Author Topic: failed Xantrex inverter  (Read 6293 times)

Jim Felton

failed Xantrex inverter
« on: April 01, 2011, 02:48:28 AM »
Xantrex 2512 failed, will not convert, while in North Carolina. A replacement arrived after 8 days and it was defective. After speaking with Bend Sales and Service and discussing further with my tech in NC, they both felt Xantrex was of poor quality and reliability and recommended Magnum replacement. Any one with similar experience?

I maintained very new batteries while waiting for replacement in NC with 60 amp charger that I borrowed and am now on the road home to Bend without an inverter. Engine keeps batteries charged on the road,  but 15 amp charger I purchased will occaisonlly abort when on shore power despite using very littlle 12v and batteries near fully charged. Hate to go to expense of 60 amp charger, but may be only alternative.

This is a wonderful learning experience, but tests one's patience and limits dry camping.

Jim Felton
2005 Patriot Thunder C-13

Randy Perry

Re: failed Xantrex inverter
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 04:29:30 AM »
Had mine go bad while visiting family in Tucson. Called a local RV mobile repair service and they replaced it with same make and model for a mere $500+ and was on my way. That was two years ago and since then, I here a banging noise coming from the inverter when plugged into shore power? Guess it's a matter of time before I'll have to replace it again :-/

Ken Buck

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 07:20:29 PM »
In both the boating world and the motorhome world I've heard repeated complaints about the "new" Xantrex units. I have a 20 year old model in my boat and it has worked flawlessly since the day it was installed. The common advice I've heard, and what I personally will do if one of my units, boat or motorhome, ever dies, is change to a Magnum unit.  Apparently the company changed hands a number of years ago and with it went all customer service.

As always that's just my opinion and I might be wrong.

Ken

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »
Heard the Xantrex are made in China and not repairable. Older units built in the US are good. We emailed Xantrex and asked about charging AGM batteries with our older unit and just got a "smart aleck" response from a "technical person". We decided that any replacement will not be from them.

Jim Felton

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 02:42:51 PM »
Will definitely replace with Magnum unit after talking to ohers and the above replies which are appreciated. I purchased a 15 amp charger to try and maintain the battery pack when on shore power and use preciously little 12v intentionally. The charger will bulk charge the 4 pack of batteries, but will not "maintain," so is becoming a hassle checking and reconecting every 8-12 hours. May have to get 60 amp charger or sit around somewhere in the SE for a week or two to replace inverter. Anyone with experience attmpting to temporarily maintain battery pack with small charger?

Jim
2005 Patriot
C-13

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM »
Quote from: Jim Felton
....Anyone with experience attmpting to temporarily maintain battery pack with small charger?
Jim,

We were staying in a friends driveway for a few days.  Running the Onan was not a good idea in this particular quiet neighborhood.

The best hookup available was a 15amp outlet in the garage with a 50 foot 14 gauge cord.  I could have plugged the MH primary cord into that but the odds of tripping the breaker was high.  Any appliance on top of the charging circuit would be too much.  

Instead I hooked up an old Sears automotive "automatic" charger to the house batteries.  At full output it only draws about 7 or 8 amps.  I could not trip the breaker.  My idea was that if anything, like the lights, TV or microwave, were used the batteries would supply the power and the charger would slowly replace it.

It worked well. In the evening the lights and TV would draw the batteries down like when dry camping.  As I went to bed the MH battery gauge would show about an 80% charge.  It would be near 100% in the morning.  The charger I have does not switch to "maintain" or "float".  I checked it frequently and the charge rate would vary, but it didn't shut off.

In your case, you have 120 for all the appliances and you only need 12 volt for lights.  I think you should be able to maintain the house batteries with the charger.  If you have a new "solid state" type charger you may have more trouble than if you have the older and cheaper variety.  

Jim Felton

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 03:16:24 AM »
Thanks Bill. I think my "old" 10 amp charger at home would suffice and not shut down when fully charged as this new 30 amp charger even tho it should "maintain."  Presently in Nashville and headin' west. Will check with old buddy who lives in Cheyenne and was head of the battery division of Gates Rubber who can probably confirm some advantages of the old technology.
Jim
2005 Patriot
Bend, OR