Author Topic: Is it time to replace the air dryer element?  (Read 2644 times)

Bill Drout

• BAC Member
Is it time to replace the air dryer element?
« on: February 20, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
I'm definitely finding some water in my compressed air on my 98 Patriot when the purge valves are opened.  How effective are these air dryers suposed to be?  Is it reasonable to expect zero water in the compressed air, or will there be some water even with a properly functioning dryer?
Bill Drout
1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello - 40'
CAT 3126B

Gerald Farris

Re: Is it time to replace the air dryer element?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:29 PM »
Bill,
It is time to service your air drier. With a properly functioning air drier, you should expect no water or at least nearly no water when bleeding your air tanks.

Since most coaches are driven so little when compared to a commercial truck, I do not service the air drier on a timed schedule as recommended for a commercial truck, but I use the presence of water at the tank bleeder as the signal that service is needed.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Bill Drout

Bill Drout

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2019, 04:24:02 AM »
Well it turns out there's a really good reason why the air dryer is not working so well:  the RV doesn't have one. 

I followed the big braided steel hose directly from the air compressor to the air tank.  There's nothing in between.  That surprises me as I thought all Patriots had a dryer. 

In any case, does anyone have a recommendation for an aftermarket dryer?  Based on some other posts it seems to me that it's something I probably need - especially when living in Texas near the gulf coast.
Bill Drout
1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello - 40'
CAT 3126B

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 06:06:06 PM »
Go to a local truck shop/ parts place and they should be able to get you a common model, a bendix or a meritor, mount it on the frame, you will need 12V switched power and line in and out!! I would recommend getting two filters, because if you have water in your system now, that will fill up that filter fairly quickly, and the rust/contamination will accumilate as well.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 06:13:41 PM by Dwight Lakusta »