Author Topic: Starting Batteries  (Read 2601 times)

Dan Murphy

Starting Batteries
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:26:54 PM »
It may be my imagination but I think my coach is not starting quite as quickly as it has in the past and I have began to think about replacing the starting batts.I have no idea where to look.But it seems like it is cranking a little longer than before.

I replaced the house batts in 2015 but the starting batts were still good at that time. They are dated as March 2013. The coach was new in 2009.So I guess the original batts were 4-5 yrs old.The batts in the coach now are Interstate.950 CCA

The starting batts are closed cell and the house batts still take water. Do I need to replace with closed cell or like kind or does that matter?? Or all starting batts closed cell?? Do I need AGM that I have read about??

I have 2 batts and the coach is still starting and i have a battery boost switch. Should I just wait for the starting batts to fail completely where I have to use the battery boost to start or should I start looking to replace now after 5 yrs?

Any advice will be appreciated. What do you think??

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Starting Batteries
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 06:48:06 PM »
Take 'em to an auto supply for free testing. Of course, this won't affect cranking speed, but are you due for fuel filter replacement? That'l make for longer start times.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 12:01:05 AM »
We replaced ours with CAT batteries. 1000 CCA for $129.00 less $11.00 for the old batteries. So we paid $118.00 for each.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9
The following users thanked this post: Bryan Schmidt, Mike Tomas

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 02:17:12 AM »
Dan,
Of course the most cost effective way is to take them and have them tested, and only replace them if they are bad. However, if your chassis batteries are 5 years old, in most cases, you are on borrowed time. So it might be advantageous to replace them this winter if you are not moving much like most of us, and you have the time and access to batteries at a reasonable price instead of waiting until you are on the road, pressed for time and having to pay an exorbitant price for the only battery in a small town.

Gerald   

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 04:16:03 AM »
Do I need to replace with closed cell or like kind or does that matter??

Likely your going to find only closed cell replacement batteries, but no, it doesn't really matter. The big advantage of installing closed cell or AGM will be less corrosion on the terminals and wires as they won't off-gas anywhere near as much as open cell batteries.  Just make sure you get starting batteries and not deep cycle. the internal design is different to allow greater amperage surge for starting as opposed to the deep cycle ones you use for your house batteries which are designed to provide more of a constant, long term amperage draw.

I would replace them both if one is bad, and make sure they can match the engine CCA requirements, or just buy the biggest CCA you can find. Someone else suggested CAT batteries in an above post. -Those don't sound like too bad a price! :-*
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:26:09 PM »
Mike, as Jim Nichols indicated buying Caterpillar batteries for his motorhome. Would add there
Is a difference in different mfg spec’s. For example with off road equipment that shakes all day
running over rough terrains. Many contractors decided to go with parts store batteries because
of cost break and savings, the only problem life on many batteries lasted 6 months to a year
and we would to be changing batteries on a regular basis not all batteries can take the shaking.
many times owners would just buy one battery instead of two only to change out older battery
not far down the road. The next thing like a tire adjustment for wear, exchange batteries that in
question cannot hold charge in many places including Walmart. There is again big difference in  batteries and reading the fine print. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic