Author Topic: Water pump  (Read 3533 times)

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Water pump
« on: January 27, 2019, 06:33:58 PM »
We are still on our trip to Florida. Now besides having our icemaker go on the fritz, the water pump runs for about a second.... about every 5 minutes.  I know this is the sign of a leak somewhere and  I have looked everywhere and cannot find a leak anywhere.  Even turned off the flow to the icemaker. Is it possible for the water pump to be the problem only... with no leaks in the plumbing?
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

Re: Water pump
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 07:02:02 PM »
There is a check valve in the SHURflo pump that could be leaking.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 07:06:38 PM »
Fred,
The ice maker line is notorious for leaks. Try turning off the ice maker supply line at the water pump.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 08:16:15 PM »
Yep.. did that already. Thanks
Fred & Cindy

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 08:17:56 PM »
There is a check valve in the SHURflo pump that could be leaking.

If this is the problem, wouldn’t it be leaking around the water pump? There is no water in that area. Thanks
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 08:27:12 PM »
The check valve leaks internally. It is supposed to keep water from flowing back through the pump to fresh water tank when the pump is not running.

So if the check valve is leaking, the pressure already in the coaches water system (say 45 psi) could leak (bleed down) as the water heads back to tank. Then when enough water has leaked to tank and system pressure has dropped (say 25 psi) the pump starts up to rebuild the pressure.

Also, if the Red Hat valve (fresh water tank fill valve) is leaking internally, that could let the water pressure in the coach system leak down and thereby lower pressure enough to make pump come back on.

That's my theory.  :D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 08:33:54 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Fred Cook

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:38:23 PM »
The check valve leaks internally. It is supposed to keep water from flowing back through the pump to fresh water tank when the pump is not running.

So if the check valve is leaking, the pressure already in the coaches water system (say 45 psi) could leak (bleed down) as the water heads back to tank. Then when enough water has leaked to tank and system pressure has dropped (say 25 psi) the pump starts up to rebuild the pressure.

Also, if the Red Hat valve (fresh water tank fill valve) is leaking internally, that could let the water pressure in the coach system leak down and thereby lower pressure enough to make pump come back on.

That's my theory.  :D

Yeah.... that makes a lot of sense. I will do some more checking and maybe replace the pump.
Fred & Cindy

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 01:44:30 AM »
Fred,
Not sure what brand water pump you have. If it is an Aqua Jet, the check valve is in the head and it is not replaceable. However, they will supply an additional check valve that snaps into the pump's output port. A few years ago I had a similar issue with a bad check valve. I found that if I was hooked to park water, the fresh tank  would slowly fill as water leaked past the faulty check valve. When switching to the fresh water tank, the pump would burp every few minutes.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 11:12:05 AM »
If your setup is like mine, you can drain the fresh water tank and disconnect the hose feeding into the water pump (the white hose at top of photo). The hook up to City water and see if water starts coming out of the pump inlet fitting where the line was disconnected. If it stays dry then something else is leaking (probably the Red Hat valve). If water starts leaking out of the pump then you can get the check valve separately (don't need to replace entire pump).

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 01:18:47 PM »
Ok guys, I have an update and this is really weird. Even though I turned off the ice maker and shut off the water flow to it the ice bin, it again has a thick ice sheet in it. Somehow water is getting to it even though the bar is up, the small T-handle shut off valve in the tubing is closed (screwed clockwise all the way in) and... I disconnected the inlet flow valve behind the refrigerator. How is it possible it is still getting water?
Fred & Cindy

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2019, 03:11:47 PM »
Fred is the water line completely disconnected from the fridge? I'm not sure what you mean by "disconnected the flow valve".

I have seen those "T-handle" shut off valve leak when completely closed ('m talking about the style that clamps around a copper line and pierces the line).

I think, either the fridge still had some water remaining in the line and ice maker after you shut it off, or the line (if still connected) is not being shut off fully and water is leaking past the shutoff valve and still getting to ice maker.