Author Topic: Air conditioner repair  (Read 2323 times)

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Air conditioner repair
« on: May 29, 2019, 03:32:54 AM »
So...the latest issue is air conditioners. 
While servicing the air conditioners (DUO THERM ).  The middle one (most used) sets to popping a d snapping and smoking.  Looking at the circuit board to make sure I did t get it wet, I ran it again and when the compressor kicked on the circuit board caught fire. 
I am no expert here but I am going with 'not good'.   
Does this imply the compressor is drawing to much or perhaps just a bad board? 
Because of the age do I need to replace all three and the thermostats?
Thanks all!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Lee Welbanks

Re: Air conditioner repair
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 12:00:17 AM »
Keith, Probably the compressor is shot, you would have to do some amp draw tests on it to find out, but probably best to just replace the unit. If the other two are still doing fine leave them alone. There are many posts in here about which new unit to get that will work with our setup.
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 02:49:07 PM »
Keith,
The thing that caught my attention here is the term "while servicing the air conditioners". So the questions need to be answered like what were you doing to the A/C units that may have caused this issue? Was the A/C unit working before you "serviced" it? Have you ran an amp draw test on the A/C unit? With the questions answered, we can better help you with a resolution. But if the answers come back that you did not cause the issue and the A/C unit was not working before you "serviced" it, I agree with Lee, just trash it and get one new replacement.

Gerald   
The following users thanked this post: Keith Moffett

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 07:52:55 AM »
Gerald
I was using a pump sprayer and dish soap with a soft spray of water and air to dry it out.   All to clean the condenser coils and just a touch of bleach water to clean the algae out of the drain tubes.
The AC did work before but was hard starting and didn't get very warm or cold.
BCS contacted Dometic and there is a board available but since it had problems already it is probably smart to just replace it.  This would mean new thermostats or old boards.
Also as mentioned on a different thread here Ed at Laurelhurstdistributors.com was very helpful.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!