Author Topic: 1998 Patriot Slide Wipe Seal Configuration  (Read 2232 times)

Bill Drout

• BAC Member
1998 Patriot Slide Wipe Seal Configuration
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:55:02 AM »
I'm trying to reconstruct the original slide seal configuration on the sofa/kitchen slide on my 1998 Patriot.  I'm not talking about the super slide seal across the bottom of the slide.  I'm talking about the seal that goes vertically up the sides of the coach and then across the top. 

When I bought the coach, there was a combination bulb/wipe seal on the outside wall of the coach that mashed up against the side of the slide when fully retracted.  There is also a bulb/wipe seal combination around the slide on the inside of the coach.  The bulb/wipe on the inside of the coach appears to be original and has seen better days.  The seal on the outside of the coach was clearly wrong.  It did not fit and was causing a problem, so I removed it.  (Fortunately I store the RV under covered parking).  So I'm trying to find out what, if anything, goes back in its place, and I'm trying to determine how to replace the inside bulb/wipe seal combo.

I called BCS and they confirmed that the correct seal is a 1" D-seal (bulb) with a 1 3/8" wipe.  That matches what I see on the inside of the coach and would create a seal when the slide is fully extended.  I asked them if it goes on both the inside and outside of the coach wall, and I asked them how it attaches.  I got conflicting answers from the people I talked to there.  It seems logical to me that I would need some sort of bulb seal on the outside against the wall of the slide when it is fully retracted, but I'm trying to find out for sure. 

Does anyone have any information (and pictures?) of the seal configuration for this model year Patriot?  Attached are pictures of the inside bulb/wipe seal.  As you can see from the pictures, the "wipe" part of the horizontal seal at the top is completely gone.  Any info you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill Drout
1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello - 40'
CAT 3126B

Gerald Farris

Re: 1998 Patriot Slide Wipe Seal Configuration
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 03:14:03 PM »
Bill,
Your coach uses the same seal on both the inside and outside. It is a white blub seal with a wiper that runs against the slide. The replacement seal comes with the touch sensitive adhesive already applied, and it is sold by the foot. So you just measure the total length that you need and add a foot or two for the corner splices, then call BCS, and they will ship it to you. Then with the mounting surface perfectly clean (the hardest part of the whole job is cleaning the mounting surface), you cut the new seal and place it in the proper location and press straight in to set the adhesive. Lap the corners like the old seal and seal with Lexel where necessary. Be careful to let the adhesive set and have the side of the slide clean and smooth so the moving the slide does not pull off the new seal.

When it comes to replacing the inside seal, I would not do that unless it is unavoidable. The outer seal should stop all water and wind leaks when the slide is extended, and it is so much work to remove the trim and work with limited access.

Gerald

Bill Drout

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 06:23:18 PM »
Hi Gerald,
  Thanks for your advice.  I don't want to try to replace that inboard seal unless it's absolutely necessary. 

Do you have any recommendations on products to use to clean/prep surface to accept the new adhesive on the seal?
Bill Drout
1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello - 40'
CAT 3126B

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 08:35:05 PM »
Bill,
There is no easy answer to your question. Usually there is a layer of dense foam with the adhesive attached that will pull off of the weather-strip, but if you are careful, you can get most of it to come off with the rubber weather strip. Any of the foam strip that is left attached can be removed with a plastic scrapper or just by rolling it off with your thumb. After all of the foam strip is removed, you can clean the surface with a good body shop grade solvent like Acrysol.

Gerald