Author Topic: 06 Monterey hydraulic slide hangs up on retract  (Read 4891 times)

Don Colapietro

06 Monterey hydraulic slide hangs up on retract
« on: September 08, 2018, 03:56:47 PM »
Our 06 Monterey has 3 hyd. slides, and the DS front seems to be hanging up on retract on the front end. if i push on the front corner on retract it goes in ok, but if i don't, it makes a loud bang and leaves the front edge out an inch or more. It sounds like the shaft that's supposed to keep the room square is jumping a tooth on the rack?? Anyone have a clue if there's an adjustment??  Also, why does the water pump lose its prime going down the road? Our 97 Patriot did the same thing. FW tank level makes no difference. does anyone know where the controller for the Aladdin system is located? Thanks, Don Colapietro 239 940 6199

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: 06 Monterey hydraulic slide hangs up on retract
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 07:43:51 PM »
I have a 2006 Monterey Ventura.  The Aladdin system is installed in the latched bay just in front of the rear tires on the passenger side.  When I bought my Monterey, I did not know how to access that bay.  When I did my first lube job and was under the coach, I saw the latches on that panel from underneath and opened up that panel.  Convenient access to gray and black tanks, plumbing, etc...

Can't help with the slide problems as I do not know how to adjust them.  I have not had any problems with mine (knock on wood).

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Bryan Beamon

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2018, 12:59:02 AM »
Don, If you have hydrolic slides I don't believe they are driven by gears. Our hydrolic slides use a ram driven by hydrolic pressure. There is an in and out stop adjustment as well as an up and down adjustment on our 07 Contessa which I have done. Suggest checking your paint lines to see if your slide is not lining up when closed.
C & Bryan Beamon
2006  to present
2007 Contessa 42ft Cat C-9 400hp
1996 to 2006 97 Beaver Patriot Camden

Don Colapietro

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 05:17:12 AM »
Thanks, but according to the Beaver manual, it's under the driver side dash. I think all of the interfaces in the Latch bay feed into this controller.  The slide room has a single hyd. cylinder in the center, but there is a pair of rack and pinion rails connected by a square shaft, I guess that's to keep the room squared up as it moves in and out.  Don

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 11:05:03 AM »
The Aladdin VCM is located in the back of the compartment above the driver's seat on the 05 Patriot. You have to remove the wood back wall to get to it.

Does your slide out mechanism look like the one in the photo below?

« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 04:45:18 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Don Colapietro

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 03:11:33 AM »
Yup, thats it. It seems the rack and pinion system should keep the room square going in and out. I have plastic blocks on both ends (glide room ?)  i sprayed it with lube this am, but i still gave it a push to start.  The end that sticks has a S.S. sheet attached to the bottom of the slide and it comes all the way to the inside, you can see it sitting on the glide bar.  Thanks for the tip on the Alladin box. Would have been a long time finding that spot.   

Don Colapietro

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 03:48:38 PM »
Found it!! Thanks again.  There is a smaller controller in there also, about the size of a deck of cards. Since we're still on the road and the backup monitor is still working, I'm gonna wait till we get back to Florida to tear into it.  I understand that Silverleaf has a solution for the Alladin system and i want to talk to them. Thanks, Don Colapietro '06 Monterey Laguna III C9 Cat 400, Allison MH 3000
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 07:45:20 PM by Steve Huber Co-Admin »

Jim Nichols

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2018, 10:13:56 PM »
If that SS sheet metal runs to the inside of the coach check inside. Lift carpet flap and see if the sheet metal has formed a grove in the black nylon guide. That was added to adjust the slide up when it is closed. Not the right solution.
Jim/Natasha Nichols
05 Monterey 36'
400 Cat C9

Don Colapietro

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:02:19 AM »
Hi Jim, yeah, the s.s. sheet does come all the way in.  It extends from the outside edge of the slide room floor and comes in just beyond the glide block (mine are white). We put it there because the plastic sheet on the bottom of the room was shredding on the edge. Unfortunately, it was banging before that.  Just wants that shove on the bottom corner.  Not bad when the sun is shining, but........

Don Colapietro

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 10:31:12 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions, still haven't figured out the sticking slide out, but we are back home and I'm gonna put it up on my lift and see if I can see what's causing the hangup.  the sharp bang is the gear on the shaft jumping on the stationary rack since the room is cocked when the front side drags.... there are no rollers that I can see, so I'm not sure if it can be raised up.  Anyone have a clue as to why the  water pump loses its prime on the road??  Thanks, Don Colapietro '06 Monterey LagunaIII

Mike Shumack

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 11:52:43 PM »
Don,
when you say the water pump loses its prime on the road, I assume you also mean it would lose prime sitting at the storage yard or campsite. If yes, then I would suspect the check valve in the pump is bad (or has junk holding it open) letting water flow back out instead of holding it.

Item #3 is the check valve.

Don Colapietro

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:10:51 PM »
Thanks to all who responded to my sticking slide problem. i described it to a friend who has been using my 30,000lb Rotary MH lift, and he decided to make it his mission. took him about an hour with a dental mirror and a small light to find the problem. Seems some "engineer" thought they could contain a roller on a shaft inside the tube with the rack on top with plastic buttons.... one button gave up and the shaft and roller fell into the tube. Took us about 2 hours to pull the tube and weld the roller shaft, another hour to reinstall. works like a charm.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:43:32 PM »
Glad to hear it's fixed!

Try to post pictures of these repairs - if you can,
 so the rest of us will know what to look for, or tell others with similar issues.