Author Topic: Does generator charge house or starting battery?  (Read 2091 times)

Jason Worman

Does generator charge house or starting battery?
« on: May 18, 2019, 08:16:08 PM »
Hi everybody

I have a basic question, does the generator charge either the house or starting battery while running?

Jason

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Does generator charge house or starting battery?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 09:02:36 PM »
Yes, Just like when you are on shore power, your inverter/charger will charge both chassis and house batteries.
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 02:15:29 AM »
In more detail, the generator and shore power supply 120v to the transfer switch.  The transfer switch transfers 110v to the inverter/charger.  The charger unit internal to the inverter converts the 110v to 12+v and sends 12+v power to the house batteries, and that same 12+v power is sent on to the chassis (starter) batteries through the Big Boy/BIRD system after the house batteries have been sufficiently charged.

So... yes, both the generator and shore power will charge both the house and chassis batteries IF the transfer switch, inverter/charger, AND Big Boy/BIRD system are ALL working properly.

From the engine, the engine's alternator sends 12+v to the chassis batteries, and that same 12+v power is sent through the Big Boy/BIRD system after the chassis batteries have been sufficiently charged.

The Big Boy/BIRD system is an important system used to keep both the house and chassis batteries charged.  Note:  Some coaches have an ECHO charger or some similar bi-directional device instead of a Big Boy/BIRD system.

BIRD means Bi-directional Isolator Relay Delay.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 02:04:02 PM »
Greetings Jason,
  Your 91 Contessa has a basic charging system that was common for that era. If you look upward on the ceiling of the battery compartment you will find the wiring and components that charge your batteries. The inverter/converter just charges the house batteries. I believe your 91 was before the installation of the Echo Chargers. The device was made by Heart Interface and is still made by Xantrex. Here is how that works: When on shore power or generator the inverter/ converter starts to charge the house batteries. When the echo charger senses the house batteries are above 13.2 volts it then latches onto the chassis batteries and starts to charge them. Most common problem with that device is the inline 20amp fuse going to the chassis battery is blown.
Hope this helps, Blessings & Joy Fred Brooks
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson