Author Topic: Headlights and parking lights won’t come on.  (Read 10733 times)

Dale Malquist

Headlights and parking lights won’t come on.
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:08:44 PM »
Checked fuses and tried a different relay. Can hear, I think, a relay clicking when light switch is pulled in and out. Nephew thinks noise is coming from smart wheel panel.

Dale Malquist

Re: Headlights and parking lights won’t come on.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 01:10:53 PM »
Both the headlights and the parking lights do not come on with ignition on or off. I have power to the headlight switch but no lights in either position. Checked relays and fuses as previous reply suggested.

Searching the net for wiring schematics.

Dale Malquist

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 05:08:16 PM »
Apparently the headlight relay is activated through the smart wheel. I think. There are several symbols that are labeled “swc1, 2” etc. the location of relay k1 I do not know. I have changed the vip controller with another I had to no avail.
Can you help further?

Dale Malquist

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 08:34:21 PM »
I have power at #6 headlamp pwr coming out of the vip controller. According to the schematic that should actuate R11. I do not have power at R11 86. I also do not know what the rectangular symbol with swc2-6 is.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »
Dale,
SWC -2 is a connector; Smart Wheel Connector pin 2. When you refer to R11, I assume you are referring to the head light relay. If you don't have power on pin 86, either you've got a bad connection at SWC-2 or the relay being fed by the VIP controller is not functioning. If you've got 12V on pin 1 and gnd on pin 2, the relay should be activated. Then check for 12v on pin 3 and 4.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dale Malquist

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 11:28:30 PM »
Becoming clear. I have the smart wheel schematic for this particular smart wheel.
SWC2 is the J2 connector on the smart wheel controller. It has nine pins of which number six which is headlamps out. This wire feeds the coil on RLHL which is also RLll. This wire is marked 76 VIP Headlts out and goes from SWC2-6 to VCE on the pub. I have 12v at SMC2 pin 6 and have 0 at pin 86 on RLll.
Tomorrow I’ll on that wire.

Dale Malquist

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2019, 10:20:44 PM »
Steve:
I have voltage at pin 30 of the headlight relay. I do not have voltage on the wire going up the column.the wire going up the column is marked “high lo sw” I assume is the feed to the dimmer switch. The other two wires in the 3 wire bundle are marked high and low.
There must be a wire from the pcb that goes to the dimmer switch I can not find.

Dale Malquist

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 07:57:32 PM »
Steve:
I did find the wire from pcb to dimmer switch. It is VCE 1.
There is a better wiring diagram "07Contessa specific Elec Bay PCB Block Diagram2" that my brother-in-law found on the net. On there I found a fuse between terminal 30 on Rll and VCE1 that was blown. Then I found that the wire between pcb and dimmer switch is grounded. Going to bypass it.
I will email the diagrams and hope they help others.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2019, 12:14:24 AM »
Dale,
Good catch. The prints you sent are on the Coach Assist page. I loaded them a couple of years ago I should have looked at them rather than the diagram as the 2 documents do not agree. Also the fuse, F69 is labeled in the fuse list from Monaco as "Not Used Ign." I suspect it blew because of the grounded wire. One thing I always do if I suspect a fuse and it's not obvious as to which one is to use a 12v probe and run through all the fuses. Takes a couple of minutes but a good way to spot a bad one. Not the first time I've run into this sort of thing re Monaco prints. I'll update the fuse list and repost.
I'm going to delete a number of the back and forth posts between us and just leave the key ones and the solution if OK w/you.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Dale Malquist

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 06:09:37 PM »
As it turned out somewhere along the line somebody decided I didn't need the daytime running light module on the panel. Seeing an empty socket I plugged in a relay like all the others. This sent the headlights directly to ground blowing the fuse. I left the socket empty.