Author Topic: SMC Leveling System Calibration  (Read 3154 times)

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
SMC Leveling System Calibration
« on: May 30, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
Purchased our 2002 Patriot with the SMC Leveling System a few months ago and still getting familiar with her.

When attempting to level in the Auto mode the system goes through what I consider a normal sequence until stopping w/the left, right and level indicators illuminated. Since it doesn’t terminate w/just the level light illuminated I suspect it is timing out before completing the process. I’ve attempted to “recalibrate” by following the directions in the SMC Leveling System Manual found in the Coach Assist section but I keep getting the same result. The only step I’m unable to duplicate is getting the system to the Zero Mode, which is the mode when shipped from the factory. Any assistance in operating/understanding this system would be greatly appreciate.
Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
Re: SMC Leveling System Calibration
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 04:47:30 PM »
Jack, have you checked the level of the hydraulic reservoir under the front  steps. If low on fluid it will not complete leveling process. This reservoir also supplies the front slide. That is where I would start. Hope this helps. Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 05:05:53 PM »
This reservoir also supplies the front slide. That is where I would start. Hope this helps. Frank.

Interesting.
Just curious - does the leveling and slide use the same hyd pump too? Is the Slide mechanism a SMC product too?

Frank Bergamo

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 06:35:04 PM »
Mike, yes. The pump controls both the slide and leveling on my 2002 Marquis. As far as the slide mechanism and what it is , I don't know. Never been into it. Someone else may chime in with that info. Thanks, Frank.
Frank & Paulette Bergamo
2019-       : 2007 Marquis Topaz IV  C-15 600 HP Allison 4000
2014-2019: 2002 Marquis Emerald C-12 505 HP Allison 4000
2004-2014: 1986 Executive Diplomat 3208 250 HP Allison MT-643
Grand Junction, CO.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:51:43 PM »
Jack,
Your slide/leveling pump and reservoir is probably located in the RR of your coach just inboard and forward of the battery bay. Most Patriots used this location instead of under the front steps like the Marquis.

Mike,
In the SMC era of Beaver production, most of the slides were HWH, and since there was an HWH pump and reservoir to operate the slide, they hooked the leveling jacks to the same pump. However, when Monaco built your coach, they used a complete HWH slide system including the pump, and then installed a Power Gear hydraulic leveling system including another pump, which in my opinion is a waste of space, weight, and money since the HWH pump could have operated both systems equally as well as the version that was installed.

Gerald

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2019, 12:28:12 AM »
Jack, my coach has the SMC system.  The reservoir is aft of the battery tray as Gerald said.  The pump is there also and controls the leveling system and the LR slides.  It is not super easy to get to but not too bad.  FYI mine has been switched to a manual system because the control board went bad and there were none to be found.  Good luck.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2019, 01:29:10 PM »
Jack, my coach has the SMC system.  The reservoir is aft of the battery tray as Gerald said.  The pump is there also and controls the leveling system and the LR slides.  It is not super easy to get to but not too bad.  FYI mine has been switched to a manual system because the control board went bad and there were none to be found.  Good luck.

Yep, mine was switched to a manual system too by Beaver Coach Sales before I bought it. So far it works pretty well.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Jack W Hannah

• BAC Member
  • 713 248-5405
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 08:57:11 PM »
I apologize for my late reply to each of your responses. I'll try to address each one now.

1. Frank - We just rebuilt the Hydraulic Pump and checked the fluid level prior to starting up the system and it was full.
2. Mike - Yes, the Hydraulic pump operates both the front slide and the leveling jacks. I don't have any info on the front slide mechanism itself.
3. Gerald - You're correct, the Hydraulic Pump is located in the right rear corner of the coach.
4. Jerry - Our coach has the SMC leveling system and the Hydraulic pump location as you describe. We're still tying to get the original SMC control pad to operate per the manual.
5. Fred - I may have to go this route myself before this is all over with.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

Jack Hannah
2002 Patriot 40B, Monticello
Cat 3126, Magnum Series B
The following users thanked this post: Jose Rita