Author Topic: Gray tank doesn't operate  (Read 2724 times)

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
Gray tank doesn't operate
« on: May 21, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »
Hello everyone,  currently working on the Beaver and I'm set up a the FamCamp on DM here in AZ.  First time setting up the unit since I've purchasing it last Oct.  Went to check the black and gray tanks switch and I hear the black tank opening and closing but the gray is dead.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated.   ~Mitch
45' 2007 Marquis - Moonstone C15 Cat
2018-2020 40' 2000 Marquis - Tourmaline

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
Re: Gray tank doesn't operate
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 02:16:59 AM »
Thank you for the links, 8 years are the expected life of these units. I may end up replacing both them.

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 03:15:31 AM »
Larry, I have found that the valves can seem comatose, but in fact are  just stuck. If you can, see if you can loosen the 4 mounting screws just a half turn or so to see if this frees up the valve. They also are protected by a 5a fast blow fuse, the glass type, you'll find the fuseholder behind the wet bay panel if yours are similar to mine. Ive had the distinct pleasure of replacing three valves, and, in fact, only one was 'bad', the others, temperamental. 
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 02:45:15 PM »
If properly installed, then the dump valves will have an Allen wrench fitting which allows for their operation manually.  When my dump valves were getting temperamental, I would open the water bay panel enough to reach in to manually turn the valves.  Sometimes this would unstick them and they would work for a while.  But as pointed out in the links I posted below, their expected life per the manufacturer is about eight years.  Another thing noted to me by the manufacturer is to not hold the button down if the valve is not moving.  Doing so will quickly burn up the valve motor... then replacement is required.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Michael Peters

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 03:55:51 PM »
The hard part to start with is access, removing panel. We have been full time for 10 years,have original valves.My issues twice has been with the electrical. Mine have inline fuses near the valves. Both times it was with the fuses coming loose or corroision,they are nowsealed tight with tape.I have cut an access on the upper right side of my panel,that makes it easier to inspect.That panel can be cut with 4 1/2" grinder with a Zip blade. Now I pull that and can inspect easily and you will have leaks and issues behind that panel

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 04:46:19 PM »
We've all had issues with access behind the wet bay panel. My solution, cut the panel into 3 pieces. Thanks to others for the wood block idea to support the manibloc. Sorry for the fuzzy photos.

525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 04:47:41 PM »
Another photo of wet bay panel
525 hp C13

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 05:31:40 PM »
Michael, those fuses for the valves are in the worst location possible; Wet Bay stage II; I'll use a panel mount fuseholder so one can access the fuses without messing behind the panel. The fuseholders will fit in the panel area right above the switches for the tank valves. I'll post a photo (not blurry) when done.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5021/Panel_Mount_AGC_MDL_Fuse_Holder
525 hp C13

Laurence Mitchell

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2019, 02:36:45 AM »
Just got back for working on different issues with our Beaver. (knocking out my 4 page list slowly, I have 4 years to get er done before I retire)  I was able to get behind the water bay and found out our drain valve is a Auto Drain. Both switches are good and I found a replacement part in town.  Ran out of time today and I will not be able to work on it until Saturday, so hoping to get this swapped out.  Thanks for all the help and advice!