Author Topic: Serpentine belt replacement on c15 Cat  (Read 3594 times)

Gary Miller

Serpentine belt replacement on c15 Cat
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:15:25 PM »
Looking to change my 2 serpentine belts on my ‘08 Marquis. Lookslike a 1/2” ratchet on each tensioner will do the trick Are there any issues in doing this?

Gerald Farris

Re: Serpentine belt replacement on c15 Cat
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »
Gary,
Changing your serpentine belt is a very simple task. There are only two things to remember. One is if you do not have a belt diagram, draw a sketch of the belt routing before removing the belt to be sure that you route the new belt properly. The other thing is to be sure that you get the right belt, and since your old belts are still in use, you can just take them to the parts store to match them with a new belt. You can not go to a parts store and tell them that you need a belt for a C 15 Cat engine because the accessories were specified by Monaco and not Cat, so it is easier to match the belts unless your owner's manual list the belt numbers, but the owner's manuals on these coaches are often wrong, so match the belts.

Gerald

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 08:17:46 PM »
Tip: Snap a photo of the belt routing prior to removal to help with installation. There's not much complication to the routing, but ...

On my C13, it's a tight fit between the tensioner and the coach body support (i.e. the cross support shown in photo below).

Maybe your C15 has a little more working room. I found that a long handle flexible head ratchet works nicely. A standard 1/2" drive ratchet is a little short and doesn't give much leverage (that tensioner pulley spring is stiff).

Good luck.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:07:44 PM »
Wow, Mike! Do you serve breakfast on that C-13 block? Clean. Looks like you've replaced your overflow tank with a new plastic tank or?
Nice work.
As for the serpentine belt, see if Adept Ape has done a you tube video on replacement, the guy has a wealth of knowledge (as does Gerald) and a picture is worth a thousand words. 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 03:10:57 PM »
 I used a permanent marker to draw my serpentine belt routing on the frame next to the motor. Now all I need to do is look at it when I change the belt and I am always correct.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Gary Miller

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 04:18:11 PM »
Thanks for all your feedback.

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 03:02:14 PM »
Tip: Snap a photo of the belt routing prior to removal to help with installation. There's not much complication to the routing, but ...

On my C13, it's a tight fit between the tensioner and the coach body support (i.e. the cross support shown in photo below).

Maybe your C15 has a little more working room. I found that a long handle flexible head ratchet works nicely. A standard 1/2" drive ratchet is a little short and doesn't give much leverage (that tensioner pulley spring is stiff).

Good luck.

That’s the cleanest engine I have ever seen. Wow.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 03:20:56 PM »
Thanks. But it's just a can of "Cat yellow" sprayed around the top of engine after a minor cleaning. No credit to my maintenance skills.  ;D