Author Topic: Allison Transmission  (Read 4890 times)

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
Allison Transmission
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:12:07 PM »
Several weeks ago my surge protector/transfer switch got fried by a lightening strike. I have replaced with a new unit.

Today when I started the coach several new items have popped up. I have a 2006 Monterey with a Cat C9 engine and Allison transmission. In the mode box a symbol that looks like lightening bolts appears. Nothing happens when you push N, the same lightening symbol appears. Above the speedometer a light says check transmission and one that says LTC.

Any suggestions, I do not know which model Allison transmission I have. I did not try and put the transmission in drive or reverse.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
Re: Allison Transmission
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
Guessing yours is a 3000MH tranny.

See diagnostics on pg 50. I've heard that there is a small fuse behind the pushbutton shift pad that can blow.

http://bacrallies.com/PDF/PDF%20Manuals/allisoninformation/Allison%20Transmission.pdf
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 03:20:03 AM »
Thanks for the information. I forgot to mention there is a small red light in the corner of mode switch. I tried the pushing the up and down arrows and then mode with no results. In the next couple of days I am going to visit an Allison facility listed on their website.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 03:55:59 AM »
to retrieve codes with the key on you push the up and down arrows simaltainously twice
when your in code mode you will get a number 1 and then it will give you a two digit code followed by two digit desciption  number
this will repeat untill you press the mode button which will move you to the number 2 for the second code and so on
good luck
Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 04:12:04 PM »
I have a technician scheduled to come Tuesday to look at the Allison transmission. If the Electronic Transmission Control is bad, does anyone know where it is located on a 2006 Monterey?  Help would be greatly appreciated.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Mike Shumack

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
On the '05 Patriot, the Allison ECM is behind the inside wall panel at driver's left knee, and the Allison VIM  is in the front Electric Bay (compartment under drivers window).

I don't know about your 06 Monterey, but you might start looking in these locations.
Also, note that there are some fuses in the VIM (so if you get a chance, check those and maybe save yourself a road call expense).

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 12:22:06 AM »
I don’t see the Allison modules in the electric bay or elsewhere on my coach.  I’m guessing they are under the driver’s left console that Mike refers to.  Under the velcroed-down dash access panel in front of the steering wheel is a metal “pod” with several components, including the tranny diag. plug.  See photo below.

The owners manual has a brief system description that may contain some useful info on page 294:
https://beaveramb.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/2006_Monterey-Manual.pdf

If you need wiring diagrams, p.m. me and I’ll email a couple that may be somewhat helpful... this frustrating Forum system tells me they’re too large even though they’re each well reduced below 300kb.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:03:35 AM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2019, 05:08:27 PM »
Thanks to everyone that has posted help to my Allison transmission problems.
A technician from W. W. Williams came out yesterday and got everything going.  Needed both a new ECU and shifter.

Two last questions:
On the dash where the different warning lights appear there is one on the far right that says ATC, can someone tell me what that stands for?
Also, are the chassis fuses the ones located by the batteries, if not where are they located?
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 05:39:16 PM »
The ATC system is Automatic Traction Control.  It is basically an electronically controlled posi-trac system.  You should have a rocker switch on the panel to the left of the driver that turns it on and off.  (My little dog loves to turn that button on for me.)
You should not need that system unless you find yourself in slippery conditions (snow, mud or sand).

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »
Richard is correct re. the ATC.  I used mine only once years ago when I had stopped on a very icy road to ask directions from a passing motorist.  I switched the ATC on only long enough to get rolling again, then turned it off.  It helps keep wheels from spinning upon torque application, but shouldn’t be left on once the coach has momentum.

Above the batteries in a small cabinet:  to the left rear of the Big Boy are high-amp (~200 amp) chassis fuses;  one fuse relates to the alternator, one to the engine fuse box, one to the generator, and one to the hydraulic pump and the common fuse panel in electrical bay.  Your basic chassis devices, like headlights and ignition and dozens more, are wired through circuit breakers in the frontmost streetside “electrical” bay, below the driver.

To the right rear of the Big Boy are the high-amp house fuses;  one 300 amp fuse is from the house batteries and ties through to the inverter and via your red House Main switch to power the other high-amp house fuses above it, as well as it connects the solar panel in.  One fuse connects to a breaker in the electrical bay panel, one feeds the slide out pump, and one feeds the small black 12v fuse box and the multiplex modules in your bathroom cabinet, as well as circuit breakers for the HydroHot, Aladdin, LP gas, and other devices.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Ok, I have taken care of the ATC light.

Now for circuit breakers in the outside cabinet below driver's window, I see nothing that looks like breakers to me. I see:

Box marked HWH
Box marked Aladin
Box marked Magum
Box marked VIP Control Module
Also, 21 relays

Any idea what I am missing. I am not very smart when it comes to electric things.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9

Gerald Farris

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 06:57:40 PM »
Tom,
The things that you are calling relays are probably automatic resetting circuit breakers. They automatically open when heated from excess current flow and reset or close after they cool instead of having to be manually reset like the circuit breakers that you are use to in your home.

Here is a link to an automatic resetting circuit breaker.
https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58350-Universal-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B001GN6TM8/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=automatic+resetting+circuit+breaker&qid=1559239163&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Gerald
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 07:03:01 PM by Gerald Farris »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2019, 08:05:28 PM »
The little black boxes, about 1" cubes, are the relays.  The two or three vertical bus bars have the self-resetting copper-colored fuses.  Each fuse position has a screw on each side with wires connected coming from wire bundles, the relays, etc., to the fuse positions' two screws.

The large bus bar to the left of the low-placed solenoid is always hot.  The large bus bar to the right of the low-placed solenoid is hot only when the key is turned on.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2019, 08:08:05 PM »
All the ones marked on this legend with the prefix “CB” are the circuit breakers Gerald refers to, and are in three busses (columns) above the ignition solenoid.  To the left of them are your relays, prefixed with “K”s.  To the right of the breaker busses are two Terminal Busses or bars where various devices’ wires junction.  To the left of the solenoid are two smaller Ground busses.

Your CAT 350 engine may result in some slight deviations in the legend from my CAT 400.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 30, 2019, 08:13:54 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tom Webber

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 11:53:02 PM »
I am amazed with the knowledge the members of this group has and I had never heard of this type of fuse.

If anyone gets near Atlanta, my wife and I are gate attendants at Duckett Mill Campground on Lake Lanier. We will be here to 9/15 and look forward to meeting fellow members of BAC.
06 Monterey
CAT 350HP C9