Author Topic: Experience with replacement convection microwave ovens  (Read 2191 times)

Bruce Sieloff

Experience with replacement convection microwave ovens
« on: May 12, 2019, 02:24:39 AM »
The convection oven part of the GE Advantium convection microwave in our 2003 Marquis just died. We are both sad and amazed that a new millennium appliance lasted 16 years.  (They certainly don't build them like the still working 1952 Coldspot refrigerator that my parents bought 67 years ago.  My brother now uses it for beer!)   We've narrowed down our replacement to the GE Profile or the Whirlpool.  We see that a number of folks replaced theirs with the GE model, but the Whirlpool (Model:WMH78019HV)has good reviews (even better than the GE on some features) and we like a lot of its features.  Does anyone have any experience with a Whirlpool convection microwave?

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Re: Experience with replacement convection microwave ovens
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 02:24:46 PM »
 Greetings Bruce,
  I have installed 15 Microwave/Convection ovens the majority were GE Profiles and all my customers were happy. I vent all my installations to the outside using the Chrome splendide washer/dryer vent. It has a self closing flap that only opens when operating. Most installations by manufacturers blow the exhaust thru a charcoal filter back into the coach which negates your air conditioner. There are ongoing debates about creating negative air pressure inside the coach when venting to the outside but my experience over the years has proven there are so many air leaks built into a coach it is hard to create.
   The latest Microwave/Convection I installed was a Kitchen Aid with all the controls scrolled along the bottom of the door. I was impressed with the ease of operation especially if your Bride is vertically challenged and you cook with microwave and convection at the same time. (really fast results). The only draw-back is that Kitchen-Aid is pricey. It should go on sale at Home Depot the 16th when their Memorial day sale begins..

Blessings & Joy,  Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 12:24:58 PM »
All new Entegra coach's come with the Whirlpools and we had nothing but back luck with it trying to cook anything. After finally complaining on deaf ears we removed ourselves and installed the GE Profile Advantium 120 and as this is an upgraded model to the GE's we had in both our Beavers due to its being able to brown while cooking we are extremely happy with it. Cost is normally quoted at around $2500.00 but if you shop and use any military discount you can get at around $1100.00 from LOWES as we did.
When contacting Whirlpool Customer Assistance, after an hour wait on phone, they tried to tell us that we did not know how to cook. Entegra verified that they are very difficult to deal with.
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bruce Sieloff

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
Thanks for the responses, it appears that replacements are always a crapshoot, but I think we will try the Kitchenaid. We like the steam clean features (no more scrubbing exploded food off the stainless steel interior) and the performance looks better than most. Kitchenaid is mostly an upbranded Whirlpool and a bit more expensive, but they seem to be well regarded if not well represented. Our current GE Advantium has soldiered on since 2002 but the new units don't seem to offer any more useable features to me, I'm a time and temp/power guy and the preprogramed times never seem to work well. Replacement seems straight forward, as is the venting. We may swing past Tucson and have Fred punch a hole in the coach for outside venting this fall. This part of the RV adventure is just one of those things...