Author Topic: Aladdin, transfer switch, stabilizer bars  (Read 8633 times)

Sherry Klumpp

Aladdin, transfer switch, stabilizer bars
« on: February 04, 2019, 10:53:31 PM »
Hi All,
 It’s been awhile since I’ve posted, but a number of you were extremely helpful when I first purchased a 2005 Beaver Monterey 34 ft diesel.  The dealer made unauthorized  changes, and were it not For your help, I’d be totally lost, but I am out a lot of money.  The coach is too heavy for me to safely drive alone.  I will be selling it.  I want it “safe”.

A cheap transfer switch was put on the coach and didn’t talk to the Aladdin.  Power source displayed as: none or unavailable- not sure of exact wording.  I purchased a transfer switch, photo attached below.  Is this the correct switch?  Supposedly, electrical source still does not display, but I haven’t checked it myself.  The shop servicing it (I saw where they weren’t recommended after the fact), said Aladdin is out of business, and I need to upgrade to the Silver Leaf.  They claim there is something wrong with the Aladdin.  Fact or fiction?

The main reason the coach was taken for repairs is that it is pulling to the right and getting worse. A friend said it became a fight to hold it on the road.  He drives off-road vehicles that he’s modified.  I trust his concern.  The shop said the shocks need to be replaced as do the stabilizer bars.  They also ordered a bar used to hold the gear box on the coach.  They claim it’s loose and there’s a danger of it literally falling off the coach!  Fact or fiction?  What questions would an intelligible person ask?

Any suggestions/comments are most welcome.  The Aladdin does a number of things, but I thought one function was to transfer power between shore and generator automatically.  If it isn’t displaying source, I doubt it’s transferring.  But for all I know, it isn’t connected properly or the Aladdin needs to be programmed. 

Thank you in advance! 

Sherry Klumpp
2005 Beacer Monterey 34 ft diesel

Mike Shumack

Re: Aladdin, transfer switch, stabilizer bars
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 11:23:47 PM »
The Aladdin only reports the info - it does not make the transfer happen. That is done by the Transfer switch as it senses voltage coming from Shore Power or Generator.

This is the transfer switch in my coach (I think yours is the same but the photo is too small for me to read the part number).

There is a communication cable that plugs into the Transfer switch (looks like a telephone cable) check yours to see if it unplugged.
Here is a picture of the inside of the Transfer switch. Those "black doughnut" thinks are the current sensors for the Aladdin monitor (one on Shore Power lead and One on Generator lead).

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 11:32:36 PM by Mike Shumack »

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 11:32:14 PM »
On my coach there is a separate junction box next to the transfer switch that holds a few fuses and small coils for current and voltage sensing for the Aladdin.  I don't know much about the greasy and dirty stuff so I can't help there.  Good luck!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 01:52:12 AM »
Sherry,
Like Mike said, the transfer switch has nothing to do with the Aladdin. The Aladdin reads the current flow by the induction coils around the wire. The coils can be external to the transfer switch or located inside the housing, but they do not affect the operation of the transfer switch.

When it comes to the problem of the coach pulling, it is normally caused by a tire, but it is never caused by shock absorbers. Also, since your coach does not have stabilizer bars, I would doubt that you need to change them.

Yes Aladdin is out of business, but there is no reason to spend thousands to change the Aladdin out for a Siliverleaf unless it stops functioning an you want information that requires the instalation of a Siliverleaf, but it does not affect safety regardless.

It sounds like this shop is just interested in transfering a lot of money from your pocket to theirs, and not really concerned in fixing your coach.

Gerald   

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:10:45 AM »
I have this Aladdin interface diagram that shows the connections to the Transfer switch and using an Aladdin "AC Interface" module, but this wiring setup is not always the case. My setup has a telephone-like cable (RJ12) coming out of the Transfer switch (not the multi-wire connections shown) and I do not have (have not found) an AC Interface module. I don't know what the other end of that RJ12 cable goes to (Xantrex Inverter?).
I'll need to research into this more.

Regarding your question "is there something wrong with the Aladdin", do you have other systems reporting through the Aladdin (tank capacities, engine data, backup camera, etc.)? Is it just the AC power that is not showing?

If you need parts, I have seen used Aladdin parts for sale at the RV salvage yards, such as https://rvelectronics.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/search.pl?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 12:55:02 PM by Mike Shumack »

jeffprupis

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »
Hi All,
 It’s been awhile since I’ve posted, but a number of you were extremely helpful when I first purchased a 2005 Beaver Monterey 34 ft diesel. 

Sherry, we have an "05 Beaver Monterey too. That IS the same TS we have in ours and it works like a charm. I'd try to locate a reputable service center and have them look it over. On the west coast Beaver Coach Sales in Bend OR and Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL are two such centers. Henderson Line-Up in Grants Pass OR is a great shop for suspension work. They offer a RPA (Ride Performance Assessment) which would diagnose your handling problems. And here is a good source for used parts: https://rvparts.visonerv.com  Good luck.

FYI I have PDF files of virtually all components on our Monterey. If you need any of them let know.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 02:31:54 PM by Jeff Prupis »

Elaine Sturm

• BAC Member
Re: Aladdin
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
2006 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV: our joysticks stopped working. Has anyone replaced their Aladdin System. If yes, with what?  We have used the reset button but no luck.
2006 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 01:57:35 PM »
If one joystick is bad, you can still by a replacement. http://www.nwrvsupply.com/139/04A-K01.html

If "all" the joysticks went bad at the same time (my coach has three joysticks) then I would suspect something else is going wrong

If you look at the Aladdin connection diagram, you wll note that all of the Joysticks (and components) connect to each other through the "Bus Tap" modules. Then these connect to the Video Coach Monitor box. It could be that the Bus Tap module (see the one at top of photo) went bad so no data is getting to the VCM, or the VCM could be bad, or maybe the plug is loose. All of the parts are still available (either new or used).
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 03:58:30 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Gerald Farris

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 03:12:02 PM »
Elaine,
If it is necessary to replace your Aladdin system, the only logical choice is to replace it with a Sliverleaf. You can get the Sliverleaf PC for about $400 and run it on a notebook computer or tablet, or you can have the Silverleaf system installed in your coach that is designed as an Aladdin replacement that uses the same wiring to cut cost, but it still is not cheap. You can call Silverleaf for details and options.

Gerald

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 01:49:11 AM »

Mike,

Thank you so much for the photos!   That is the model of the transfer switch that I purchased.  At first, I was led to believe I had purchased the wrong transfer switch.  The dealer had removed this one and replaced it with a cheaper model that didn’t have the Port to plug in the cable you are referring to.  I need to check it myself to see what’s going on.  Before I purchased this transfer switch, power source could not be determined by the Aladdin. Supposedly, it still can’t.  I spoke to the service advisor after doing some reading and posting.  He kept saying the  Aladdin is no longer being made and I needed to upgrade to the Silver Leaf.  I found the manual for the Aladdin and troubleshooting on the Forum- thank you!  I said I could print it and give him a copy.  He has supposedly tried to repair Aladdins, but never looked at this manual.  I need to find a reputable repair facility.  Ken Carenter, God rest his soul, used to tell me to go to San Antonio.  I’m in Houston.
quote author=Mike Shumack link=topic=8679.msg59670#msg59670 date=1549322627]
The Aladdin only reports the info - it does not make the transfer happen. That is done by the Transfer switch as it senses voltage coming from Shore Power or Generator.

This is the transfer switch in my coach (I think yours is the same but the photo is too small for me to read the part number).

There is a communication cable that plugs into the Transfer switch (looks like a telephone cable) check yours to see if it unplugged.
Here is a picture of the inside of the Transfer switch. Those "black doughnut" thinks are the current sensors for the Aladdin monitor (one on Shore Power lead and One on Generator lead).

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 01:50:35 AM »

Jerry,
  I don’t recall seeing those, but I’ll look.  Thanks!

On my coach there is a separate junction box next to the transfer switch that holds a few fuses and small coils for current and voltage sensing for the Aladdin.  I don't know much about the greasy and dirty stuff so I can't help there.  Good luck!

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 01:58:58 AM »

This is somewhat horrifying- they are replacing nonexistent stabilizer bars on my coach when none exist.  I was told one couldn’t see the bars without removing the tires.  So no one saw what the mechanic claims was wrong.  Oh boy.  I’ll make some phone calls tomorrow.

Thanks
Sherry

Sherry,
Like Mike said, the transfer switch has nothing to do with the Aladdin. The Aladdin reads the current flow by the induction coils around the wire. The coils can be external to the transfer switch or located inside the housing, but they do not affect the operation of the transfer switch.

When it comes to the problem of the coach pulling, it is normally caused by a tire, but it is never caused by shock absorbers. Also, since your coach does not have stabilizer bars, I would doubt that you need to change them.

Yes Aladdin is out of business, but there is no reason to spend thousands to change the Aladdin out for a Siliverleaf unless it stops functioning an you want information that requires the instalation of a Siliverleaf, but it does not affect safety regardless.

It sounds like this shop is just interested in transfering a lot of money from your pocket to theirs, and not really concerned in fixing your coach.

Gerald

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:04 AM »
Mike,

Thank you for the diagram. 
  So other systems were “showing” with a switch that did not have the female plug for the telephone cable.  I don’t know if that information was correct or if those systems are using the Xantrex to communicate with the Aladdin.  The troubleshooting guide may provide more information.

I have this Aladdin interface diagram that shows the connections to the Transfer switch and using an Aladdin "AC Interface" module, but this wiring setup is not always the case. My setup has a telephone-like cable (RJ12) coming out of the Transfer switch (not the multi-wire connections shown) and I do not have (have not found) an AC Interface module. I don't know what the other end of that RJ12 cable goes to (Xantrex Inverter?).
I'll need to research into this more.

Regarding your question "is there something wrong with the Aladdin", do you have other systems reporting through the Aladdin (tank capacities, engine data, backup camera, etc.)? Is it just the AC power that is not showing?

If you need parts, I have seen used Aladdin parts for sale at the RV salvage yards, such as https://rvelectronics.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/f/search.pl?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:10 AM »
Boy, sure wish you were near Oregon’s shops.  Between any Bend BAC sponsor and Henderson’s in Grants Pass you’d have had this job done right long ago.  Consider calling Henderson’s for advice re. the “stabilizer” situation.  https://www.hendersonslineup.com

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2019, 02:12:21 AM »

Thanks so much Jeff.  Unfortunately I’m not near Oregon or Florida.  Trying to find anyone who knows what they are doing in the Texas area is difficult.  One of you posted not to use the service center where the vehicle is currently being worked on.  I told them that 90% of what they proposed wasn’t going to be done.  They are replacing light bulbs and some filypters that I know to need work.  I don’t know what people do without consulting with you all.  Unfortunately npby the time I found the Forum, the dealer from whom I purchased had already made a mess of things.  This service center was recommended, but by someone who knows how to work on the interior of the coach.

I have the owners manual which I could not find online.  If there are manuals that you think would pertain to my issues, I’d greatly appreciate them!  My personal email is klumppsa@gmail.com

Thanks for the site to get used parts!

Hi All,
 It’s been awhile since I’ve posted, but a number of you were extremely helpful when I first purchased a 2005 Beaver Monterey 34 ft diesel. 

Sherry, we have an "05 Beaver Monterey too. That IS the same TS we have in ours and it works like a charm. I'd try to locate a reputable service center and have them look it over. On the west coast Beaver Coach Sales in Bend OR and Alliance Coach in Wildwood FL are two such centers. Henderson Line-Up in Grants Pass OR is a great shop for suspension work. They offer a RPA (Ride Performance Assessment) which would diagnose your handling problems. And here is a good source for used parts: https://rvparts.visonerv.com  Good luck.

FYI I have PDF files of virtually all components on our Monterey. If you need any of them let know.