Author Topic: Controlling water bay temperature  (Read 2814 times)

Dwight Lakusta

Controlling water bay temperature
« on: May 22, 2019, 05:41:26 AM »
My water bay/pump area temperature seems to be really high by the inverter! I can feel the heat just blowing out of there, it’s the summer!...is there a thermostat for it? I can’t find one....

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: Controlling water bay temperature
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 10:41:46 AM »
Dwight
If I recall correctly the basement temp is controlled by one of the silver modules over the box / cabinet holding the water pump.  I believe your owners manusl mentions that?
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 12:56:23 PM »
I may be wrong about this, but from what I read on this, the Bay heat only comes on when the "Coach heat" (Aqua Hot) is On.
Are you running the Aqua Hot now - or do you have a different setup?

From my '05 manual:

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 01:51:34 PM »
   Hi Dwight,
  The only temperature control in that compartment is the t-stat inside the enclosed carpeted compartment and that only controls heating not cooling. The inverter/converter has its own internal fan for cooling. That fan will only come on when the device is in bulk charge or inverting with a heavy load. The manufacturer thought that location was sufficient enough to dissapate the heat. Are you getting any warning on the remote like over "temp"?
  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Neal E Weinmann

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 05:09:06 AM »
Is the coach plugged in and is your inverter operating (if only to energize its circuits and charge batteries)? If so, remember that it has a cooling fan in it that is relatively strong and will certainly warm the pump bay and the adjacent tank bay.
2005 Monterey Bayview IV
CAT C9 400HP
2018 Ford Edge Titanium

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 11:58:17 PM »
Well I think I have an issue with the T stat. I need to find it first. It’s 100 degrees in my water bay just checked on the Aladdin! 

I have the inverter runnng, but it’s not putting out that much heat!

Does anyone know where it is? What it looks like?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:23:30 AM by Dwight Lakusta »

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2019, 02:18:56 AM »
Our basement furnace, if the basement gets cold enough to actuate it, will warm the basement to 90+.  I think you don't have a problem.
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 02:31:47 AM »
The bay temp (Thermo sensor TCM) in the front of my tank bay plugs into its nearby Aladdin module (TCM: Temperature/Compass Module) and sends that info to my dash screen.  The heat exchanger is on that bay’s ceiling.  On the wall to its left (towards coach rear) is what I believe is the thermostat that should only turn on that exchanger when the bay temp approaches 40 degrees.  See below images for my configuration.

You may be right that something’s gone awry with that thermostat, so whenever the AquaHot is on the bay exchanger is failing to shut down.  My coach is not close to your model or year, but hopefully the pix of mine will help you locate the problem. 

Tap the image or it’s @address to enlarge and see my notations...

Joel

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:33:01 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Dwight Lakusta

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 04:54:30 AM »
So there are two pictures...... the sensor is in a different location on both pictures. Are there two sensors?

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 07:18:20 AM »
My apologies for your confusion.

There is a sensor that the Aladdin uses to monitor the actual bay temperature.  It does not control the heat at all.  That’s in the first photo and is a probe strapped in my coach to a black plywood upside-down U in the middle front of the bay... I marked it Thermo Sensor on the photo. 

The other device is an actual thermostat that turns the heat exchanger on at 40 to 45 degrees to prevent freezing in the bays.  It acts similarly to the thermostats in the coach’s living areas, except it isn’t adjustable;  it’s temp is permanently set.  When the bay temp gets above about 45, the thermostat shuts off the heat exchanger. 

Because it is mounted further back in the dark bay, I had to take a second photo, and marked the thermostat “Bay Thermo”.  To avoid confusion with the term “Thermo Sensor” I probably shouldn’t have been quite so thrifty with my lettering, and fully spelled out “Bay Thermostat” in yellow on the second photo, rather than simply “Bay Thermo”, so I’m reposting that photo.

Sometimes clicking on the address with the paperclip icon below posted photos will open a more immediately complete image.

Joel
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:31:15 PM by Joel Ashley »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat