Author Topic: Draining Fuel Tank Water  (Read 2084 times)

steve zannella

Draining Fuel Tank Water
« on: April 22, 2019, 08:26:52 PM »
I have just read a CAT service interval chart and one of the things to do is drain water from the fuel tank. I have not had this service done since owning the coach. I have noticed a drain plug on the bottom of the fuel tank but am reluctant to mess with it. Has anyone had this done.  No service mechanic has recommended it.

SEBU7186-08 133Maintenance Section Maintenance Interval Schedule
PM Level 1 - Every 24 000 km (15 000 miles) or 9500 L(2500 US gal) of Fuel or 300 Service Hours
Air Compressor Filter - Clean/Replace ................................................ 138
Alternator - Inspect .............................................................................. 138
Battery Electrolyte Level - Check ......................................................... 141
Belt - Inspect ........................................................................................ 142
Belt Tensioner - Inspect ....................................................................... 145
Cooling System Supplemental Coolant Additive (SCA) - Test/Add ..... 163
Cylinder Head Grounding Stud - Inspect/Clean/Tighten ...................... 169
Engine Crankcase Breather - Clean .................................................... 175
Engine Oil Sample - Obtain ................................................................. 185
Engine Oil and Filter - Change ............................................................ 186
Fuel System Primary Filter - Clean/Replace ........................................ 204
Fuel System Secondary Filter - Replace ............................................. 208
Fuel Tank Water and Sediment - Drain ................................................ 211
Hoses and Clamps - Inspect/Replace ................................................. 213
Every 250 Service Hours
Cooling System Coolant Sample (Level 1) - Obtain ............................ 160

Mike Shumack

Re: Draining Fuel Tank Water
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 09:48:52 PM »
I wouldn't mess with it unless you have been getting water in your primary fuel filter.

If you do decide to drain, wait until the tank is near empty and have some large containers ready. The plan would be too loosen the plug enough so any water would start dripping out, but not to remove the plug entirely. However when you loosen the plug enough for water to drip out, your about a half thread from the plug coming out completely. The containers are just in case the plug did come out all the way. Ask me how I know about this...

If you are finding water in the tank (in your filters) on more than one occasion, one of those drain fittings where you just open/close a petcock rather than removing the entire plug would be desirable as long as the bottom of the tank is high enough so there is no chance that drain valve could ever be knocked off. IMO.

Gerald Farris

Re: Draining Fuel Tank Water
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 09:54:12 PM »
Steve,
My view point on draining the fuel tank is that if I never get water in my primary fuel filter/water separator, have no issues with microbe growth (diesel algae) in the fuel, and I am always buying fresh fuel from high volume fuel stops, there is no reason to drain the tank.

Gerald