Author Topic: In search of recommendations for trickle charger.  (Read 2950 times)

jeffprupis

In search of recommendations for trickle charger.
« on: February 19, 2019, 11:36:26 PM »
ISO recommendation for a trickle charger for our coach batteries. 4 GC2 6v Lead acid. Thanks in advance.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: In search of recommendations for trickle charger.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 02:44:40 AM »
I’ve used a Battery Minder for decades, but on my regular vehicles, and my old Pace Arrow with one chassis and 2 house batteries.  https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332201_200332201?utm_source=CSE&utm_medium=Shopzilla&utm_campaign=Automotive%20%3E%20Batteries&szredirectid=15506301837644833501510090302008005,%2520Chargers%2520%252B%2520Jump%2520Starters%2520%253E%2520Battery%2520Maintainers%26utm_content%3D167981&szredirectid=15506301837644833501510090302008005 

I rely on the inverter for the Beav, but don’t know why the little B Minder wouldn’t work.  It’s not for recharging a low system by any means, but does maintain things quite well.  Models have advanced technically over the 30+ years since I got my first one, and they’ve been in business a long time.

You might also consider a version of the Battery Buddy;  many people seem to like them.  https://www.campingworld.com/extreme-max-battery-buddy-intelligent-battery-charger-maintainer-6v-12v

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 04:29:33 PM »
Oh Joel, of wise one. You have saved me so many times. My question concerns an upcoming trip to Mexico. Reports are for spotty electric. As we know our Beavers are finicky when it comes to power. We will be on the beach for a week of what we hope is pure sunshine. Do you think my 100W solar panel will keep the batteries charged if minimal use of inverter or do you think I might need a 5amp trickle charger. What do you think would happen if I ran both the charger and the solar panel?

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:24:08 PM »
Jeff, A 100w solar panel will output about 5 amps, in full sun, you will get about 5 hrs of sun per day, so your one solar panel will give you about 25 amp/hours per day. I did some measurements on the 'idle current' of my inverter and I was getting about 2.5 amps draw when the inverter is in the 'standby' mode.  So 2.5a x 24 hrs/day = 60 amp hrs just from idle current from the inverter. Your refrig CO detector, smoke alarm, etc also draw amperage 24/7. You are gonna have to run your generator each day for an hour or two to keep your batteries charged, unless you are hooked up to shore power.
Now, if I could only convince the wife to go to Mexico!
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 02:11:48 AM »
I just purchaced a NOCO genius G7200 smart charger, and it it does it all!!!, 7.2 amp max charge capacity, and it is a maintainer, and charger in one.... Energy efficient and smart! worth the read up on it, and it works great!

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 05:49:53 AM »
Jeff, A 100w solar panel will output about 5 amps, in full sun, you will get about 5 hrs of sun per day, so your one solar panel will give you about 25 amp/hours per day. I did some measurements on the 'idle current' of my inverter and I was getting about 2.5 amps draw when the inverter is in the 'standby' mode.  So 2.5a x 24 hrs/day = 60 amp hrs just from idle current from the inverter. Your refrig CO detector, smoke alarm, etc also draw amperage 24/7. You are gonna have to run your generator each day for an hour or two to keep your batteries charged, unless you are hooked up to shore power.
Now, if I could only convince the wife to go to Mexico!

Thanks Bill. Check out Fantasy RV Tours, they seem to have it covered. I'll report back if w e get back LOL.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 08:00:18 AM »
Age and wisdom are not necessarily mutually implacatory, Jeff.  (It’s okay, old guys get to make up words).  But after reading Bill’s post, I feel I cannot avoid speaking up...
What he said 😁!

Our single factory 100w panel will basically keep my outside-stored coach charged, and help a smidge when dry camping with conscientious minimal daily battery draw.  But unless you’re in full sun all day and have 4-6 panels, you’re best off relying on a well maintained generator.  Some run it an hour around 10am, and I commonly do so around late evening.  It depends on common courtesy to neighbors re. noise and wind direction, and any local rules.  It sometimes takes up to 2 hours on occasion to reach Float Charge if there’s no sun to have helped a bit, and/or we’ve used more amps that day.

Joel

Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

jeffprupis

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks Joel, et al. BTW, it's not a made up word if you truly believe it's a word. I think I'm gonna buy the G7200
7.2 Amp UltraSafe Battery Charger and Maintainer as recommended as I'm concerned over genny use as we may be gone for long hours. Good to have in any case. Hopefully it will be for naught and the power will be good and clean.  Adios.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 04:07:45 PM »
Jeff, If you will have access to 120v shore power, your inverter/charger should do a much better job keeping your batteries charged than any 'trickle' charger. On my PT, the inverter/charger will put out 100A DC to charge the batteries; its a '4-stage' charger so its plenty smart and won't overcharge your batteries. Not sure why you need another charger.  If you're not on shore power, then running the gen to power the inverter/charger is still the best way to charge your batteries; that's what I have to do as I don't have access to 120v where my coach is stored.
Now, where did I put my Margarita?
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

jeffprupis

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 06:12:19 PM »
Thanks Bill, my issue is reports of hinky AC power dropping below 108V. As we know, Beavers are particular and I've had issues in Canada. So my thinking is the charger will work on less than perfect AC where my RS 2000 won't (more specifically my Surge Guard 40250 won't). The penny will work, but I don't won't to be a disturbance in what should be an otherwise tranquil week And I drank your Margarita. Thanks
The following users thanked this post: Bill Lampkin