Author Topic: Slide out HWH hydralic leak  (Read 5808 times)

Steve Funk

Slide out HWH hydralic leak
« on: February 20, 2019, 04:12:51 PM »
The drivers side slide out on my Monterey is developing a slow leak.  Probably in the seal.  I figure I need to take out the cylinder and send it in to someone who can rebuild it.  Any ideas as to how difficult it is to do this.  What precautions need to be taken with the hydraulic pressure etc.  In Phoenix is there someone to take it to or should it be sent to HWH. 

Thanks for you help

Mike Shumack

Re: Slide out HWH hydralic leak
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 05:00:39 PM »
I just replaced the hyd cylinder on my passenger side front slideout room. I bought the cylinder directly from HWH (it wa a rebuild).

What slide out mechanism do you have on your driver's side front slideout (the single cylinder located under the slideout, or the dual cylinder X-Slide located inside the coach, or something else)?

Steve Funk

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2019, 10:45:53 PM »
single cylinder in the middle of the slide out.  Its going to cumbersome to get at as the cargo bays come out with the slide out on the driver side unlike the passenger side the cargo bays stay put and the underneath is exposed.  I probably need to check and make sure the hoses are clamped tightly and the hoses themselves have not failed.  I have read on the forum the hoses can be problematic.  However it looks as though it is leaking right where the seal would be where the rod moves inside the cylinder. 

Mike don't hesitate to give me a call if you have some input for me
Steve
206 499 9646

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2019, 11:37:26 PM »
Probably the same as my coach slide. At least the one end is easy to get to.

Steve Funk

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »
My problem might be a lose connection on that hose that is connected to the cylinder in your 2nd picture. Mine is way messier than what yours looks like.  Need to get in there a tighten that up 1st before a new cylinder.  How much was a rebuilt if I might ask?

Steve

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 11:26:01 PM »
The rebuilt cylinder I got from HWH was $365 including shipping to FL. Part# RAP91203
Note that the cylinder I bought was for my X-Slide, and may not be the same cylinder your working on.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 11:54:46 PM »
I went under coach today to get a closer look at the attachment point of the hydraulic cylinder for the front roadside slideout. It looks like it is attached to the "outside" of the frame rail. If so, it would be pretty easy to remove and replace it.
But I can't be sure if that end of that cylinder goes through the frame since it is covered in sealant. The other side of frame (inside) is inaccessible from the bottom so I cant verify if it goes through or not.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2019, 04:39:43 PM »
I had some more time today - so investigated the "other end" of the room slideout hydraulic cylinder.

It does go through the frame about a foot. Fortunately it is very easy to get to from the Curbside front storage compartment.
....If any hydraulic cylinder on my coach needed replacement, I think this would be the easiest to change.

One of the benefits of helping other Beaver owners, is that you learn about your own coach in the process.

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 01:39:03 AM »
Mike, the picture you posted two posts back looks like my roadside slide.  Do your cargo bays come out with the slides?  I don't think there is a way to see the end of that ram from the curb side.  I had a guy try to replace that hydraulic cylinder and he said it comes out right next to and very close to the water tank.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2019, 02:17:56 AM »
Hi Jerry,
yes my cargo bays come out with the roadside slideout. So the hyd cylinder is for the Roadside slide, but you have to go into Curbside storage bay to see the mounting point. In my last photo (view from inside the curbside storage bay, that cylinder end/mount shown is right above (next to) the fresh water tank as you noted. But still easy to get to if needed).
I'm not having any problems with this slide - just providing pictures and info in the event it might help Steve with his question.
The following users thanked this post: Jerry Emert

jeffprupis

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2019, 03:00:00 AM »
The drivers side slide out on my Monterey is developing a slow leak.  Probably in the seal.  I figure I need to take out the cylinder and send it in to someone who can rebuild it.  Any ideas as to how difficult it is to do this.  What precautions need to be taken with the hydraulic pressure etc.  In Phoenix is there someone to take it to or should it be sent to HWH. 

Thanks for you help

Worked with 3T's on a HWH repair a few years back. Seemed to know HWH products
Lake Havasu, AZ http://www.3tsrv.com

Steve Funk

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2019, 03:59:17 PM »
Mike, wow great to have the info on the slide.  I am going to crawl under there today and see if I can tighten the hose fitting up.  It may just be that.  I have sold my coach, fingers crossed, and want it to be as good of shape as possible for the new owner.  Probably a pretty dumb question but is the hydraulic fluid to that slide coming from the big hydraulic tank by the engine or the smaller Power Gear tank up front.   

Thanks

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 05:39:28 PM »
Steve, It would be the hydraulic pump up front usually behind the step. At least that is where mine is.

Steve Funk

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 02:51:46 AM »
Thanks Lee, I remembered that out just after I posted that last post.  You know the memory is not as good as it once was:-)