Author Topic: Entry Step Malfunction  (Read 4010 times)

Charles Bentley

Entry Step Malfunction
« on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:22 PM »
[face=Arial][/face][size=14][/size] We have a 2004 Patriot.  The front entry step would not come out.  The circuit breaker is working.  Pursuant to the Owner's Manual, I located the magnetic switch on the inside bottom of the door frame.  I bought a small magnet and ran it across the switch and sure enough, the step came out.  When I removed the magnet, the step went in.  If I turned off the step switch above, I couldn't get the step to move in or out, even with the magnet.  If I turn the top switch on and ran the magnet across the bottom magnetic switch I could get the step out.  I can then turn off the upper switch and the step will stay out.  If I then turn on the engine, the step will not come in, as it is supposed to do.

The owner's manuel infers that I can reset the polarity of this magnetic switch by using a magnet.  I can't figure out how to permanently reset this switch so it operates correctly when I open or close the door or start the engine.  Do you have any ideas?  Charles Bentley

Ken Buck

Re: Entry Step Malfunction
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:33:43 AM »
I found on mine, that the magnet was just not close enough to work all the time to shut off the dash light. The ignition switch always brought the step in, but the dash light would stay on. I "cut" off the part attached to the moving part of the step (held on with silicone type sealer/glue) and re-mounted it closer. I used a folded piece of paper to make the right gap between the pieces and taped it in place while the new glue dried.

Is it possible that your magnet is too far from the pickup switch?

In my coach the step comes out if I open the door, regardless of ignition switch status, leading me to believe one of the door switches operates the motor also. Is it possible one of them is corroded/not making contact?

Ken

Charles Bentley

Re: Entry Step Malfunction
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 01:04:22 AM »
Thanks Ken:  I cleaned both sides of the magnet switch, which were slightly greasy.  It still didn't work after cleaning.  I noted there was a large space between the contacts when the door was closed.  I stuck the magnet on the door contact point and closed the door softly.  The step went in.  I removed the magnet and the door then functioned perfectly.  I'm not sure what fixed the problem, but it now works.  Thanks for your help.

Charles