Author Topic: Passenger slide hydraulic ram bent  (Read 3917 times)

James Morse

Passenger slide hydraulic ram bent
« on: February 14, 2019, 06:54:15 PM »
Has anyone had to replace a slide hydraulic ram because it has bent?  Our front Passenger slide has had some issues which I have corrected with additional structural outriggers installed and welded to the coach frame to support the floor and take out the sag in the slide and floor. Our coach is a 2004 45ft Marquis and the basement storage compartments hang off the slide; so when the slides are extended the storage compartments extended out also.  I think this was some poor engineering on the part of Monaco or Beaver designers which was addressed in the 2005 models ( the lower storage compartments stay fixed to the body of the coach and do not extend with the slides). These slides are extremely heavy with the Cherry cabinets and trim plus the weight of what ever you have in basement storage compartments.  I have found a leaky hydraulic fitting at the ram and upon looking for the leak I found the extended shaft of ram has a slight bend in it which surprises me, since the seals are not leaking?  I think the ram should be repaired or replaced at the same time a new hydraulic hose is installed.  The slide functions OK as it is but would appreciate any advice you experienced veterans may have.  We are on the road in Casa Grande, AZ.
Thanks,  Jim Morse

Gerald Farris

Re: Passenger slide hydraulic ram bent
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 07:18:19 PM »
Jim,
It is not uncommon to have a slight bow in the shaft of an an extended ram with a small diameter shaft that is under maximum pressure. Relieve the pressure by retracting the slide an inch or two and look at the shaft. If the shaft is now straight, you have no problem, so just repair the hose. But if the shaft is still bowed, I would replace the ram or at least have the shaft replaced by a hydraulic shop since you will already be working on the hose. Otherwise, just continue using it until it starts leaking and replace it then.

Gerald

James Morse

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 08:22:50 PM »
Gerald,

Thank you for the reply; I was hoping you would see the posting and have a response for me!  This make sense to me since the seal is not leaking.  You are a wealth of knowledge and thanks for sharing that with us!

Jim

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 10:03:04 PM »
We owned a 2004 Marquis for over 4 years and loaded it like it was a semi trailer when we headed from Michigan to Arizona. Also noted that the slide ram was slightly bent but never had a leak so disregarded it as it always worked. Gerald had a very good analysis as to why bent as I am sure we did not let finger off slide control soon enough. I do not think the design of the 2004 was inadequate as we tested it significantly numerous times over some of the worst interstates in the US and up into Canada.
I do believe the change for the 2004 model to the 2005 model was due to manufacture of the 2004 in Bend facility and then 2005 in the Valley facility. Monaco made several interesting changes even in Bend, in particular with the cabinet faces having a cardboard backed veneer glued to the cherry insert and is why most all of the veneer has failed to stay in place. They continued to reduce their cost when in the Valley facility but still put the BEAVER logo on. Monaco had a penchant for the logo but not for the quality it use to stand for.

James Morse

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 03:56:08 AM »

Doug,

Thanks for the reply.

Jim

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 12:53:49 PM »
You are welcome Jim. I should have also added that the 2004 Marquis is setting here beside us this winter in Arizona now as we sold it to a BAC friend from Calgary. Looked over many items with him and all is still well other than having to replace the rear camera again. I will have John post how he got the best deal on that issue which was a significant savings.
Last year when we met in Texas he had a problem with the HWH leveling system. Sent it to HWH for rebuild and says it now works better than it ever did with no loss of height while in camp.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 01:38:49 PM »
Has anyone had to replace a slide hydraulic ram because it has bent?  Our front Passenger slide has had some issues which I have corrected with additional structural outriggers installed and welded to the coach frame to support the floor and take out the sag in the slide and floor.

Our coach is a 2004 45ft Marquis and the basement storage compartments hang off the slide; so when the slides are extended the storage compartments extended out also.

I think this was some poor engineering on the part of Monaco or Beaver designers which was addressed in the 2005 models ( the lower storage compartments stay fixed to the body of the coach and do not extend with the slides).

My 2005 has the storage compartments that hang off the slide room - except it is on the "roadside" front slide. The Living room and Dinette is on that slide. It has the HWH single cylinder slide. It sounds like the same setup you have.

Does you setup look like this (two large support arms welded to main frame with rollers and gear track?
Do you have any HWH manuals or parts lists for your slide?

I have not been able to find any info on this (like what this mechanism is called by HWH, or a parts list) on the HWH site.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2019, 05:41:42 PM »
Jim,
My 2005 PT has a similar support and ram system.  When fully extended there is a slight bow, but when slightly retracted, no bow.  I do extend all the way all the time because when on the east coast, noticed some water seepage into MH during a very heavy rain.  Went to the control and extended slide, somehow it had not been fully extended and leakage stopped.  Presently have over 165,000 miles on this coach and it still works quite well.  One thing I was told by the person who did our walk-through in Bend (coach also built in Bend) told us to not put too much weight in those hanging compartments, so that is where I carry my black and gray drain hoses and parts in a plastic bin, and my excess electrical cords, plus some other lightweight items.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »
Has anyone had to replace a slide hydraulic ram because it has bent?  Our front Passenger slide has had some issues which I have corrected with additional structural outriggers installed and welded to the coach frame to support the floor and take out the sag in the slide and floor.

Our coach is a 2004 45ft Marquis and the basement storage compartments hang off the slide; so when the slides are extended the storage compartments extended out also.

I think this was some poor engineering on the part of Monaco or Beaver designers which was addressed in the 2005 models ( the lower storage compartments stay fixed to the body of the coach and do not extend with the slides).

My 2005 has the storage compartments that hang off the slide room - except it is on the "roadside" front slide. The Living room and Dinette is on that slide. It has the HWH single cylinder slide. It sounds like the same setup you have.

Does you setup look like this (two large support arms welded to main frame with rollers and gear track?
Do you have any HWH manuals or parts lists for your slide?

I have not been able to find any info on this (like what this mechanism is called by HWH, or a parts list) on the HWH site.

I just looked underneath my coach and i have this same system!  What kind is it?? Anyone know?

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 12:41:59 AM »
This thread has more pictures and description of this slide out mechanism  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,8716.msg59984/topicseen.html#msg59984

Basically it is an HWH "single cylinder" slideout (at least the hydraulic cylinder is by HWH), but I have never been able to find any drawings or parts listing for this type on the HWH website. There are sections of the HWH site where the links are broken. I'm not sure what HWH calls this mechanism. Nothing on the HWH site looks quite like these slideouts (my floor sits above the main coach floor when the slide out is fully extended - so it is a "raised floor" type slideout)  https://www.hwhcorp.com/ml56900_so_belowfloor.html