Author Topic: Aladdin, transfer switch, stabilizer bars  (Read 8639 times)

Sherry Klumpp

Re: Aladdin, transfer switch, stabilizer bars
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2019, 02:21:17 AM »
Thanks Joel.  You don’t think they’d mind if I called for advice?  Ken was so much help to me and without him, I’m lost...  I really miss him.  I’ll try Henderson’s and see what they have to say.  The coach is really hard to handle right now,  the pulling is extreme and it’s literally a fight to keep it on the road.  I found out that the pressure in the tires is what is written on the tire; it’s too high for this coach.  But I wouldn’t think too much pressure would cause these issues.  It was pulling before that was done, although the problem is worse.

What’s most concerning is replacing nonexistent stabilizer bars...  Think I’ll be spending some time at the shop.  I’ll make them take the tires off.  Not sure I know what a stabilizer bar looks like...  Amazing how easy it is to get into trouble!  I wish people would admit they don’t know how to fix it.

Boy, sure wish you were near Oregon’s shops.  Between any Bend BAC sponsor and Henderson’s in Grants Pass you’d have had this job done right long ago.  Consider calling Henderson’s for advice re. the “stabilizer” situation.  https://www.hendersonslineup.com

Joel

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 02:23:14 AM »
I’m going to leave the Aladdin alone.  It’s clear the mechanics don’t know how to troubleshoot or repair it.

Elaine,
If it is necessary to replace your Aladdin system, the only logical choice is to replace it with a Sliverleaf. You can get the Sliverleaf PC for about $400 and run it on a notebook computer or tablet, or you can have the Silverleaf system installed in your coach that is designed as an Aladdin replacement that uses the same wiring to cut cost, but it still is not cheap. You can call Silverleaf for details and options.

Gerald

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 02:39:01 AM »

Me too Joel!  Seems a number of you live up in the Northwest.

Boy, sure wish you were near Oregon’s shops.  Between any Bend BAC sponsor and Henderson’s in Grants Pass you’d have had this job done right long ago.  Consider calling Henderson’s for advice re. the “stabilizer” situation.  https://www.hendersonslineup.com

Joel

Gerald Farris

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 02:40:03 AM »
Sherry,
There is a possibility that the tech or the service writer does not know the name of the suspension part that he is trying to sell you. A stabilizer bar run from the front suspension on one side to the other side, and it is anchored to the frame on each side. It is designed to reduce body roll when cornering, and it is on virtually all cars, trucks, and RVs with coil or leaf springs. However, a stabilizer bar will not work with your air suspension because of the extreme difference in spring height from one side to the other when leveling.

Your coach does have track rods that keep the suspension centered when the suspension is moving up and down as you drive or level the coach, but the track rods only run from the frame to the suspension cradle and not to the wheel area.

Gerald

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2019, 03:12:21 AM »
Me too Joel!!

Joel

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2019, 06:16:19 PM »

Gerald,
  Thanks so much.  I’m going to call them.  They made some reference to the gear box, claiming the bar bolting it to the frame of the motorhome was loose and in danger of falling off.  Is this even possible?  The dealer totally devalued the motorhome when they removed the Hydrohot without my knowledge and only put an LP hot water heater back on the coach.  They mounted the hot water heater by cutting a hole in the bay door.  They didn’t seal some of the lines going to the Hydrohot, and something is leaking.  I think this motorhome was well taken care of by the previous owner.  The Hydrohot had stopped working and that’s why he sold it.  But there were no suspension problems, etc.  The coach only has 50K on it.  Other than this group, I don’t know whom to trust or believe.

There’s a website called etrailer. Have you or anyone else heard of it?  I found it trying to learn something about stabilizer bars ::) [size=78%].  [/size][/size]They mention putting anti-sway bars on that motorhome.  Is this site credible?  This is the link: [size=78%]https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-1139-140.html[/size][size=78%]

Thanks so much.  I learn a little more everyday!!

Sherry
[/size]
Sherry,
There is a possibility that the tech or the service writer does not know the name of the suspension part that he is trying to sell you. A stabilizer bar run from the front suspension on one side to the other side, and it is anchored to the frame on each side. It is designed to reduce body roll when cornering, and it is on virtually all cars, trucks, and RVs with coil or leaf springs. However, a stabilizer bar will not work with your air suspension because of the extreme difference in spring height from one side to the other when leveling.

Your coach does have track rods that keep the suspension centered when the suspension is moving up and down as you drive or level the coach, but the track rods only run from the frame to the suspension cradle and not to the wheel area.

Gerald
[size=78%]

Sherry Klumpp

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2019, 06:23:03 PM »

Gerald, Joel and others,

Here’s something else I found on that same website:

Which Steering Stabilizer Will Fit a 2005 Beaver Monterey to Correct Steering Problems
Question:
WE own a 2005 beaver monterey with a terrible steering broblem . I have to drive the R.V every second on the road , and if we hit a railroad crossing or other rough roads it feels as if the coach is falling apart . Do you have a fix for my problem??? I can install same myself. The chassis is a Roadmaster ,but cannot find the serial # of same .serial # of coach is 801423
asked by: Joe L
Expert Reply:
To help with your steering issue you're going to need a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer. One of two parts is going to fit your 2005 Beaver Monterey depending on the suspension you have. If you have an airbag suspension or if your motorhome is a Monaco chassis you will need # RM-RBK6-RSSA. If you have leaf springs, then you will need # RM-RBK8-RSSA.I have included review videos on both for you to take a look at.
expert reply by: Charles SASK THE EXPERTS A QUESTION >>
PRODUCTS REFERENCED IN THIS QUESTION
Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer with Mounting Brackets for Class A Motor Homes[/color][/size]

(294 reviews)Code: RM-RBK8-RSSAOur Price: $445.00
    • Anti-Sway Bars
    • Steering Stabilizer
    [/list]
      • Includes Mounting Hardware
      • Roadmaster
      [/list]more information >
        Beware???  Oh my!

Sherry

Gerald,  Thanks so much.  I’m going to call them.  They made some reference to the gear box, claiming the bar bolting it to the frame of the motorhome was loose and in danger of falling off.  Is this even possible?  The dealer totally devalued the motorhome when they removed the Hydrohot without my knowledge and only put an LP hot water heater back on the coach.  They mounted the hot water heater by cutting a hole in the bay door.  They didn’t seal some of the lines going to the Hydrohot, and something is leaking.  I think this motorhome was well taken care of by the previous owner.  The Hydrohot had stopped working and that’s why he sold it.  But there were no suspension problems, etc.  The coach only has 50K on it.  Other than this group, I don’t know whom to trust or believe.  There’s a website called etrailer. Have you or anyone else heard of it?  I found it trying to learn something about stabilizer bars
      ::) [/size][size=78%].  [/size][/font][/size]They mention putting anti-sway bars on that motorhome.  Is this site credible?  This is the link: [size=78%]https://www.etrailer.com/Anti-Sway-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-1139-140.html[/size][size=78%]

Thanks so much.  I learn a little more everyday!!

Sherry
      [/size][/font]
      [/size]Sherry,

Gerald
      [/size]

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
      • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
      « Reply #22 on: February 08, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
      Review the videos here, including the one regarding women driving rv’s, and give Bob Henderson a call.  He has been good to us about offering advice over the phone. https://www.hendersonslineup.com/motorhome-rpa
      Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
      Clackamas, Oregon
      36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
      C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2019, 08:24:53 PM »
      Sherry,
      In the link above, they are installing a stabilizer bar on a gas motorhome with a leaf spring suspension, this application has nothing to do with your coach. In the reference to an air bag suspension, they are installing an aftermarket self centering shock absorber between the steering linkage and the frame as a steering stabilizer. This has nothing to do with a stabilizer bar. Your coach did not come with a steering stabilizer, but if you want to add one, I would recommend a Safe T Plus over the Roadmaster.

If you are going to trade the coach off, there is no reason to spend a lot money on aftermarket parts to make the coach drive better. Just find a reputable shop like Iron Horse in San Antonio, and have your steering problem fixed, assuming that you even have a problem. There are a lot of people who think that a coach has a handling problem if they have never driven a long wheelbase coach when there is really nothing wrong with it. All coaches need steering corrections while driving, some more than others, but they do not drive like a car where you can take your hands off the wheel.

Gerald   
      The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Paul Meehan