Author Topic: Flash code retrieval  (Read 3202 times)

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
Flash code retrieval
« on: June 16, 2019, 02:25:02 AM »
I am trying to check for old fault codes on my 2007 C13 engine. I have used the procedure in the owners manual (cruse control to off then hold down the set button) but I never get any codes, no flashing lights on the dash. I have a Smart Wheel and am wondering if the Smart Wheel electronics dont let the ecm see the set button is pushed for an extended period.
Has anybody else seen this? Am I doing someting wrong? Any work arounds?
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
Re: Flash code retrieval
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 02:58:29 AM »
Paul, think the information you are looking for is on Ask Dave, if not will you be going to FMCA in Minot in August if so I have my Cat ET with me if you need to pull up engine codes. And this winter
at the BAC Rally in desert . Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic
The following users thanked this post: Mike Tomas

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 07:18:39 AM »
Dave, I look forward to saying hi in Minot and having you run your computer on ours tool
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 03:24:14 PM »
Dave   Thank You   Unfortuniately I do not plan to be there. I did buy a code reader and the SPN code is 1045FM12. Looking up codes online it looks like brake switch #1. I have no idea what/where that is. Is this enough information to put me in a direction? Code is currently inactive but I would like to fix it before it gets worse.  Thanks again
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Scott Shearer

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »
Paul, I have also tried to retrieve flash codes using the procedure in the owner's manual. I know that I had logged codes but nothing was ever returned.

As you, I've wondered if it's a limitation of the Smart Wheel controller. I've thought about calling Vehicles Improvement tech support but never got around to it.
Scott & Susie Shearer
2006 Patriot Thunder
Lexington IV 40'
Cat C13
2015 JKU Hard Rock

Mike Tomas

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 05:41:18 PM »
if so I have my Cat ET with me if you need to pull up engine codes. And this winter
at the BAC Rally in desert . Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Dave, one of my biggest regrets is not being able to hook up with you in January Quartzsite for you to grab codes and advise me of PM issues you may have seen on our (now 1yo) coach. This is something I'm looking forward to the next Rockin' in Q.  Your advice is treasured and we do our best to follow it as closely as we can.
-Just my .02¢ of input. -Not to be confused with the $2.00 input from others.

[]\/[]Tomas
Phoenix, Arizona • Region 4
2000 Patriot Thunder 425
Princeton • Ketchum Creek
Magnum C-Series “Big Cat” Chassis
CAT 425 • Joined 201804

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 01:08:53 AM »
Paul, looking up the SPN- FMI Code your 1045-12 is not in the Caterpillar system for all C-13
engines. If you were using the blink method can you run it again other wise you will need to
connect Cat ET into your engine ECM. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:32:23 PM »
A few updates:
I contacted the manufacuture of my code reader (KZYEE 620). They responded with the following
I have checked with the technician, and he said, there is something wrong with your brake light switch, the signal of the CAN network is erratic, which is because of the unstable plug-in of the CAN network.
You may need to get in checked and repaired on the repair shop.
FYI, it is normal that different codes show the same fault.
That's what we got so far, hope this helps.
Further question, feel free to ask."

Did not think the brake light switch was controlled by the engine but I dont know.

Secondly I contacted VIP the maker of the Smartwheel. They said the "set" signal out of their controller stalys on as long as the "set" button is being depressed. I will check furthe but as we are getting ready to travel it will not be for a few days.

Hope thus helps somebody.
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Mike Shumack

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 11:14:37 PM »
How are you connecting your scanner to the coach - is this scnner just connected when you want to read codes, or do you leave it connected all the time? I googled KZYEE scanner and it appears to be of lower quality (made in China stuff) than the brand name tools. However I don't know this product so maybe I'm wrong. It's those cheapo scanners that Dave warns about.

I use a ScanGauge D (which I can confirm works fine with the C13).

The engine ECM does read the brake light signal. That is how it knows to disengage cruise when you step on the brake or to activate the Jake brake.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:20:09 PM by Mike Shumack »
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks