Author Topic: Aqua Hot Parts  (Read 4724 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Aqua Hot Parts
« on: May 06, 2019, 10:00:54 PM »
Who has changed out the mixer valve on the 07 AH?  The coli in is a simple connector and the hot in is as well but the white connector for the coach output side is odd.  Anybody know how that comes apart?  Almost looks like a quick connect.  Best to have parts available before taking this out its 12 years old.

A second issue is the heat register under the washer / dryer.  If I pull the washer, is there a panel underneath to access the heat register?

Thanks all!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Aqua Hot Parts
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 10:23:50 PM »
I can't see your connector, Keith, but it may be a 'Shark Bite' type push in connector. If so, to remove the PEX, you push in on the collar (my guess, its light tan in color) and pull out the PEX.
Anyway, that's what I can see from here!

Good luck!
Bill
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 10:51:32 PM »
Ok Bill that might be it.  There is a collar like a quick connect but not.  I was looking to see how it came out of the valve body but perhaps you pull out the pex and just unscrew it from the valve. I hope it goes back on the PEX .
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »
If it is a shark bite fitting, they are reusable, but I think I would just head to the hdwe store and replace w/new. One less thing to worry about.
525 hp C13

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 02:58:11 AM »
Right again Bill.  Didn't see your last post until after it was done.  Valve is in and new zip ties and all ready to go.  Water pressure test and no leak.  Final clean up and let it set under pressure and one of the shark bite fittings at the very back wall begins leaking.  I strongly suggest replacing  all 5 fittings.
Now where can I find them.  Local store has nothing.  Off to Home Depot one town over!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Sprague

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2019, 04:52:25 PM »
The white plastic push on fittings used to be under the brand of "Whale".  Now more likely is the brand "Watts".   

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BO6R02/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2019, 05:25:28 PM »
When it comes to installing push connect fittings in the Aqua Hot plumbing, personally I would only use SharkBite fittings because they are much more tolerant of high temperature and pressure than the plastic Watts fittings. Even though they are a few dollars more, they are well worth the difference in price.

Gerald

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 09:08:23 AM »
Carol did find the exact replacement fittings on Amazon.  The are not on the Prime list so it sits waiting for parts.  Gerald you are spot on with the need for something to hold up under the heat.  My OEM fittings are brittle and one is cracked and these are the ones way to the back that were not part of the fix.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 06:53:39 PM »
Gerald, Shark bite makes push-on fittings in both brass and plastic. Are you saying brass is prefered over plastic for HW? I'm just about ready to use a plastic Shark bite brand coupling on the main HW supply line to my manibloc.  Please clarify if you prefer brass over plastic.
Thanks!
525 hp C13

Gerald Farris

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 10:27:43 PM »
Bill,
Although SharkBite plastic fittings have a temperature ratting that should be adequate for your application, I was referring to the brass SharkBite fittings that have even a higher ratting. However, my comment above was to caution against the Watts plastic fitting that are marginal at best for your application.

Gerald

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 10:35:21 PM »
Thanks Gerald, Think I'll keep the plastic Shark bite for spare and replace w/ brass.

Thanks!
525 hp C13

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:07 PM »
Keith
Replaced my mixing valve in February during our stay in Kerrville TX.  Not particularly easy but doable.  Found a direct replacement on line.  Kind of Spendy about 165 dollars.  be sure to set the temp before reinstalling.  I found out the hard way.  Thought it was preset to 145 degrees.  the Plumbing uses PEX and sharkbite connectors.  you can get the PEX at Lowes or Home Depot.  I finally found the original plastic sharkbite connectors  at a RV repair place where they actually worked on AQua Hots.  Would recomment replacing all tubing and connectors. Be sure the PEX tubing is cut to same length and is an exact square cut off,  maybe a small pipe or tubing cutter.  if not exactly square you may have leaks. 
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 06:25:17 AM »
Bob, is there no hole through the floor of the Aqua Hot right under the mixer valve on your rig?  I just used ours to turn up the heat on the mixer valve.
Interestingly the setting on the new valve was just good and warm.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Bob Reeves

Bob Reeves

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 04:20:39 PM »
Keith,
a big DUH and a slap to my forehead!  I actually had removed the rubber boot going through the hole in the floor.  Did not think to look up to access the screw in the adjusting knob on the top of the valve.  Did your valve just stick or was it otherwise defective.  I think mine had just stuck.  you can clean them up and actually get some replacement internal parts for the valve.  It has been suggested to clean the old one and keep it for a spare. 
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder
45 ft  Cat C-13 525 HP
2019 Chevy Traverse
DW  Betty Jo.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 10:51:32 AM »
Bob, ours was very difficult to turn when we got this coach and got worse.  It was frozen solid now.  i have heard stories about the mixer valve going out and surprising someone in the shower with very hot or cold.  I had the new one so this spring was the time along with anual tune up. 
I did keep the old one just for fun.  I am soaking it in penetrant just now.  I cant imagine going through the replacement and not using new.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!
The following users thanked this post: Bob Reeves