Author Topic: radiator leak  (Read 2077 times)

rick Kirchner

radiator leak
« on: February 18, 2019, 04:09:57 PM »
Does anyone have first hand experience with radiator removal on a late 90s early 2000's SMC Monterey?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: radiator leak
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
We had to replace our radiator in Sep 2017.  It had leaks in three of four corners.  We had a new and much higher quality radiator built by https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/ located in Sweethome, OR.  The original radiator was aluminum and weighed about 150 pounds.  The new radiator is steel, brass and copper and weighs about 250 pounds.  Our radiator not only performs engine coolant cooling, but also a small section did transmission (I think) oil cooling.  The cost of the new radiator was over $4,000 delivered to Eagle Freightliner at Hermiston, OR.  Interestingly, a replacement aluminum radiator was almost the same cost and is made in Louisiana (I think).

While in there with the leaking radiator removed, be sure to leak test the Charge Air Cooler, check the fan bracing for cracks and check anything else while it's easy to see and repair/replace.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

rick Kirchner

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 03:28:15 AM »
mine is already brass and steel

Roy Boles

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 06:01:26 AM »
I had to have the radiator replaced on my 1996 Monterey twice. It had the rear radiator. The first time they removed it through the rear opening with the with the radiator and charge air cooler assembled. The second time they removed the radiator and charge air cooler through the bottom by removing the trailer hitch. Both times it took two or three people to take it out and put it back. You should consider replacing both belts and the water pump while you have it apart. Also there is an idler pulley to take a look at.
'98 Marquis Diamante
C-12/Allison 4000