Author Topic: Installing a combo washer/dryer  (Read 6666 times)

Jason Worman

Installing a combo washer/dryer
« on: April 01, 2019, 11:10:57 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a washer/dryer combo after purchasing a coach, if installed how much did it cost and did you have problems. We are looking at purchasing a combo washer/dryer and installing in bedroom closet. It is a Splenide 2000. Thank you
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 04:50:26 AM by Carol Moffett »

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Installing a combo washer/driver
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 11:32:36 PM »
Long time Spendide user; Combo does a great job, but you have to wash very small loads, the clothes take a long time to dry, and come out wrinkled. Just ain't the same as a home unit. I think the Splendide separates (separate washer and dryer) would be better if you have the room. The Wife doesn't want to give up the shelf space above our combo unit for dryer, so she does lots of loads of laundry (just the two of us, go figure!). Anyway, except for the weight and bulk, if your rig is pre-plumbed for the washer/dryer, its not a huge job. If no pre-plumbing or wiring, or if you have to do cabinet work, well, that's another story.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Jason Worman

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 11:40:05 PM »
It is not pre-plumbed

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:47:02 PM »
I would think that a major job, but you may be up for it. Remember, for a combo you need a new (15a) 120v circuit and new breakers for your breaker box. 2 new circuits if you go with the separate units. Hot and cold water, of course and a drain, but you also need a vent pipe connecting the drain plumbing to a roof vent (I don't know your coach, but there is likely no other drain piping to tie into. In our case, the W/D is right over the greywater tank, and next to the bath, so drain and vent are right there (all pre-plumbed by Beaver). If you are looking for a project.........and my vote is still for the separate W/D.
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Oh, one more thing: Wife dislikes using laundromats, so we have a 40' MH w/ a combo washer/dryer. "If mama ain't happy,........"
525 hp C13

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2019, 12:47:29 AM »
We have stacked Bosch washer and dryer in the 06 PT and they do a great job, just have to not overload them and you have to be on 50 amp for them to run.
If you have a space that's close above your gray tank and can get at the drain system would be the hard part. Running hot and cold water to the washer should not be a problem and power should not be too hard. You would want to install a separate breaker box for these units.
If you were to have some shop do the job it would probably cost you a fortune and they would screw the job up.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 01:36:56 AM »
Lot less hassle to use a park laundromat. Plumbing in the rear closet will be tough, if even doable. Will also decrease value of coach as most will not appreciate reduced closet space.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Vicki Warren

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 04:53:44 AM »
We have a combo w/d and I wouldn't be without it! Not keen on laundromats, although there are some very nice ones now. The Splendide guy, Darryl at Westland Sales in Vancouver, said you can wash a full set of king sheets, but take 1/2 of the set out and dry in two loads. If you dry too long and on too hot, the clothes WILL be terribly wrinkled. NO dryer sheets!! We do a small load probably every day as I am not a fan of "laundry day". A set w/d would be nice, but I am with the wife...not giving up the space over the combo unit. File drawer, my quilt shelf and above that, the extra "pretzel containers" we use from Costco for extra food stuff.
Just saying... :)
Vicki Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder Vicksburg
CAT-C13
The following users thanked this post: Carol Moffett

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »
My dear wife would never go back to a single unit. Had one in our 1991 Contessa and next two coach's both had 2 units. Going to the laundromat is not only time consuming even though some see it as a workout but it will not take very long to add up the dollars spent. It will always be a time consuming effort.
If you do the work, and I agree anything can be done if you have the objective agreed with between both of you, I also believe all of us haul way too many items that we never use, and you can always remove the w/d if someone objects at sale time. Use blind screws to install the new trim around the cabinet and makes real easy to return cabinet to original shape if you keep and protect the old parts.
Not sure on the woodwork you have but I completed a complete remodel of a 2004 Marquis and used spray cans to finish all the woodwork for new all new cherry wood window valances, cabinet doors and drawer faces refinished after removing the burl veneer centers and new trim around the new Samsung refrigerator and everywhere else I made new cherry trim for.  Learned this tip from a wood shop that does high end boat wood work and after you do a little practice you will find you can get the same very high gloss that Beaver used or any other sheen you would like. I have the normal air operated paint guns but for the numerous coats and time cleaning the gun for doing 6-8 items the paint in spray cans is a far better deal. Always wet sand using water between coats and you be amazed at how the finish comes out. If you mess up and get a run as you want to get just the right wet coat applied, let dry and sand out until you cant see run and then respray. You can be as picky as you want, it is your time you are using.
I always used the Minwax  Helmsman  Spar Urethane  as it is not damaged by moisture. Home Depot, Menards etc. John Nord can attest to the finishes as he now owns the Marquis.

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2019, 02:03:28 PM »
Cut her washing loads by 1/3, guys, and do your own wash.  Also, if you're a snowbird, as many of us are, then hang the shirts and pants outside to dry and reduce the load in the dryer.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 06:25:48 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Gerald Farris

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2019, 03:24:41 PM »
Jason,
A word of caution, if you buy a new Splendide, do not buy the non-vented model. The condensing dryer (non-vented) takes so long to dry clothes that it is almost unusable. However, the vented model does an OK job after do get use to it's limitations, but it does not compare to a residential unit, mainly because of size restrictions. As for installing one in a coach that is not set-up for it, I do not think that it would be worth the time and money to get a marginal unit.

Gerald

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
We switched our combo unit to a 2 unit stack. Had to remove the shelf above the old one, and install new custom made doors, but our cabinet guy matched everything perfect. There is still room above the dryer for a shelf to keep the detergent, and other wash-day stuff, plus a light. We quit using the old one because we would not leave the coach while it was running. We don't for the new one either, but the time it takes is cut by 75%. Difference is night and day.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Doug Allman

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2019, 11:23:25 PM »
I agree with Stan and we would not be without one. I do not find many parks that are big rig friendly that will let you hang out your wash.

Jason Worman

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 01:46:57 AM »
After reading all the posts from much more experienced owners. We decided not to install the w/d, but will continue to use laundromats.

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 03:58:48 PM »
I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a washer/dryer combo after purchasing a coach, if installed how much did it cost and did you have problems. We are looking at purchasing a combo washer/dryer and installing in bedroom closet. It is a Splenide 2000. Thank you

In case you change your mind one day....

I just installed the splendide 2000 XC in my coach. All provisions were there, but someone took it out, and did some Mickey Mouse cabinetry inside.

One recommendation, would be not to get the “old” splendide 2000. Get the new XC. The drum is 40
Percent larger, which is a lot. It was a pain in our Monaco with the splendide 2000. You could only wash one pair of jeans, some socks and a shirt or two. The XC is wayyyy better. And it dries. Faster as well.