Author Topic: Alaska RV caravan experiences  (Read 12768 times)

Jim Gill

Alaska RV caravan experiences
« on: April 07, 2011, 04:42:19 AM »
We're giving some thought to making an Alaska trip next year and are looking for input from those BAC members who have already taken one or more of these trips. Unfortunately we missed joining the Beaver group trip north last year and I'm not aware of any plans for another Beaver trip within the next few years so we need to move forward with our own plans if we really want to see this beautiful state from the comfort of our motorhome. So, we have a few general questions to ask of BAC members.

1. If you travelled with a caravan company, which one did you use and would you use them again?
2. Did you bring a toad along and if yes, did you use it very much?
3. What time of the year makes the most sense? We'll avoid mid-summer because of the crowds but spring/fall both have their + and -.
4. How much "wear and tear" did you experience on your coach?
5. Did you have any serious tire issues and did you bring/need a spare?
6. How many miles did you travel on gravel vs. paved surfaces?
7. How available were repair services if needed?
8. Other than the high price, how practical would it be to consider using the Alaska ferry system for some portion of the trip with a MH and car trailer?  

Any other thoughts about making an Alaska trip in our Beaver would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Jim Gill

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 05:20:33 AM by 2011 »

Robert Mathis

Re: Alaska RV caravan experiences
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 04:32:37 PM »
1. We went to Alaska in 2008. We left on June 23rd, right after our grandson's birthday. We did not go on a caravan for several reason, primarily because we do not like being tied down into a firm schedule. we talked to several people who were on caravans and most seemed to enjoy the company of the other members of the caravan. I looked up several caravan iteneraries prior to leaving and took note of some  on the stops. I suggest you go to the Motorhome Forum and check out the Alaska forum for people who have taken caravans.
To answer more of your questions:
2. We did take a toad. We used it a lot in Calgary (we timed our visit there to go to the Stampede, which is a MUST SEE. We used it in Alaska quite a bit since we stayed multiple nights in various places. I would not go without a toad. It also came in very handy when our engine blew in the middle of nowhere.
3. We will go back in 2013 and will plan to leave Florida in late May and return after Labor Day. Summer is the time to be there, and that is when the Salmon run.
4. Other than the blown engine, which was caused by a factory defect, the only "wear and tear" issues were a Aqua-hot problem caused by the replacement of the diesel, one a/c compressor that died on the way home, two small windshield chips, and some loose screws.
5. We had no tire issues whatsoever and did not carry a spare.
6. There were very few miles of gravel road. Most gravel sections were areas under construction.A portion of the Cassiar Highway going to Hyder was gravel, but was well maintained. It really isn't a problem, just go slow. A bigger problem are frost heaves. Some of the raods were worse than others, but when you see orange cones or flags on the side of the road, you really want to slow down.
7. Repair services are pretty much limited to the larger cities. Anchorage and Fairbanks have several RV repair facilities, but outside of those, you need to be able to fix small problems.
8. I thought the ferry would be a viable option, but it is very expensive and the schedules did not fit ours very well.

You didn't ask, but Alaska isn't really any different from the lower 48 as far as services and supplies. There are Walmarts, Home Depots, and Fred Meyer stores ( which are like Walmart, Home Depot, Sears and Publix, all in one store). You can pretty much get anything there that you can get down here.

Have a great trip.

Robert W Carlson

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 05:05:32 PM »
We traveled to Alaska with Adventure Caravans.  The caravan we chose was 58 days in duration.  The company provided us with The Milepost and a road log with details about each move which was reviewed the evening before leaving camp.  We were in campgrounds with full hookups (with 2 exceptions).  Many tours and meals were included.  We took our toad and used a Tow Car Shield (listed in FMCA ads) and had no problems.  Although transportation was provided to scheduled events, we did use the toad and would recommend taking it.  We left Efrata Washington on June 15 and ended in St. George BC around August 15.  The caravan staff assisted in showing us how to protect the front of our coach and we had no damage.  If the tires on your coach and toad are relatively new, you should not have a problem. We did not carry a spare for the motorhome. Most of the roads are now paved, but you will experience road repairs in process.  We did about 300 miles on gravel roads, today would be less.  The caravan company provides a tailgunner who is last to leave camp and will assist any caravanner who breakes down.  He will be quite knowlegeable and knows where repairs can be made if he cannot do the repair himself.  We did not use the ferry system.  We had a wonderful experience and would highly recommend this company.  This caravan will be one that you will remember.  You can get information on their website  - adventurecaravans.com.  (We also are members of Skymed and felt secure if we had a health problem or an accident.  They also have a website.)

Bob & Carol Carlson

Mandy Canales

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 10:14:30 PM »
We have been to Alaska twice (92) (06) with a Beaver caravan organized by Beaver members.  In 92 we went as a member of BAC and in 06 we were the rallymasters for the 45 day trip.  The Beaver caravan in '10 was a 75 day trip and would guess someone from that group will also be sending you a message.
I'm not going to repeat the two reports prior so bear with me.  
Hopefully you will be traveling with at least one other coach as it is a whole lot more fun.  Purchase the Mile Post guide as it is very good and tells you alot about the areas you'll be traveling.  Some of our toads used the Tow Car shield which protects the entire front of the car as the roads have much pea size gravel covering the slurry coated roads.  Most of the pebbles will be off the area where the tires contact the road.  Another popular toad bra is the one where the cover is under the tow bar and keeps the gravel from coming up on the tow car.  If you don't use some type of cover you'll experience the wind shield wiper area full of gravel as it kicks up by the tires.  Pay attention to the speed signs due to frost heaves and damaged roads.  Most breakdowns are caused by speeding.
You may want to travel a couple of days straight and then layover a day or two depending on the area you're in.  Visit all the visitor centers as they are mini museums along the way.  In Dawson Creek, Fairbanks, and Anchorage I suggest doing a city tour; you would learn much from those guides.  
There is no problem with fuel stops as they are between 50-100 miles apart.  If you decide to go to Juneau or Haines you could park at the campground in Skagway and take the ferry to each one as it is much less expensive.  Skagway also has a nice city tour to enjoy.
There really are no crowds in Alaska in the summer time and the temperature is very comfortable.  Late May may see some snow and possibly after Labor Day.
Your co-pilot should have the Mile Post very handy to keep both alerted as the book does give you mile by mile explanations of road conditions, rivers, mountains, flora and fauna, etc as you travel.  Take time to smell the roses (or is it Fireweed).
I would also suggest one should check the tire pressure on a regular basis and do walk-arounds of the coach and car frequently.
Depending on your travel route staying extended days in Dawson Creek, Whitehorse, Fairbanks, Anchorage, Kenai, Homer, Denali, and Valdez would be great as there is much to do and see in those places.  Several places have Alaskan-type entertainment as in Dawson Creek, Beaver Creek, Anchorage, and Denali which is quite good.
Safe travels and enjoy  
Mandy
Mandy Canales
90 Beaver Marquis 40'
Cat 3208
Charter Member
Apple Valley, CA

Jim Gill

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:13:51 AM »
Greetings All
A big "thanks" to all who were able to respond to my request for info on making a trip to Alaska next year in the "beast" either by caravan or alone. Once again, this forum has proven itself to be an excellent source of good and timely information on a wide variety of topics.

My wife and I were just "thinking" about making this trip when I requested this feedback from the BAC membership...after reviewing the responses we received from all of you, we're ready to "hit the road"...in the morning!!

Thanks again,
Jim

Bruce Benson

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:47 PM »
 We lived in Alaska for a few years before we retired to full timing in the Beaver. 

Alaska is a great place to visit!  RVers visit in the summer for good reason.  It can be cold and snowy the rest of the year and many facilities are closed.  It would seem a waste of time to get there before the first of June.  There is a little good fishing in the spring but it is not worth the cold to me.  Coming through Canada is much more enjoyable after the snow has left some of the higher elevations.  With the price of fuel where it is, there will be a lot less traffic there in the summer anyway.  Also keep in mind that heavy traffic would be much less than you would see on an average traffic road in the lower 48.  You can often measure the frequency of meeting cars in miles between.  As an exception, try to avoid driving Fridays and Sundays within 250 miles of Anchorage, particularly in the afternoon. 

There are two ways to think of the drive to Alaska.  One is as so many miles to get out of the way to get there.  The other is as an enjoyable journey and a whole experience.  I pick the latter.  I allow a month each way just to get there and get back.  I then spend about 3 months in the state.  That means leaving the southern part of the lower 48 around the first of May, leaving Alaska about the first of September and being back, usually to Colorado, by the beginning of October.     I figure it costs a heck of a lot to do this and spreading it out over 5 months makes it worth it.   

Your questions have been answered well already but there are a few additional points I would like to mention.

Learn to dry camp well!  Only one state park that I can think of has hookups and that one is electric only.  Most of the Canadian Provencal parks have no hookups.  Yes, there are commercial parks with full hookups within reach almost everywhere but you are going to miss the real experience if you go that route.

The Cassiar is partly unpaved.  The gravel portion is much better than some of the narrow paved parts.  Other highways are more comfortable with a big rig but from the West Coast the Cassiar is closer.

Another stretch of gravel is the Top of the World highway from Dawson City to Chicken.  Having driven it, I would probably pass on it.  It is something to see and if you have not done it perhaps you should.  It would not be my choice to be in a caravan over it.  Get across on the ferry then hang back (late breakfast perhaps) and let everyone else get way ahead of you.  This can be a real dust bowl.  If I go back to Dawson City, which I would enjoy doing, I would come back out on the paved road that I went in on.

Expect one windshield chip from oncoming traffic.  If you get one by following you are probably following too close.  Back off and relax.  Bring time with you and you can get most anything that can go wrong fixed anywhere on the highway.     

From Destruction Bay north you must slow down because of the frost heaves.  Understand that I did not write slow down for the frost heaves!  It is impossible to see (or mark) them all and hitting two in a row with the air ride is not a fun experience unless they happen to be in perfect phase with the cycle of the coach.  Just plan on slowing to 25 to 30 and staying there for 3 or 4 days until you reach Sheep Mountain, which is almost to Palmer, and you will be much happier.  Your ears and your coach will thank you for doing this.

Yes, bring your toad.

The two tightest locations for commercial campground reservations for us have been the cities of Anchorage and Whitehorse.

You will probably find that you will create your own “caravan” as you make the drive.  If you are social in the campground you will find that there are others that travel at the same pace you do and you will begin to see the same faces night after night.  We have made lifetime friendships driving the highway “on our own”.  We never plan over a day ahead, always find a good place to camp and see more than any tour offers.  We have done a commercial caravan to a different location and really enjoyed the people that we were with.  That may have made up for the short comings of the caravan.  The Alaska trips they have are much too short, in our opinion.  We often use their itineraries and just make ourselves set up the same tours that they do.  It is much cheaper and provides unlimited flexibility.       

Have fun!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:42:27 AM by Glenda Farris Co-Admin »

Larry Fisk

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:25:08 AM »
We are headed home to Alaska as I type. We are now at Davis Cabinets in Eugene, OR getting some new cabinets installed than slowly working our way North. Hope to be home in Sterling, AK by April 23rd. We have made the trip up and down 7 times and always enjoy the adventure. We will spend our summer at home than head south again in September. Love the freedom the Beaver gives us. It's great to get out of the cold and dark in the winter.
Larry Fisk
2005 Patriot Thunder 40 ft.
525 (C-13) CAT Engine