Author Topic: Shock replacement  (Read 3198 times)

Adam Hicklin

Shock replacement
« on: May 22, 2019, 06:09:00 AM »
I had a missing bushing in one of the rear shocks. So I replaced all four of them. All the bushings were bad.  I’ll replace the front after a short trip this weekend.  This is a Magnum chassis with 8 airbags.  Four rear shocks and four front shocks.  I’m pretty sure these shocks were the original Bilstein shocks.  I read all the different arguments about Koni and Bilstein. In the end I went with the Bilstein.  Why? Because they were $100 per shock cheaper than the Koni.  When you need 8, I couldn’t justify $1500+ for shocks. My coach drove and rode well, so it gets the $80 per shock Bilsteins.  The Bilstein 24-020930 was the exact replacement and found them on line at Walmart, of all places.  The rears were a simple two bolt install with just minor access issues.  Impact driver and some long extensions made quick work of it.  I’m expecting the fronts to be a little easier because it doesn’t look as tight. If you’re thinking about changing shocks, it was a pretty simple install for my application. 

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
Re: Shock replacement
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 04:05:14 PM »
I know what you mean about the Bilsteins vs Koni debate....especially for the Roadmaster chassis that I have. I also went with the Bilsteins. Partially because of price, partially because I have Bilsteins on my Ram and Jeep, and partially because I was happy (for the most part) with the ride but just needed to get rid of the porpoising I was experiencing on large dips. I'm very happy with my choice.  ;D
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Michael Peters

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 08:27:45 PM »
Well I was near Grants Pass Or. this spring so I stopped by Hendrickson's Alignment for front tire wear issue that we've had since this coach was new. We upgraded the fronts to Toyo 144s 295. The load capacity was roughly 1000 lbs higher. Next they recommended replacing all shocks with Konis, I agreed to try the fronts and boy was I pleased with the ride and improved road control.I have about 1000 miles and the ride is noticeably better, porpoising and wander is greatly reduced. I'm sure I'll replace the rears now. The new tires I'm sure are part of the improvement ,we'll see if the strange wear pattern returns over time. Hendrickson's is definitely a first rate operation

Doug Allman

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 02:30:17 PM »
If you have never had a KONI shock on your coach you will never know the total difference it makes in every aspect of the ride and handling. When you pull into a campground and open the refrigerator door you will know the difference from another point of view. Your dear wife will tell you instantly.

Adam Hicklin

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2019, 06:27:08 AM »
I’ll never know.  The coach rides well.  Never had porpoising or things falling out of the fridge or cabinets.  From what I hear, the Konis have helped with those problems, but I had never had those problems. Just worn out bushings. I’m sure the Konis are great shocks.  But so are the Bilsteins.  And I have an extra $1000 for $4.20 CA diesel!

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2019, 01:01:24 PM »
That's why California residents heading home to SoCal - and anyone else for that matter - always stop in Yuma or  Ehrenberg to fill up.  They save $30 or $40 just filling their cars.

2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!