Author Topic: rear tv connectivity  (Read 5459 times)

Keith Cooper

rear tv connectivity
« on: March 31, 2011, 03:33:23 AM »
How are you dealing with satallite service to the rear tv in the older coaches? The coax in our 2000 Patriot thunder is rg -59 and the frequency response range tops out at approximately 1GHz. Over the air HD and the satallite set top boxes work  in the range of 0.95GHz to 2.2GHz. In fact while the wineguard antennas are capable of receiving HD the coax feed in from the antenna appears to be rg-59. I suspect the only over the air broadcasts we are actually able to see are standard definition without some changes.  :-/  Any thoughts?  

LarryNCarolynShirk

Re: rear tv connectivity
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 04:52:28 AM »
I think we can see over the air HD on our 26" LCD (both front and rear TVs) with the old 2001 cables.  Newer cables may improve the reception, but it would be difficult to rewire.

Larry

Edward Buker

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:08:12 AM »
Kieth,

The RG 59 is certainly an issue and has significant RF losses. I have gotten very good results and significant improvement with the rear TV reception in particular by taking the coach antenna output cable and feeding this amp mounted in close proximity. In my case that was in a front overhead cabinet. You can also use a splitter in reverse and mix in a UHF satellite receiver output with the terrestrial antenna signal and distribute that combined signal using this amp.

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-3414-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B001PI09SE/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1301543288&sr=8-47

These are high gain low noise distribution amps. I eliminated most if not all splitters and fed the front and rear TVs and my satellite receiver, which also has a terrestrial tuner built in, using outputs directly off of the distribution amp with the existing RG59 coach cables. RG59 will pass all of these frequencies but as you have noted, due to the higher losses, you have to boost signals enough to overcome the losses.

Later Ed

George Harwell

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:56:17 PM »

My coach is an 03 Monterey  and I get excellent HD programming using the batwing. I did install the Winegard Wingman that appeared to improve the reception. I also installed a Moto Sat HD and ran the cables across the roof inside wire loom material. I get satellite and over the air without using splitters, boosters or anything else that might degrade the signal. I hooked the basement tv to the bedroom receiver so get to use it with an RF remote control. Works for me!

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 03:33:38 PM »
Most of the losses in TV distribution to the rear of the coach in my case came from splitters. My rear TV would pixillate on weaker channels when the front TV would be fine. If you have a decent signal to the front TV and are happy with that signal but find that the rear TV is the problem then for under $50 you can easily solve this problem.

The use of splitters should always be avoided whenever possible. If I remember right my signal to the rear TV went through a one to two splitter and then a one to three splitter before reaching the rear set. That results in less than 20% of the original signal strength reaching the rear set without including the RG 59 losses. Other coaches may have different distribution paths but VCRs, the basement outlet, FM tuners, TVs, sat receivers, were all involved. Some coaches have RF switch panels. Mine did not. That is another source of signal loss that usually can be avoided with the use of a distribution amp.

What you want to do is feed the new distribution amplifier the original antenna signal somewhere close to the antenna as the input and then distribute the amplified output ports to each used location. Even if you find that a splitter is required to share a single antenna RG59 feed say between a VCR and a TV at some coach location, your originating signal is amplified to compensate for that loss. My rear TV now gets as good a signal as my front TV. In planning out your system buy the amplifier with only as many ports as your particular coach needs. Hope this helps.

Later Ed