Author Topic: Kitchen Slide Seal replacement  (Read 6752 times)

JimCasazze

Kitchen Slide Seal replacement
« on: April 05, 2011, 05:40:59 PM »
I would like to replace the slide gaskets on my Patriot Thunder.  Is there an outer and inner seal for slide in/out positions or does one seal do both?

What is the best source for the black rubber seal?

Jim

Richard And Babs Ames

Re: Kitchen Slide Seal replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:10:50 PM »
zigzag the year of your coach would be helpful. Our 1997 Patriot has inner and outer seals but design and material varies by year. We had an outer seal repaired in Lakeland at a now closed repair point that used the wrong caulk or adhesive and ended up having the outer seal replaced by Alliance in Wildwood (BAC sponser).

JimCasazze

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 11:17:21 PM »
Woops... thought I put the year information.   This is a 1999 Patriot Thunder with a single kitchen/sofa slide.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:30:38 AM »
Jim,
There is an inner and outer seal for the slide on your coach along the top and on both sides. The outer seal is not to hard to replace, but it will take several hours for the average do-it-yourselfer to accomplish, because it is so difficult to remove the old adhesive. The inner seal is much more difficult on most coaches because so much woodwork needs to be removed for access. So I recommend that you only change the outer seal, since this will repair virtually all leaks if done right.

The weather-strip material is available from Beaver Coach Sales parts department, Alliance Coach parts department, or even Monaco parts. but Monaco would be my last choice. You will need to measure the seal length because it is sold by the foot,and be sure to add a few inches to allow for the 45 degree cuts at the corners. You will have to cut the seal to fit.

Gerald

JimCasazze

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 01:21:32 PM »
Gerald,
Thanks for that info.  I think I may attempt this myself.    I understand from your earlier post that the gasket is self adhearing, but how you join the mitered corners together, silicone, rubber cement?

Richard And Babs Ames

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 02:08:04 PM »
Your seals are probably white which are not treated as well for UV resistance so some type of seal coating will help extend the life of the seal. We use Protect All and spray on a rag and wipe on.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »
Jim,
The will be very little need for a sealant if the seals are cut and installed properly. A good clear silicone sealant can be used, although Lexel is a much better sealant for the job than silicone.

Gerald  

Keith Cooper

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
Are there any solvents which can be used to remove the old adhesive? Once the surface is prepared Beaver coach sales recomended using 3M Automotive Adhesive promoter 06396 just prior to attaching the new seal

Gil_Johnson

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 03:09:25 AM »
3M Adhesive Remover is probably a good choice, but I've done this myself.  I have used the 3M product on other adhesives and it worked well.

Gil

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 04:38:44 AM »
Jim,
An adhesive release agent may be helpful to you when removing the old seal adhesive backing. However I personally do not like using it on this type of adhesive backing because it will usually make clean-up more difficult in prepping the surface for the new seal. However I know mechanics who will only replace this type of seal with a release agent.

I have found that the adhesive backing that is left behind when you pull off the old seal can be removed by rolling it onto itself with you thumb or something similar and that leaves a clean surface that is ready for new seal installation. But if you use that method to remove the old adhesive, you had better have strong thumbs with thick skin.

The adhesive promoter may be a good idea, but if you use it be very careful when installing the new seal and do not let the unprotected new seal adhesive touch anywhere except where you want it installed.

Gerald