Author Topic: Air leveling  (Read 4195 times)

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
Air leveling
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:05:05 PM »
Not sure if this is a problem but would like some additional input.

After sitting for 30 - 40 days, the coach settles down staying pretty level.  I usually just turn the leveling system off after extending the slides.  But, when I air up, the DS comes right up creating a very unlevel condition.  Then, the PS comes up as the system air pressure continues to rise. Once level, it stays at ride height!

Thanks for you thoughts!

Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Air leveling
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:44 PM »
I would try turning off the leveling system immediately after starting the engine.  Then after the low pressure alarm ceases - meaning the air pressure is up - turn the leveling system back on.  Perhaps it will rise up evenly with the air system pressurized.  Just an idea to try...
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Michael Rump

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 02:45:53 AM »
Does your coach have the electric air compressor that keeps the leveling system charged?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 03:57:15 AM »
Yes, it has the electric air compressor.  It's a Marquis and has all the bells and whistles of its era - air and hydraulic leveling, both with auto and manual leveling; electric front windshield curtain and electric window blinds front to rear; tilt down flat screen out of the front living room ceiling;....  Alot of stuff to go wrong, repair, and replace.  But... I can set the coach in my driveway as level as it will get on auto air leveling, come back after five months, and it will be in the same position.  Every week or so, the keep-level system will bump it for a second.  In 6 1/2 years of ownership I have heard the electric air compressor come on about three times.  This winter the coach sat on a rental lot in the Fortuna Foothills of Yuma - same spot, didn't move it - for three months and it held its position, and I never heard the air compressor come on.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 01:17:26 PM »
Michael, we have air leveling only, so when I start the engine after sitting for a while, there is a light on the dash that says "wait to travel", indicating the frame is not at ride height. I also get the "low air" screaming sound at the same time. The air bags fill, and then when they are at minimum 80 psi the "low air" buzzer goes off, and not until then do I hit the "travel mode" button on the air leveling. It brings the frame to ride height without all of the twisting and uneven-ness of trying to adjust ride height right away.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Dan Murphy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 02:37:57 PM »
Mike  tell Jan to sit on the other side of the coach! :D :D :D :D

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 06:04:32 AM »
The air bags fill, and then when they are at minimum 80 psi the "low air" buzzer goes off,

Stan, I think the low air alarm relates to your 2 metal air supply tanks (“wet” and “dry”) not being yet up to acceptable pressure, not the status of the bags that depend on that tank air.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bill Sprague

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 04:50:58 PM »
Not sure if this is a problem but would like some additional input.

After sitting for 30 - 40 days, the coach settles down staying pretty level.  I usually just turn the leveling system off after extending the slides.  But, when I air up, the DS comes right up creating a very unlevel condition.  Then, the PS comes up as the system air pressure continues to rise. Once level, it stays at ride height!

Thanks for you thoughts!
Mike,

Our '04 Monterey would air up crooked in the last few years we owned it.   As soon as I drove 100 feet, it "equalized".   Side to side levelness was controlled by the pair of ride height valves in the back.  When driving they are in constant motion as the airbags flex.  When still, they don't move and can't make the small corrections.   My assumption was that after about 100,000 miles of activity, one valve was more broken in than the other.  So, without some motion, there would always be a little difference in their function.   In other words, on first air up in the morning, the bags on one side got a little more air than the other.   

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 12:35:20 PM »
On our 2004 Marquis when starting up and leveling to get ready to get on the road again it used to come up most always slow as it had to fill air bags and the come up to ride height. At times it did seem not to go to a level position before we went a few hundred feet.
New owner, John Nord, had the HWH system controls sent to HWH and refurbished last year when we were in Texas. John indicates that he now looses no air and it works better than it ever did for him. I will talk to John about posting info on his HWH refurbish.

Gary Merrifield

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 05:15:48 PM »
Ours is always lower on the Passenger side after we come out of level mode

Michael Rump

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 02:58:24 AM »
Thanks to all who replied.  I will continue to monitor and post any new information.
Regards,
Mike Rump
Mike and Janis Rump
2004 Patriot Thunder
CAT 505 HP C12
2014 Honda CRV

John Nord

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 01:34:25 AM »
 On my 04 Marquis the air levelling system quit working and I called the folks at HWH. They gave me some ideas to try needless say they didn't work, so when I called them again I was told I'd have to take the brain off and send it to them for repair as they don't make that style any more. When I got parked on a level spot where I was going to be for a while off it came and sent to HWH for repair. I got it back in about two weeks and put it back on. It didn't work so I was on the phone again with HWH and again they told me to try a couple of things low and behold the unit started working. Basically after they did the repair work it just needed a kick start. It has been working great for me ever since. It used to be every so often I would have to start the coach and build up air. But with the new and improved old brain it also got the air pressure sensor working and when I lost a bit of air the little air compressor would build up the air when it lost a bit.  When I would level it I always left the levelling system on till I was ready to go again.
John Nord
2002 Contessa 2009 -2017
2004 Marquis 2017
2005 Smart for2