Author Topic: "Engine Comm Failure"  (Read 3199 times)

Robin Goffrier

"Engine Comm Failure"
« on: March 06, 2019, 10:40:59 PM »
So I'm just sitting here in the Indio RV park, where the coach has been domiciled since October 2018, Just like last year.  I was listening to a good book on my IPOD and something caught my eye.  The speedometer arm on the dash analog gauge was bouncing all over the place.  The key was not in the ignition and there was no power to the panel, I thought.  I put the key in the ignition and turned it one position to the right, which should have powered everything up.  DEAD.  so I shut her down and checked the batteries, ... all great.  Tried again the key and this time I got the normal expected response, panel powered up, low air alarm, etc. Went ahead and cranked to start. Plenty of battery but engine would not fire.  Then the readout, Engine Comm Failure.  Checked fuses, relays, connections.  Disconnected batteries, reconnected and tried again.  Same fault message and no start.  Called Beaver Service.  Sorry, we don't give technical advice any more.  Called Cat in Redmond.  Technician walked me through analysis.  No good.  was advised to get local help.  Called Quinn Cat in  Riverside.  Sorry wont come to Indio.  Out of frustration called Travis, my sales guy at Beaver who said "Stand by, I'll be back to you".   3 minutes later I had the name and number of Commercial Truck and RV Repair nearby.  Guy was waiting for my call.  He spent from 0900 until 1430 trying to find out why there was no power to my ECM.  Nothing.  He'll be back in the morning after he studies more diagrams.  Anybody with a Monaco Road Master chassis ever gotten that readout?   Called Monaco.  No more help than Beaver.  Its a feeling of being stranded, a thousand miles from home in a 43' box that will not run and nobody can tell you why.

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: "Engine Comm Failure"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 11:08:13 PM »
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
Robin,
See the Electrical Problems section in this link. It addresses possible problems with the CAT C9 ECU. Sounds like a faulty/intermittent ground problem.  http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,7495.msg52573.html#msg52573
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:52:50 PM »
Gentleman, no power to ECM at J-1 which would be facing to front of motorhome. Looking at wire
Harness connector ( lower left corner bottom wire RED is pin 70 this wire supply’s 12 volt power
to the ECM )  this may be of help and save time troubleshooting problem. Dave Atherton Retired
Cat Mechanic

Robin Goffrier

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 04:07:07 PM »
Some Followup, and it aint particularly pretty.  A commercial truck service  determined, after a day and a half of diagnostics, that there is power to my ECM but nothing coming out. It is bolted to the starboard side of the engine block above the starter and behind various lines, racks and braces.  Their conclusion:  The needed repair can not be done on site.  The 43 foot coach is backed into a residential RV park lot where it resides for about 4 to5 months each winter.  In early April we drive it back home to Bend, OR.  So now I am scheduling a repair appointment at a qualified station about 75 miles away and then will arrange for a tow truck to come, air me up, drag me out into the street and load me on a lo-boy trailer  for the trip to the doctor. By way of nice to know info, I have FMCA tow coverage and an extended warranty both of which should ease the financial nausea. Watching the loading should provide significant entertainment for my fellow park residents I am sure.