Author Topic: Does my slide need adjustment or is tilt out at top normal?  (Read 3564 times)

Mike Shumack

Does my slide need adjustment or is tilt out at top normal?
« on: February 16, 2019, 11:06:28 PM »
I just completed the replacement of the hydraulic cylinder and both chains in my roadside curbside front slideout room (Kitchen and living room). I have the X-Slide mechanism. After getting everything together, I'm wondering if I need to do any adjustments regarding the "tilt" of the room. The top is a little further out than the bottom. This is noticeable when looking at the black tape strip on the inside edge of the slideout.

The other curbside rear (wardrobe) slide also has this tilt - so maybe its normal (for water runoff). And I don't see a way to adjust the top or bottom in-out. There are no adjustment screws on the mechanism (the rollers are the only adjustment).

What do you think?
Is this normal, or should I be looking at shimming the bottom out some?

CORRECTION - its the curbside slideout
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 07:42:33 PM by Mike Shumack »

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Does my slide need adjustment or is tilt out at top normal?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:26:09 PM »
Mike,
I believe it is normal.  I have had slides worked on and we have never done anything to adjust "tilt".
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 07:47:36 PM »
Thanks Roy.
We have the same year/model coach. Does your slide-out also have that black tape running vertically on the inside edge? My rear roadside slide-out (bedroom) does not have this tape. The other three slide-outs have the tape. I wondering if that is a factory installed tape or something previous owner installed (maybe to keep seal from rolling).

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 10:22:26 PM »
Mike,

The ‘black tape’ on the side of the slides is similar to the traction tape that you would use on a stair step, it is suppose cause the wiper seals to change direction when opening or closing the slides. It is on all four of our slides.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 10:30:33 PM »
My tape is different from "traction tape". There is no grit to it. It's 100% smooth (maybe intended to let rubber seal glide over it so seal doesn't roll). Feels more like electrical tape. It is an applied  tape for sure - I can fell the edges. It's probably 4 or 6 inches wide.

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »
Mike,
When they first came out with our year, they didn't have any tape on the slides.  Then when I was in warranty, they added the rough grit tape to my back passenger slide because the rubber seal wouldn't roll over like it was supposed to do.  Later, I understand they went to a smooth tape.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 02:19:54 PM »
Just FYI my 03 PT has the same smooth black tape that Mike describes.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH