Author Topic: PDI Denver  (Read 4169 times)

Steve Funk

PDI Denver
« on: February 15, 2019, 03:04:19 PM »
I am looking at a perhaps purchasing a newer coach and will need to get a PDI done north of Denver where the coach is located.  Anyone know of who I could contact to inspect the chassis and engine?  The coach is being sold by a private seller.

Thanks

Steve 

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: PDI Denver
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 01:44:41 PM »
Steve, depending which engine motorhome has Cummins or Caterpillar, you can get what is
called ECM readout. If dealer has time ask for a level 3 complete history on your engine. The
cost is not cheap and runs between $ 625.00 to $ 900.00. If your not broke down many dealers
may be to busy to get you in. This information is what I receive from many motorhome owners
that had repairs preformed on there engines. In closing on the engine ECM readout and printout than
would suggest taking a oil sample and coolant sample. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 03:16:01 PM »
Steve,      Does the coach your looking at have a Cummins ISX? 

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 04:07:05 PM »
Steve,
The Service Providers Guide on the Private Members Only board shows a Cummins Coach Care in Henderson, in the Denver area. You may want to refer to www.rvservicereviews.com to see if you can find a provider north of Denver.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Steve Funk

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 01:21:21 PM »
Pat, it is a 2017 Dutchstar with Cummins 450HP on a Spartan Chassis, I'm pretty sure it is a Cummins ISL with 1250lbs torque.  Are there concerns with that engine?  Seems there are a lot of them on the road.

Thanks Steve for the link to providers.

Dave, I have access to all the maintenance records for this engine and service reports.  Oil samples have been done and I have access to those too.  I will need to get coolant and transmission fluids tested.  With only 25K miles and chassis and engine serviced by Transwest out of Denver I should be able to get a pretty good evaluation of the status of this power train.

Thanks everyone.

Steve

Doug Allman

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
Steve, for what it is worth, as I have the 600 Cummins, I associate with numerous Entegra Aspire and Anthem Owners whom have the 450 Cummins in their coach's, 2014 thru 2017. None of them indicate that they have had any problems with their engines and several have 3 times the mileage on as yours does. Having oil sample is excellent and I am sure Dave Atherton can read this sample and tell you value of sampling firm and results it indicates.
This engine has a baseline sample and this is excellent history to have and continue. It gives you that internal view of all the functioning parts that you can continue to evaluate with ongoing sampling at future oil changes. It becomes the electrocardiogram of your engine.
This owner has provided you some outstanding data to make your decision on. He has also done his homework to protect the value of his investment.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 02:10:04 PM »
Steve, you are doing this right, the running gear is the least problematic and the third member
or rear diff very rare problems. Cannot stress enough the value of oil sampling is your first
Line of prevention and doing oil sampling at every service .( the baseline has been setup and
every service period review the particle count ) like a fire contain it when fire is small and little
damage has occurred same thoughts go hand in hand with your engine and other fluid compartments.
Take the extra and get a computer readout on engine history. I have a hard time with the repair
cost or cost to rebuild a engine rebuild at today prices not to send Extra $ 30.00 at each service
peroids. This is why being on the other end of preventing problems is very important
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic