Author Topic: Is it safe to lift back tire off the ground with hyd leveling jack?  (Read 2097 times)

Mike Shumack

I got a flat tire on Sunday (leaving campground in NC). I carry a spare, so I was able to change it.
But it was hard to get my bottle jack under the axle. I had to slide under the coach on my back to get the jack in position.

Is it safe/acceptable to lift a single drive-axle tire pair off the ground using just one "rear hydraulic leveling jack"?

I'm worried that doing so would twist the frame and crack my windshield. I had a cracked windshield when my air bags on one side didn't inflate and the other side inflating, causing the coach to lean heavily (frame twist). Then the windshield cracked. Is that a concern if I tried to lift one side drive tires off the ground?

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Is it safe to lift back tire off the ground with hyd leveling jack?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 03:53:37 PM »
Why can't you lift both sides off the ground evenly?  Then put a block or jack under the axle or frame.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »
No reason I guess. I would not have any parking brake then, but I could chock the front wheels.
My coach has the three jack system (one in center front, two in the rear). Should I leave the front jack up, and then just raise the rear (both sides)?

Just normal leveling, not raising off the ground, makes a lot of creaking and popping noises. Makes me nervous. I just want to be sure I don't need to worry about cracking the windshield too.

Thanks

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 07:39:59 PM »
Mike,
I was told when I bought my coach that, if and when I used my hydraulic jacks, I should always lower the front jack first to put weight on it.  I could then lower the rear jacks and do my leveling in that manner.  That way, the coach can kind of rock to one side or the other without being torqued quite so much.  I don't use jacks often, but when I do, I make sure my front wheels have a lot of the weight removed from them.
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 09:06:39 PM »
Thanks