Author Topic: Hydraulic tank  (Read 2553 times)

Lawrence Tarnoff

Hydraulic tank
« on: May 02, 2019, 05:43:41 PM »
Cummins Shop discovered pinhole leaks in hydraulic tank.  Called Monaco to see about a replacement but none available.  I directed them to try BCS.  If none available any suggestions as to who can fabricate a new tank if this one is irreparable?  Corrosion seems to be the culprit

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: Hydraulic tank
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 06:26:01 PM »
You might try NW RV Supply.

http://www.nwrvsupply.com/
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Pat Long

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 09:03:46 PM »
Take it out and have it repaired, weld the areas effected

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 03:42:14 AM »
Depending on the amount of rust it will be hard to weld. One way to repair involves welding on separate plates to cover the rusted areas, a good fab shop could do this quick and easy. Remove tank, wash out all the oil, sand off the paint, cut plates to cover the rust areas and weld her up. Pressure test to check for leaks, paint and reinstall.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:32:12 PM »
Alas, damage too extensive for weld repair, according to fabrication shop.  The guy at Cummins says he has a lead on a replacement.

Lawrence Tarnoff

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 06:12:05 PM »
Cummins found a “close enough” replacement and did a nice job of modifying it as part of my spring service.  Also discovered my steer tires were marked 2009 and replaced Goodyear with Hankook.  I was worried about cost of replacing the tank, but that was less than $200 for parts and labor.