Author Topic: IDS System Jack Not Extending  (Read 3654 times)

Dwight Lakusta

IDS System Jack Not Extending
« on: April 04, 2019, 10:28:16 PM »
I am in the same boat right now, I want my leveling to work, but it won’t!  I thought of tapping into the power to the pump on a manual switch, and putting 4 switches to all 4  jack solenoids. Then purchasing 4 bolt on leveling jacks from hwh, mounting them on the frame close to the locations of the IDS ones, using all lines that are existing and everything. Just put couplers and small extensions on the lines... that would be the cheap route.

Or buy the Bigfoot system. 4 jacks, 4 pumps. No lines. Just power.  I don’t know what do do.

http://www.thebigfootleveler.com/diesel-pusher---class-a-bus.html

Gerald Farris

Re: IDS System Jack Not Extending
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 12:15:24 AM »
Dwight,
What is wrong with your leveling system? You need to determine the problem before replacing everything. About the only part that you can not get or have repaired for your leveling system is the automatic control module, however control pads might be getting to be a problem also. So if the control module is bad, you can convert the system to a manual leveling system, but there is no automatic leveling option. If your jacks and hoses are not leaking, the most economical and least problematic action is to convert the system to manual operation if it can not be repaired to retain automatic operation.

As for installing HWH jacks on your coach and using your hoses and valves, that will not work because HWH uses single hose jacks and your system is designed for 2 hose jacks that are powered in both directions.

Gerald

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:09:32 AM »
Dwight,
What is wrong with your leveling system? You need to determine the problem before replacing everything. About the only part that you can not get or have repaired for your leveling system is the automatic control module, however control pads might be getting to be a problem also. So if the control module is bad, you can convert the system to a manual leveling system, but there is no automatic leveling option. If your jacks and hoses are not leaking, the most economical and least problematic action is to convert the system to manual operation if it can not be repaired to retain automatic operation.

As for installing HWH jacks on your coach and using your hoses and valves, that will not work because HWH uses single hose jacks and your system is designed for 2 hose jacks that are powered in both directions.

Gerald

Well I don’t know the problem for sure. But when I push the button basically, it all works like it should, circles, finds level, drops the air, and then starts putting down the jacks, the only issue is one of them is not coming down, and it just runs and runs and runs.  I’ll jet one or two jacks come down, make contact, and then it just runs the pump, nothing happens until the timeout happens.  It has worked a few times, but only a few so far to completion.

Maybe I got a bad solenoid....

Gerald, how would you convert it to manual operation?

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »
Beaver Coach Sales replaced my IDS control panel with a manual system. Don’t no what it cost because it was done before I bought the coach. But... it works very well.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 03:23:23 PM »
Dwight,
From your description, there is no way that I can tell what is wrong with your leveling system. The possibilities run from a bad control module to just low on fluid. So a through diagnosis of the system is needed to determine the issue.

If a conversion to a manual system is needed, you can build your on system if you have time and you are a very competent electrical mechanic. The only source for a conversion kit that I know of is BCS, but if you are not a good electrical mechanic, I suggest that you have them install the conversion kit. In fact I am not sure that they still sell the kit as a do-it-yourself package because in the past it has involved so much technical support time for installers who were above their head as far as skill level goes. However, their conversion works very well and the installation looks very well, just like it is an OEM system.

Gerald     

Paul Meehan

• BAC Member
  • Travel with DW and two K9's
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 01:44:38 AM »
Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would tag onto Dwight's message.
I have the SMC/IDS leveling system as well.  I have had the cylinders and foot switches replaced about two years ago.  The system works fine achieving a level coach.  However, in about 12 hours while asleep we hear a loud bang and feel a slight drop in what feels to be the passenger rear corner of the coach.

Any ideas on what I should look at?  The hydraulic fluid for the pump (which is located at the rear corner passenger side) is not low and I do not leave the system in the automatic mode.  I turn the system off after the leveling process has completed.
Thanks in advance.
Paul and Peggy
St. Johns, Florida
2001 Patriot Ticonderoga 37' 2 Slides (2015-2019)
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 (2019-Current)
2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee  Limited

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 01:58:22 AM »
Paul,
If your system jacks level on pads on  the axle, it's possible that the rear pass side jack is not seating perfectly on the pad and after a period of time/ coach movement, it slips into place, resulting in the noise. If you don't experience another noise anytime after the initial one this may be the issue. I had a similar problem with my 01 and found the pad had cracked and moved slightly causing the mis-alignment.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Paul Meehan

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 03:48:25 PM »
I guess I will have to get into it one day. I just don’t know where to start.  One thing I can tell you is all the switches that sense the jack being up are Seized and not working.

Does anyone know where to get those push switches?

I should probably just start replacing anything broken. One thing at a time... eventually it will all be working! Lol

Side note. We got to our RV site yesterday, and I figured hey, let’s try it again. And it worked. The coach is level. No idea. Now it’s an intermittent issue.