Author Topic: Grey tank odors  (Read 3376 times)

Jason Worman

Grey tank odors
« on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:16 AM »
Hi everyone,

Wonder what you all do to help with grey water tank odors, I noticed that there are strong odors coming up from tub/shower drain.

Thanks
Jason Worman

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Grey tank odors
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 06:06:31 AM »
Hi Jason
Both tanks should be cleaned but once done we pour some enzyme in each tank.  The orange stuff from WalMart is cheap and works as well as any!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lloyd Church

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 07:02:15 AM »
Hey Jason, It's me again buddy. so on your shower drain odors. Is it only coming from the shower?
i had the same problem with my 95. I thought it was the shower but it was the toilet. The seal on the ball that opens was bad and the water in the bowl would run out and the odor would come past the seal, especially when the bathroom fan was on. So make sure your bowl holds water. If you're sure its coming from the shower drain, plug the drain, let a few gallons of water build up, pull the plug and plunge it with a toilet plunger. Used to have to do that in a mobile home we owned.
 Good luck,,,,   Lloyd

Bill Sprague

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:10:47 PM »
If there is fresh water in the shower drain trap, odor can't come through.   It took a few years to find the source of odor on our '04 Monterey.  It was the drain for the Splendid next to the shower.   The drain hose was long and inserted deep into the drain.  It somehow would siphon enough water out of the trap that the gray tank smells got out!   I fixed it by changing the way the washer hose sat in the drain pipe.

Jason Worman

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
The enzymes have definitely helped!

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 04:44:20 AM »
Check your vacuum breakers on the 2” piping, there is one behind the washing machine, one under the kitchen sink, and maybe one under the bathroom vanities as well.  The rubber dries out inside, and can fall right off, once they don’t work, it’s basically like living with your grey water inside the coach.   I had the same issue, and it was a dried out rubber inside of it.

They only have a 15-20 year life span usually. Then fail.