Author Topic: Girard awning fabric removal  (Read 3574 times)

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
Girard awning fabric removal
« on: March 23, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »
Trying to get the fabric out of my Girard awning (G-2085,  awning over the window). Have the arms fully extended and the roller in the correct position to slide the fabric out. What I can not do is remove the end cover of the awning - the one that covers the non motorized end of the roller tube. The manual shows only four pins gong into the end plate. All the edges of the end cover are free but it appears to be fastened in the center - at the end of the roller tube.
Has anybody run into this? The end cover is plastic painted to match the coach so I really dont want to break it. Tried another window awning andfound the same issue. Assume I am missing something.Thoughts please.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Lee Welbanks

Re: Girard awning fabric removal
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 12:11:18 AM »
Paul, On my 06 PT those end caps along with the screws they were glued with silicone in the middle. I gentled pried them off.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 12:58:14 AM »
Thank you.   I found the same thing on mine.
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 07:03:06 AM »
Hey Paul.  Did you find a place with new awning covers?  Would you share the info and a price perhaps?
Thanks
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 03:30:34 PM »
On my 06 PT all of the awnings and slide tops the seam back thread came apart, last year one at a time I took them off and had all the seams resewn by a shop down in Surprise, Az. The lady there was the one who said the fabric they used is very expensive and that they Girard had used the wrong backing thread. She only charged $25-30 for each one. The hard part was getting them off and on. I still haven't got the ps awning timed correctly, just need to take the time and figure it out. The tech I spoke with at Girard said it was easy, yeah right for him!

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 12:07:56 AM »
I am have removed three awnings and will be talking them to an local upholstery shop in the morning. We have talked to the shop and they should be done in 7-10 days, fits our schedule. Shop is in Davenport FL (Orlando area).
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 12:17:43 AM »
Got our awnings back this past Friday and installed tow of them today. Fabric is only in the mounting channels as I applied spray waterproofing and am letting the fabric dry till tomorrow.
Do have another question. One of the awnings had pulled away from the side of the coach about 3/8 inch and I want to tighten the mounting bolts. To acess these bolts I need to remove the small set screws on the bottom. Had anyone done this before? It feels like the setscrews mayhave been put in with Locktite or similar product. Bent two hex wrenches and broke a third - this was after soaking the setscrews with Kroloil. Any suggestions would be helpful.
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Larry Dedrick

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:59 PM »
Paul
           The set screws you speak of are very tight but I did get mine loose enough to remove awning and did find the mounting bracket screws had backed out a good 1/8 inch. Tightened and remounted awning housing and all was good.

Larry D
Laura/Larry Dedrick
Ormond Beach, FL
2008 Beaver Marq. Amethyst
Cat C15

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 12:29:41 AM »
Thank you for the update.  I would up cutting off the set screws, removing the awning, removing the mounting brackets, drilling and tapping new set screw holes then reassembling. Not as bad as it sounds but did take a little time. Everything is reassembled and the up/down limit switchs readjusted.
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse