Visit our BAC Favorite Places Web Page

Author Topic: Desert flu?  (Read 948 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 34 years
Desert flu?
« on: March 06, 2019, 06:12:19 AM »
I note today’s sudden Sunshine/Rain posts of several pneumonia cases.  Ironically I just fielded an email from a niece that returned lately from a winter stay in Tucson.  On a routine visit to her doctor this week they found she has walking pneumonia.

I’m wondering if the Beavers suffering with pneumonia also have been snowbirding.  My sister and her husband did that once and only once years ago in their new motorhome, and ended up lifting anchor and going west to the California Coast for relief.  She called it the desert flu.  Apparently it’s a fungus spore spread in the desert winds?  Could it be a pulmonary-weakening precursor to this pneumonia?  Had the patients had the recommended pneumonia vaccines (Prevnar 13) beforehand?

Just curious, as it seems pretty unusual to hear about so many at the same time.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
towing a 1997 Ford Explorer Limited, aka "Pearl"
The following users thanked this post: Jim Murray, Stan Simpson

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Desert flu?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
We lived in Tucson 2 years as a kid.  I worked for the elderly through our church and so in their yards mostly.  Up close and personal with the dirt and the spores you refer to.  It is called Valley Fever and it lies dormant in most people until something sets it off.  For me it was a reaction to medicine and when it took off it nearly killd me.
My Dr. said that anyone that spends even a short time in the region has these spores.  They now have anti fungals that will clear this out of your lungs but if you are getting bronchitis yearly or worse experiencing high fevers and phenumonia , get checked. 
You have to show the Dr.s in other areas because they have never heard of it.   
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Stan Simpson

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 04:06:30 PM »
Valley Fever affects both two leggeds and four leggeds; DW doesn't want to travel to AZ for just that reason. VF was 'discovered' in Ca around Bakersfield during WWII when many soldiers became ill while constructing army camps.

https://vfce.arizona.edu/valley-fever-dogs/symptoms
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray, Stan Simpson

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 04:32:25 PM »
We are having an early and particularly bad pollen "season" this year which is also aggravating  respiratory problems.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Vicki Warren

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »
I was diagnosed with walking pneumonia when we first arrived in Surprise a couple years ago. A few months later, I got very sick and was diagnosed with Valley Fever. I think I contracted it in Lubbock, TX.
The doctors said 60% of people get VF, but not bad enough to notice.
Our Corgi has VF also.
We are both on the mend and I tell everyone who has been anywhere there is dust and wind and dirt, to ask their doctor to run a Valley Fever (cocci) test if they are having any blood work done.
One lady from Canada was diagnosed with lung cancer and when her doctor was asked to do a cocci blood test, it was determined she had VF, not lung cancer. Pat Gerber can give you the lady's name.
I, too, find it very odd that there are so many cases of walking pneumonia right now...
Vicki
Vicki Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder Vicksburg
CAT-C13
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Murray

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 09:35:00 PM »
Just to be clear, pneumonia (and the flu) are caused by a virus, valley fever is caused by a fungus. There are vaccines for viruses (Previnar 13, Pneumovax 23 for example) but no vaccines yet for the valley fever fungus. University of Arizona has researched a canine vaccine, not yet available; They have a drug company doing more development now. Link in my previous post.
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 09:39:47 PM »
Just read that about half the pneumonia cases are bacterial (strep, for example) and half viral. I stand corrected.
525 hp C13

Rick Kirchner

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 05:18:21 AM »
Its rare, but on occasion valley fever shows up outside the lungs.  One of my friends had it in his brain. 
Rick Kirchner
99 Monterey 30'
CAT 3126E/300

Doug Allman

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:56:53 PM »
Thanks all for the info on this valley fever. We have just completed our sixth year in Arizona and it sure seemed that this was the worst for us and many of our friends that we were with for those years. Many of us were sick all the time this year and several went to walk in clinics.
We made decision on going to Florida, actually on way there now to checkout new campground for following years, as we have not been back there for numerous years since DW
parents passed.
1991 Beaver Contessa  1994-2012   3116 Cat
2004 Beaver Marquis    2012 - 2017  C-12 CAT
2017 Entegra Cornerstone 45B   600 Cummins

Lloyd Church

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2019, 03:41:19 AM »
Forty years ago, myself and a great group of friends would go out to the Mojave desert, around Red Mountain, and race motorcycles. At the time I had a 1972 ford F-250 and a 10 1/2 foot cabover camper. That was a great rig back then. Many nights we would stay up drinking and smoking weed and the "Desert Flu" was what you had when you woke up. I never dreamed there was a malady that was called the Desert Flu. I survived the motorcycles, the drinking and the weed, and today I would give $10,000 to be able to relive one of those weekends and wake up with the "Desert Flu".
1995 Marquis Sapphire 
365 HP 3176B 
HD 4000

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 05:07:29 AM »
Lloyd,
We desert Rats call it a good old fashion hangover. A night under the stars on the Mexico border with a campfire and other accessories does wonders for the outlook on life. Nothing compares to waking up at 3 AM and being greeted by a meteor shower! I do it 3-4 times a year. 4 wheel in to a remote location and relax!
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Lloyd Church

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 07:49:10 AM »
You are so right about that, Steve. I learned that at a young age, my parents loved to travel and camp. For years we camped in a old army canvas tent that smelled just like what it was. In 1960 my parents bought a 16 ft shasta travel trailer and we were stylin. Towed it with a 1957 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 283 and a granny box 4 spd. I remember going over the grapevine, the old grapevine, many times.  It was a grind for the little 283 but we always made it. Spent a lot of summers in the Sierras,
the Trinity river area past Weaverville and most Christmas vacations in Arizona, below Parker, bird hunting. My brother and I normally slept outside on cots and there was a lot of star gazing to be had.
Didn't know how good we had it at the time.    Lloyd
1995 Marquis Sapphire 
365 HP 3176B 
HD 4000

Doug Allman

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 12:31:18 PM »
Been six days now since we arrived in Florida from Hope Arizona and we both can tell that we are feeling better. Still having to get the rash on the back of my neck cleared up but it now appears to be drying up finally. We both enjoyed Arizona but each year it seemed to be more congested and not feeling as well as year before. This year was the worst for us and many friends and we contributed it to weather with the continued rain that we think instigated the pollen and the rise in the dormant so called valley fever.
We will be back but just staying only for very short periods.

Dan Murphy

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 04:41:57 PM »
Doug
Welcome back to Florida. I don't know where you are traveling down here but we are currently in Brooksville and on our way to Alliance Coach in Wildwood next week and then back to our home base in Titusville until its warms up in Indiana.
If you get near to Titusville look us up. We stay at Willow Lakes Rv and Golf resort and there are a couple other Beavers here and several in the Great Outdoors Resort down the road a piece!

This is a nice area of Florida.

Dan
Dan and Kris Murphy
2009 Beaver Contessa
Cat C-9 425hp
2018 Ford Flex

Doug Allman

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:47 PM »
Dan, We are staying in Webster at Florida Grande Motor Coach Resort. I found it on the web and is it ever very nice.  It is a class A coach resort only, does not have a year date requirement (there is a GMC fiberglass rig in here and looks a lot like it is out of place) and all sites are 5000 sq. ft. with a 50 x 70 pad. Some have a Casita. Swimming pool, Rec hall and  only been here about a week but all are very friendly individuals.
It is in the middle of cattle country and is surrounded by cattle pastures. QUIET all the time. As many have told me it is a GEM that has not been found. 2020 rates are $825.00 a month for over 2 months plus tax and electric at $.15. We are booking 4 months here next year.
We have relation in the Villages and friends in numerous places south of here. A huge flea market every Monday in Webster. Other than March spring break traffic we have found all to be just excellent with our move from the AZ desert.
We get that way I will look you up. We are staying until week from Tuesday as I have to have Cornerstone back up to Entegra in Middlebury, In for 2 year warranty work and want to get it home and unloaded before taking it down to them. Thanks for the contact.