Author Topic: Can you convert to a side radiator on a magnum B-Line chassis  (Read 2812 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
Can you convert to a side radiator on a magnum B-Line chassis
« on: February 06, 2019, 03:41:32 AM »
I have a 1998 Beaver Patriot Savannah with a Magnum B-line Chassis.  It currently has a rear radiator, and two other "coolers" in a side configuration.  I recently noticed on this site a diagram of a Magnum B chassis pdf that had a side radiator behind the two other coolers.  It showed the expansion tank in the rear where mine is but the radiator on the side,  so would it be possible to convert mine to a side radiator?  Not looking to do this just to do it, but if I ever need to replace the radiator, or inner cooler I may just bite the bullet and convert it if it could be done without major modifications.  Unfortunately I do not know the year model of the Magnum B series chassis that I was looking at, but it still had the 3126 Cat so it had to be close to my 1998.  In looking at my chassis it appears a radiator could be mounted on the side as shown on the pdf.  My Magnum owners manual does not show a radiator location in the diagram for a B-line but it does show a rear radiator for the M and S series.

Thanks for any information.  Carl
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
Re: Can you convert to a side radiator on a magnum B-Line chassis
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 01:13:07 PM »
 I suppose anything is possible if you have the desire.  Others may chime in here and give advice on what approach to take. But IMHO, before going through all the trouble and expense I would just find a coach that has a side radiator if that is truly what you want.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
Thanks, but not totally looking for a side radiator, just noticing that it appears the factory already made a side radiator for this frame.  Mine seems to have a place to put in a side radiator behind the cac and trans cooler like the factory did.  It also has vent openings on the side of the rv,  so if I need to replace the radiator in the future I would consider going that route.  I could also look for parts and pieces now at better prices if this is feasible without major modifications.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
Carl,
It would require major modifications to fabricate the mounts to support the radiator weight, and the extra width. You would also have to fabricate mounts that were strong enough to support the 60 HP hydraulic cooling fan. Then you would need to fabricate and reroute the radiator hose system, design and install a hydraulic fan control system as well as the needed changes to the hydraulic system to operate the fan, modify the CAC system, and fabricate a fan shroud. The cost would run into the thousands in parts alone before you add in the labor and the cost of the new radiator. In short, I would trade coaches if I was trying to go from a rear radiator to a side radiator, and I could do all of the work myself, but the prohibitive parts cost alone would not make sense to me.

Gerald

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »
Thanks, guess I will scrap the idea.  Not worried about the fabrication of it, and would probably have only have gone forward if I could have found a side mounted radiator already in a Magnum B frame to swap the parts  from that frame to mine.  Not trying to reinvent the wheel.  Right now I have put to much work in my coach to want to get rid of it.  It is as new as I can currently make it so time to enjoy it.
Carl

330 hp Cat 3126

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
Carl, in reinforcement to the fabrication as Gerald stated may not be possible, one real
Important thing over looked is the hydraulic pump to drive the hydraulic fan motor. The cost
of the hydraulic punp and the hydraulic valve. Last being the hydraulic pump is larger in size
and longer mounting of hydraulic pump is going to be a problem. Everything would hing on the
engine serial number and engine assory drive gear as that would be different. Your present
hydraulic pump would not run the hydraulic fan motor. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Carl Boger