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1548427982&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=refrigerator+thermometer&psc=1

I put a thermometer in the freezer compartment. Temperature is getting down to only about 20°. The rest of the refrigerator is doing fine. What could make the temperature not go down to the proper level in the freezer compartment?
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 11:44:38 AM »
What model refrigerator do you have?

There are troubleshooting manuals in the Coach Assist links section. Such as http://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Norcold_1200_Series_Refer_Manual.pdf

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 01:50:48 PM »
Mike, my Model is 1210IM. Thanks for the manual. I am thinking it is the right one or close to what I need. We are on a trip now and can’t work on it much until we return to Missouri next week.
Fred & Cindy