Author Topic: Brake error code help  (Read 2642 times)

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
Brake error code help
« on: March 26, 2019, 04:57:32 PM »
Last trip we had the engine (Cat C-13, 525 HP, 2007 model year) derate several times. Each time it happened the fault cleard and engine returned to normal after I shut it down and restarted. Found a shop with a code reader (happened on Sunday so shop was hard to find) and when they connected ($125 fee) they said I had a "brake fault". The service brakes are working fine so I assume it may relate to the engine brake. Can someone give me a hint on where to look so I can prevent this in the future. Appologies I did not write down the fault code number.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Mike Shumack

Re: Brake error code help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 12:49:51 PM »
It is difficult to provide any advise when you dont have a code to work from. You can get the fault code without a scan tool but for about what you paid the shop you can get a ScanGuage D which plugs into the diagnostic port and will give you fault codes (along with live data readings, like engine boost, temperatures, etc.).

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/scangauge-d-digital-trip-monitor-sgd/10382992-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=10382992-P&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=CjwKCAjwvuzkBRAhEiwA9E3FUuGJZ_reFOyLIrfA5_kaVy0x8kZieijm-qlO-WrrmJ7DcE3HdFwpnhoCrecQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

How to retrieve fault codes without a scan tool___From the owners manual:

Engine Diagnostics:

The engine diagnostics will notify the operator of any deviations from the programmed  limits of
the engine through the "Check Engine" lamp in the dashboard. Should a system component with the
engine develop a deviation, the "Check Engine" lamp will illuminate, and a diagnostic  code will be
logged and stored in the system memory. These codes may be accessed  using either a service tool or
by using the cruise control switches to read the diagnostic flash code.

To access the diagnostic flash code using the cruise control switches, perform the following
actions (service only):

1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.

2. Turn the cruise control power switch to the OFF position.

3. Engage and hold either the cruise control "Set" or "Resume" switch until the Check Engine

lamp illuminates and begins to flash.

4. The lamp will flash a number of times followed  by a pause and a second series of flashes. Count
the number of flashes to determine the two digit flash code.
EXAMPLE:  The lamp flashes four times
followed by a two second pause, and then one more flash indicating a flash code of 41-Vehicle 
Overspeed  Warning.

5. A code of 55 indicates no faults found. After noting any flash codes present, refer to the
Engine Diagnostics section of the Caterpillar Operation & Maintenance Manual for code description
and necessary action.

The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:13:04 AM »
Mike,

Have you been successful retrieving flash codes using your cruise control? I’ve never been able to get it to work, I always assumed it was because of the VIP Smart Wheel. I know it can work with a turn signal or dash mounted type cruise control. Maybe I’m doing it wrong or there’s an issue with my system.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:19:50 PM »
I never tried the cruise control method. I bought the ScanGuage D. I have verified that it will read codes.
I have mine mounted on the dash so I can read water temp and other engine parameters and then leave my Aladdin in camera mode.
The following users thanked this post: Scott Shearer

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:48:33 PM »
Thank you for th replys. I will try the cruise control method soon, been out of town. I will post how I make out.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse