Author Topic: No power to 12v Fluorescent lights  (Read 3936 times)

Jason Worman

No power to 12v Fluorescent lights
« on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »
Hi,
So I have 2 under the cabinet 12 volt DC Thin Lites that have now power going to them. I put my voltage meter on the wires and nothing. They are on the same leg, under the kitchen cabinets. The 120 AC around is working just fine. I checked breakers and nothing out of ordinary. Any thoughts? The surrounding GCFI plugs are fine. Thanks

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: No power to 12v Fluorescent lights
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 05:02:47 PM »
Jason,
If they are 12v, AC GFIs  will have nothing to do with them. If all the other 12v lights work, I'd suspect a bad connection. The lights are probably wired together so check the connections to them.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:30:16 PM »
Steve,

When you say check connections, is this where the connections connect to the first light in the row? If this connection is good, where do these wires originate from? Do they come from 12v breaker panel?

Thanks
Jason

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »
Jason,
Yes that is the connection I'd check first. As to source of power, if these lights are on a seperate switch, check there. It they come on with all the 12 v light in the galley and are the only ones not working, the I'm pretty sure it is a connection. 12v power to the switch should come from a fuse or circuit breaker.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lloyd Church

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 09:01:16 AM »
Hi Jason, I have a 95 Marquis and your electrical sounds exactly like mine. I also have 2 thinlights  under my cabinets. There is a switch that controls the power to the bar lights, reading lights and LR ceiling lights. I believe this is the circuit that powers the thinlights. I would pull that switch out and check for a bad connection on a wire that goes to the thinlights. I would first double check the voltage at the lights and make sure the meter is set on DC. Those lights are probably wired in series so I would check the one closest to the front of the coach first.

Jason Worman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 07:17:47 AM »
Lloyd,

I pulled the Thin Lites down and disconnected them. I pulled out my multimeter set to DC and tested the connection, no voltage. I pulled light switch by the door and it tested for 12v DC. I have the original working schematic and have traced wire and can't find the problem. These lights are also on circuit for front step, it shows 12v DC. Any thoughts?

Jadon

Lloyd Church

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:26:30 AM »
Hi Jadon!  I checked my 12 volt breakers and the under cabinet lights are on the same breaker as the bathroom lights. I thought they were on the LR lights breaker. I don't know the setup for yours but my breaker panel is in the bedroom on the driver side. I have a switch panel on the front of the bathroom vanity that has 3 switches on it: vanity lights, fan and waterpump. If I had that problem with mine I would pull out that switch panel and look there. My thinking is that the power, comes from breaker 2, goes to the switch panel on the vanity, then a wire runs off that panel to the cabinet lights.
When you check for power with your volt meter, what are you grounding it to?

Jason Worman

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:18:19 AM »
Lloyd,

Do I have to ground it? I touched red lead to one white and black lead to other wire, is this correct?

Jason

Lloyd Church

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:12:31 AM »
No! That won't tell you for sure. Plug the black lead (ground) into the ground circuit on a a/c outlet or hook it to the metal inside the microwave,  those are both good grounds. The easiest is the a/c (120) outlet as its right beside the lights. the ground is the round terminal in the outlet. The 2 flat terminals are, small one is hot, the longer one is common. If this make you nervous, ground the black lead to the microwave. I'm assuming the inside of your microwave is stainless?

Jason Worman

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 07:39:55 PM »
Lloyd,

Thank you for the info