Author Topic: Solar Panel Controller  (Read 3140 times)

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
Solar Panel Controller
« on: May 17, 2019, 02:51:26 PM »
   Greetings fellow owners,
I am getting ready to add some more solar panels to my existing panels on my 2000 Marquis. The issue I am concerned about is the capacity of the controller (which I cannot find)and the rating on the 2 panels that Beaver installed when manufactured. The controller is NOT in the battery bay like on other models, I even removed the monitor panel above the dinette table looking for it because the monitor does give you Solar charge voltage and amperage. I am pretty sure someone out there in FORUM land has gone down this road and could advise me before I leave with my bride on a month long adventure that will include dry camping with my Samsung RF18 refer.
  Thanks for your considerations and have a wonderful Summer.
  Blessings & Joy, Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Solar Panel Controller
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 03:04:38 PM »
Fred, My solar controller is mounted on the ceiling of the compartment just ahead of the drive axle, the large pass thru bay.  AM Solar of Eugene Or, I think, did most of Beaver solar installs.  My panel is a 100w panel, can't recall the size of the controller, but it won't handle additional panels. By the way, the rule of thumb for solar is 100 w of solar per battery in your battery bank. SO, 4xgc2 batteries = 400w solar. Solar is just an expensive battery charger, not a primary power source. For each 100w solar panel,You should expect about 5 amps of charge current for 5 hrs/day or 25 amp hours of charge to replace what you draw from your battery bank. More panels, more amp hours. 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 04:27:10 PM »
Fred,
I owned a 2000 Marquis for 13 years and I never found the solar charge controller, but I did not spend a lot of time looking for it because it always worked (I was told it was on the back basement wall). Your coach came with two 75 watt panels, and I doubt very seriously if the controller will handle any additional panels. However, the biggest issue for you is the wiring from your current panels to the controller is not large enough to handle extra panels, so with the need to run extra wiring (usually down through the refrigerator vent), Therefore, you might as well just run a complete new system with wiring and a new MPPT controller. The MPPT controller will allow you to use 36 volt residential panels (usually 250 to 350 watts each) to charge your 12 volt batteries, The 36 volt residential panels are about half the price pre watt when compared to 12 volt panels. The only downside to using a MPPT controller is the added expense, but that will be offset by the cheaper panels and smaller wire necessary with the higher voltage. The wire from the controller to the batteries will need to be sized for the higher amperage and lower voltage from the controller.

Gerald   

Mark Bryant

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 06:28:05 PM »
Fred
When I added 400W's solar panels I made it a stand alone system and kept the old system in place. I later modified old system to be disconnected when in garage with leads to roof going to a panel on roof of garage to keep batteries charged as the garage does not electric.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 10:38:11 PM »
Like Bill’s, ours is on the ceiling of the waste tank access bay, a “hidden” door panel latched underneath, and immediately in front of the curbside rear wheels.  The bay also has most of the Aladdin modules.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Steve Chronquist

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 12:02:25 PM »
I have the same problem with my 2003 Monterrey Carmel 40 ft, in that have also been unable to find the solar controller. Would my controller also be mounted curb-side in the black tank Bay? Or is there someplace else I should be looking?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 12:10:14 PM »
In this partial photo of my waste tank bay, the controller is the HPV-30D white box to the left of the identified thermostat, on the wall toward the back of the coach.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 02:00:13 PM »
   Joel,
Thanks for the response, I looked in that enclosed compartment before I mounted the peg board. No controller to be found. I will take Geralds advice and pursue the residential panels and MPPT controller. More bang for your buck!
  Blessings, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

George Harwell

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 04:37:11 PM »
Steve, on my 03 Monterey the solar controller is mounted on the back of a carpet covered door in the first bay forward of the rear wheels. The Alladin system components are in there also. Replaced my controller with a Schneider Electric C-35 also known as a xantrex.

Lonne Mays

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 05:23:42 PM »
The solar panel controller in my 1999 Beaver Contessa is located in the forward end of the engine compartment.  When I stand at the foot of the bed and lift it up, I can look down to my right and see it mounted to the front vertical wall of the bed.