Author Topic: How many air lift valves on my 1997 Monterey?  (Read 3181 times)

Rick Penick

How many air lift valves on my 1997 Monterey?
« on: February 01, 2019, 06:43:53 PM »
 So my motorhome is in storage and when we started it up airbags would not air up. I checked the air tank and there is compressed air in the tank. I am assuming it is the air valve. Where would the air valve or valves be located on my chassis? Anyone replaced these? Reason i am assuming air valve is i found a estimate to get valve replaced in papers from previous owner i am thinking it never got done. Anyway appreciate any insight.

Thanks Rick

Mike Shumack

Re: How many air lift valves on my 1997 Monterey?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 06:58:07 PM »
The front and rear axles would have their own air leveling valves  - it would be unlikely that "all" the air valves stopped working at the same time.

I would investigate further and look for something common to both front and rear. In the '98 Monterey air diagram it shows the air supply for the front and rear air bags comes off the same tank. Are you showing 120 Psi air pressure in the primary tank?

« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:13:47 PM by Mike Shumack »

Rick Penick

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:28:16 PM »
 Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply and that diagram is a big help. I can not say if tank is at 120 psi as motor home is in storage in northern az. I am trying to get a hnadle on the issue and maybe get new airvalve etc to take with me when i go back up. Would you happen to know the make and model of the air valves?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Rick

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:01:03 PM »
I'm not sure what make/model ride height control valve your coach uses. The Haldex brand is pretty common. https://www.anythingtruck.com/category/htp-suspension-heightcontrol.html

However, I still don't think you find that all your ride height valves went bad at the same time. If none of the air bags are filling/lifting, I would suspect you are not building air pressure in the primary tank (maybe faulty air compressor or governor).

EDIT: I have been looking at the manuals for your coach on the Coach Assist Members section, such as https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6kejw391xiqair5/AACIh8xKA0ZUgfCC7RxObba8a?dl=0&preview=MagnumChassis_B-SeriesTechOverview.PDF
and I can't find anything in those manuals on the Air Bag setup  - other than it has one, and the part numbers for the air bags. There is nothing on the leveling valves themselves. I also see that the dash gauges do not have an air pressure gauge. I don't know how Beaver expected the owner to know if there is a problem with the air system (or when the coach is fully aired up and ready to go) if they don't provide a gauge. I would add one myself it was my coach.  CORRECTION - chassis manual says you do have an air pressure gauge if you have air bags.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:43:58 PM by Mike Shumack »

Rick Penick

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 12:10:39 AM »
Ok thanks for your help this is what i have been running into on alot of things. This is pretty frustrating. I decided maybe i could drive it with airbags down well that scared the //;! out of me!!
I got a death wobble around 35-40 anyway i filled the tank as gas gauge didnt work either so after filling it which was just topping it off really it starts working. Coach had been setting in rv park where we have a place and i bought off old guy don't think he was totally up front with us. But live and learn. WE would like to get out and try it out but can't because of all the issues. I will look into air gauge.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 12:46:36 PM »
Rick, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of your coach will respond soon.

In the meantime, if you are working on the coach I would start by confirming you have air pressure. Looking at the diagram for your air system, note that the air tank has two sections the Wet side and the Primary side. You want to know if the Primary side has air pressure.

There is a drain Petcock on the Primary tank. I would first open this to see if you have air pressure. If not then most likely the "governor" is not working (the governor is what controls the air Compressor). I'm assuming that your coach has a standard engine mounted air compressor.

EDIT: I just saw this paragraph (page 17) in the Chassis manual - it says you would have an air pressure gauge if you have the Magnum Chassis with Air Bags: 
https://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/1998-Magnum-Chassis-Owners-Manual-1.pdf

Do you have an air pressure gauge? Do you have the drain petcocks shown in the snip below

« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:58:21 PM by Mike Shumack »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 02:27:56 PM »
I decided maybe i could drive it with airbags down well that scared the //;! out of me!!
I got a death wobble around 35-40
Rick

You should not drive with air bags deflated because the coach sits very low in the front wheel openings and the tire could hit the inside of fender well when the steering wheel is turned fully. The vibration mau have been due to drive line angle being off due to coach not being at ride height when you drove it.

As a new Owner, the best thing IMO is to start learning what the various systems are (Inverter/Charger, Air Suspension, transfer switch, plumbing, AC units etc.) then start collecting the Owner/Service manuals for everything you can. The "Beaver Coach Assist" section has a lot. Also try the "Files" section on the irv2.com forum.

Get an oil analysis done for the transmission and engine, and change the fuel filters (if oil and filters has not already been done). CAT does oil analysis, and others (like Blackstone Labs). That can tell you the condition of engine/trans and whether or not oils need to be changed if you didn't get service records with coach.

Good luck

Rick Penick

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 06:26:33 PM »
Thank you Mike,

I did test the tank when i was last there as i said, mtr hm in northern az at the moment in storage,and air came out of the tank no problem. Now i have no clue the psi as i have no gauge as you stated. I will get all the oil etc checked when i head back up was trying to get prepared for the trip and hoped i would be able to diagnosis the problem before hand. And yes a mtr hm has lots moving parts as i am learning.

Thanks Rick

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 08:00:29 PM »
Rick,
Simply having air come out the tank bleeder valve is of no use unless the air tanks are above 60 PSI minimum, and you need 90 to 100PSI to fully inflate the air bags. There is a gauge on the dash that reads tank pressure on every Beaver that I have worked on, and I would expect yours to have one also. However, I do not think that the 97 Monterey was equipped with an air dryer, so if the tanks are not drained on a regular basis, ice in the air line to your air bags is a possibility if you were in cold weather.

Gerald   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:27:30 AM by Gerald Farris »